Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Doing Away With Boosted.... >

Doing Away With Boosted....

Doing Away With Boosted....

Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

If those people weren't racing boosted then you could have a mod class.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoelV
I vote a moderator immediately close stupid boost/blinky threads as soon as they start.
Oh we watch these threads and usually we catch people swearing seeing their blood pressure rise. It usually takes a day or two before the name calling starts happening and then we close it.

Tracks do what they need to do in order to survive. If your track runs blinky and you car counts go up then they did something right. If your track runs open speedo and car counts go up then they too are doing something right. Is one better than the other, probably not. However, It is nice to see people having fun with their cars and all of the b.s. and laughing going on in the pits. That is hard to argue with.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy
If those people weren't racing boosted then you could have a mod class.
Nope, cuz they all run blinky.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
somebody just ran over this horse....and its still alive...

blinky is better for the onroad program to get more ppl racing and stay racing

boosted is better for guys who need that speed that the track can handle

mod is for fast guys that have no limit...and they scare guys running boosted
Perfecto!!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well since this on topic...this year for the US VTA Southern Nationals in Music City, USA...Sept 21-23rd.....Me and Dirla is offering 12th scale...but which version?

17.5 blinky
17.5 boosted
13.5 blinky
13.5 boosted

we have new carpet and sub-floor thats very smooth...any idea...oh track is 90+ by 45+
Attached Thumbnails Doing Away With Boosted....-p1010647-1.jpg   Doing Away With Boosted....-p1020100.jpeg  
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IMHO

Blnky = The Quest for a MORE Perfect Motor... changing rotors, stators trying to get the perfect one - switching brands looking for a faster one.

BOOST = Run the motor you have - tweak the program to achieve the speed needed to compete.

Again, IMHO Lipo Batteries are close enough - you don't have to chase them much...but motor combos are a whole different game.

Now, if a BLINKY ESC had to be used with motors that were Sealed, Dyno'd and BluePrinted with-in a .003% equal power/torque range - you'd MAYBE sell me - as long as those numbers were documented, and ALL players had to be within those specs.

(I Run both Boosted classes and Non-Boosted classes - and love them both - WHY? Because I'm racin my TOY CARS and Havin FUN!!)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

17.5 blinky seems to be most popular.

My vote would be mod.

13.5 boosted can be a LOT of fun if you have good drivers.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
well since this on topic...this year for the US VTA Southern Nationals in Music City, USA...Sept 21-23rd.....Me and Dirla is offering 12th scale...but which version?

17.5 blinky
17.5 boosted
13.5 blinky
13.5 boosted

we have new carpet and sub-floor thats very smooth...any idea...oh track is 90+ by 45+

My vote would be 10.5 blinky. Pulfer, CD Wells and I run 10.5 blinky at my track and it's only 63'x33'. 10.5 blinky in a 1s car is fast enough to be interesting, but slow enough to be controllable.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Mmm we run blinky 17.5 and blinky 10.5 in the uk. nobody says 10.5 is slow. also mod
Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
Mmm we run blinky 17.5 and blinky 10.5 in the uk. nobody says 10.5 is slow. also mod
I don't see anyone running 10.5 blinky or Modified in the UK.

BRCA nationals dropped modified for this year, reason being that the people at the AGM wanted everyone to run the same motor, and because the majority of AGM attendees were from the boosted 10.5 class, that was the decision...

...and guess what, the Modified champion won the first round of the 2012 nationals (Andy Moore). Talent wins races, regardless of motor rules.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Not really an answer, but...

This is why I enjoy racing on a smaller track.

Boosted/blinky becomes less of an advantage....

The smoothness of blinky or the punch of boosted - different people prefer different styles of throttle management I guess.

Imo, I prefer boosted. Since brushless speed controls came out, they had timing control.

Yes, the ability to use timing should I want to use it. I have power, I want to use it (and if I crash because of it, thats my fault due to lack of skill... why choose that option for me?)

Blinky isn't a leveller, the same people still win because they have the knowledge and skill to stay at the top of their game. (sorry if its been said already).

They won when they had timing advance, they also win without.... meh.

Retarded timing for retarded rules....

Rant over, happy hat on
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sosidge
I don't see anyone running 10.5 blinky or Modified in the UK.

BRCA nationals dropped modified for this year, reason being that the people at the AGM wanted everyone to run the same motor, and because the majority of AGM attendees were from the boosted 10.5 class, that was the decision...

...and guess what, the Modified champion won the first round of the 2012 nationals (Andy Moore). Talent wins races, regardless of motor rules.

Should of stated i was talking 12th not TC! you're correct about tc though..
Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys, this ship has not only sailed but was burned and sunk right outside the harbor to prevent any others from coming into port. The bottom line was certain big RC companies were getting blown out of the water and needed a repreive, and spec motor racing was getting so fast it wasn't even funny, so boost is dead in spec motor racing.

If you want to run boost, run modified. The best part about mod is nobody accuses anybody of cheating.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Since I only have a zero-timing ESC I prefer Non-boosted. I think the idea behind it is quite good and there are clubs who just allow 1 of a few reasonably priced ESC's and motors. That way the difference in hardware is a lot less, if not gone.

However, when I wil have a timing-capable ESC, which my next will be, and I fully understand what I'm doing I might prefer boosted. It is kinda cool you know

But maybe it is better to get the Boosted guys to run in mod, and keep 3 or something classes alive.

More racers is more fun right, or what are you doing this for? Try to remember that next time at the track...

Robert
Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The quest for performance: No one else seems to have come out and said it, but that's what this is about. Blinky or boosted, doesn't matter. The average racer with average or above well cared for gear will eventually hit their talent or hobby practice time cap. We, including me, rely on tips of other racers in our classes and reciprocate that knowledge if we stumble on something to go faster. Now some of us have it in our head that a certain style of body with a certain motor limit embodies a class spirit, so we set the specifications and race. This does promote close racing. Still the best talent wins the majority of the time. Some of us also have the theory that faster is better. I remember 3 years ago the first time my then new Tekin RS, properly tuned and timed and nailed the chassis setup, with a 17.5 boosted was faster than the 13.5 guys who had not switched to a timeable ESC. 3 months later I was back to being mid pack. The learning curve was completed. I've run both, I'll run either. It's not rocket science. On the letting the smoke out front, only they guys pushing the limits of their gearing or missing the gearing for the track did that. It was not the fault of the equipment, but user error.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.