Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Doing Away With Boosted.... >

Doing Away With Boosted....

Doing Away With Boosted....

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
If I'm reading the first paragraph right, you're suggesting that everyone goes into the same class. OK, how are you going to feel when a beginner in the heat pulls out in front of you and totals your car and his? If you want to know what it is like to race slow and fast cars in the same race, just look at any video of Le Mans as the LMP1 cars try to pass the GT3 cars.

This idea is madness for any number of reasons. First, the fast and slow cars in the same heat (clubs don't have enough entrants to seed heats to avoid that) and second how many people do you think will stay in the sport when they are beaten by faster cars every week, week after week?

Of course 8th electric has picked up. From your description the car is easy to drive because set-ups aren't on the edge yet and relative to the weight of the car and grip of the tyres, they are slow! I think you just proved our point about classes that give slower cars being more popular, but for the reasons we usually find in off-road - relatively heavy cars with relatively low grip!
I race mostly off-road so maybe that is affecting my thinking, but when I come up on a "beginner", I know that's what he/she is. I wait to make my pass accordingly and even if we were to tangle, those cars rarely break. They may be breaking less because we traveling at lower speeds, they are simply stronger, both, or some other factor but I don't worry about it much. We also have enough people at our club races to field multiple heats so it is possible to seed skill level accordingly.

About the 8th scales speed, I was only referring to the "feel" or "look" of its speed. They are by no means slow, they just appear slower because they are larger.

Overall, I just don't like limiting the speed by requiring certain types of electronic equipment. There are people that can drive very fast without those limits, I cannot. That's because they are better at this than I am. I do not agree with having them drive a slower car so I can keep up. I still won't be able to keep up because again, they are (most likely) better at driving R/C cars than me.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
Not to highjack this thread but,

I've been out of RC for about 5 years so this whole boosted/blinky thing is news to me, having said that can someone point me to a good resource that I can read and learn exactly what boosted/blinky is?

Thanks!
blinky would be considered basic stock brushed racing,

boosted would be if you were able to run a mod motor in stock, but instead of the power coming from the motor the ESC applies boost to the motor with a infinite or (shit ton) of settings to control how the boost comes on.

easier seen then explained, but imagine having a stock 27t brushed motor that you could run in the mod class against 10 t motors

most of the guys here.... wanna run mod speeds without having to buck up and actually run mod.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
blinky would be considered basic stock brushed racing,

boosted would be if you were able to run a mod motor in stock, but instead of the power coming from the motor the ESC applies boost to the motor with a infinite or (shit ton) of settings to control how the boost comes on.

easier seen then explained, but imagine having a stock 27t brushed motor that you could run in the mod class against 10 t motors

most of the guys here.... wanna run mod speeds without having to buck up and actually run mod.
Well yes, but no. A heavily boosted 17.5's still no match for a mildly boosted 3.5.......

It's all about how you handle the rip.......
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

I don't know if I agree with this considering that the vta thread is one of the most popular on road threads on rc tech. Heck we can't even get a stable tc class at our track at all. Mod or blinky. Usgt and vta are by far the most popular classes at our track.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I don't know if I agree with this considering that the vta thread is one of the most popular on road threads on rc tech. Heck we can't even get a stable tc class at our track at all. Mod or blinky. Usgt and vta are by far the most popular classes at our track.
True, but I still find that scenario to be odd.

In the "good ole' days", the goal was always to get good enough to graduate to Mod.

Now, it seems like the goal is to win whatever "spec" class an individual can find an advantage in.

Seems weird to an "old-school" racer like me.

Just the New World Order I guess.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
True, but I still find that scenario to be odd.

In the "good ole' days", the goal was always to get good enough to graduate to Mod.

Now, it seems like the goal is to win whatever "spec" class an individual can find an advantage in.

Seems weird to an "old-school" racer like me.

Just the New World Order I guess.
I seems to me that if everyone was of equal skills, the "Spec" classes would be all about who has the best batteries and the the newest/best motor. In other words if you have the skills, it's all about the money.
I think all spec races should be claiming races for the batteries and the motors to keep anyone from buying a custom $200.00 motor.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lostinbaja
I seems to me that if everyone was of equal skills, the "Spec" classes would be all about who has the best batteries and the the newest/best motor. In other words if you have the skills, it's all about the money.
I think all spec races should be claiming races for the batteries and the motors to keep anyone from buying a custom $200.00 motor.
That's the whole deal with blinky vs. boosted. With blinky it's all hardware, so that $200 motor offers a significant advantage. With boosted it's all about tuning the package you have. Much better IMHO.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lostinbaja
Claiming rules suck, IMO. Why should the racer who has the patience and know-how to select/tune/find a better motor be punished because the rest of the competition wants to run a stock off-the-shelf piece? That's tantamount to saying everyone should be running the box-stock/kit setup on their cars... why prohibit someone from being allowed to "tune" something and find an advantage?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Claiming rules suck, IMO. Why should the racer who has the patience and know-how to select/tune/find a better motor be punished because the rest of the competition wants to run a stock off-the-shelf piece? That's tantamount to saying everyone should be running the box-stock/kit setup on their cars... why prohibit someone from being allowed to "tune" something and find an advantage?
Didn't you get the memo? It is because EVERYONE is forced to buy the most expensive motors, and EVERYONE is forced to buy the most expensive batteries, and EVERYONE burns up a motor every week, and every time someone races blinky a puppy gets poked with a sharp stick.

A real shame in my book.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
every time someone races blinky a puppy gets poked with a sharp stick.

A real shame in my book.
That's exactly why I hate it so much
Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
That's tantamount to saying everyone should be running the box-stock/kit setup on their cars... why prohibit someone from being allowed to "tune" something and find an advantage?
+1

Oddly enough this statement can weigh in for boosted AND blinky. Either way a racer can gain an advantage...
Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Try going to a "Big" race and watch how open practice works out. In theory this is great. In practice its a big f-in mess. You want to kill onroad completely this is a way to do it.
Ive been to plenty of 'big races', on and offroad. Any type of change would require a learning curve... and we can all agree that open practice is greatly different from quals or mains. If quals and mains were like open practice... it might not be so bad... either way. But i digress...

Actually.....doesn't just about every form of racing have some sort blinky rule

Help me out here, which type of racing is unrestricted, run what ya brung.
1/8th electric truggy/buggy offroad. Blinky isnt an issue, and one reason i run those classes. No one said 'run what ya brung'...
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Why can't onroad and offroad electric, just do away with motor class and make it like nitro. You have sportsman, intermediate and pro. It might be hard to do for club racing but bigger events you could do it. If you placed in the A main in the sportsman class at a big event, then the next year you cant run sportsman at that event the following year. This way you dont have to worry about boost or not, if you choose to run a boosted 17.5 then don't get upset if you get beat by someone running a 8.5 and vice versa.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
That's the whole deal with blinky vs. boosted. With blinky it's all hardware, so that $200 motor offers a significant advantage. With boosted it's all about tuning the package you have. Much better IMHO.
That's why boosted is great, any crap motor and battery will work. Ohm's law is negated by boost.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi316
Why can't onroad and offroad electric, just do away with motor class and make it like nitro. .
Because it's not nitro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.