Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In a little over 2 years of racing boosted classes I can honestly say I never heard anyone complain of cheating, but last summer I raced a blinky class at a couple of tracks and accusations of cheating were flying everywhere. It was ridiculous.

So far boost isn't dead yet here. At the Canadian Nationals in March, boosted 17.5 TC was the largest class(there was an F main)

I really hope we don't follow the herd on this one. Blinky sucks.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

All I know is that I keep hitting the boards regardless of blinky or boosted.

Myth: Blinky is closer racing. Well so is boosted if all the powertrains are the same.

Myth: Blinky saves money, not if you keep burning out motors with roll-outs in the sky, buy the newest batteries and so forth. Looks like it's back to the battery/motor wars. Is this a manufacturer's conspiracy to get us to spend more money for their products.

As far as close racing, we run only boosted and the racing has never been closer, except for the newbies in over their heads.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Boosted or Blinky will never replace talent and practice....

The fast guys will always be fast.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

I really really fail to see the problem with boosted tc, as alluded to by others on this thread;

-it's easy on motors and batteries
-you don't need the latest motor to be competitive
-once you have you head around the settings they don't need much fiddling

I think roar have made a serious mistake just outlawing it, very short sighted in my opinion and I hope the brca and uk clubs don't make the same mistake in completely outlawing it

What cannot be ignored however are the many people who also like blinky so surely a simple solution is for the mfgs and national bodies to all agree on three worldwide classes which in my opinion should be;

13.5/17.5 blinky
13.5/17.5 boosted
Mod

Note the blinky and boosted classes should use the same wind motor so people can easily step up/down with the same equipment

It is then up to the individual organizers to pick which classes they run at that event, but events like the snowbirds iic etc should probably offer all three

The many different motor speedo classes available are what is killing tc/onroad
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ok if you want boosted just run mod!

Stock is stock, keep everyone on the same level.

I just kicked the dead horse again
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I agree that with so many classes in onroad it's making onroad fade. Even with new classes like, VTA, WGT, F1, Legends, and then you have 13.5 and 17.5 nothin blinky or boosted, then mod. If there wasn't so many options I think onroad would have more entries. Maybe that's what ROAR was trying to achieve, cutting down on some, and boosted just happen to be on the wrong side of the coin. Not everyone is gonna agree on which class gets cut from racing events, but I do believe making "A"cut is for the best for the future of onroad. And like Randy said, it don't matter what classes are offered, the fast drivers are still gonna win.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

On-road is doing better now than it has been in the past handful of years... regardless of what people's personal opinions are, the big carpet/asphalt races are seeing great attendance. Whatever was done/is being done is working.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I personally was not attempting to allude to the concept that boosted was bad, was just surprised that anybody would think that blinky needs to go away. I am pretty new to this (~ 1 year) and I'm just now starting to get comfortable with my 17.5 blinky TC. I think the speed is a reasonable jump up from VTA, difficult at first but manageable. In this area, 17.5 blinky seems to be the solid class in TC. This is just one of those things that is naturally going to vary by location. I'm sure boosted has it's place. Some say it should be mod only but that I'm not really sure of. I havn't been in this long enough to have a firm opinion.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Whats the difference between boosted and mod?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
From a sanctioning and race organizing perspective, yes. Look at the ESC/software controversies there have been recently. You can easily check if someone's ESC is blinking. It's not so easy to tell if they have a legal version of firmware installed.

It introduces more tuning variables for the racer (good or bad, depending on preference), but it also has an equalizing effect because you don't need the latest, greatest motor and batteries to be competitive.
So running two cars everything equal but one car is running bad batteries and motor and the other car isn't they will both be more or less competitive? Really, I don't care whether we settle on boosted or non-boosted but to suggest that ESC timing alone will compensate for crap gear could be the funniest thing I've ever seen posted. This is completely ignoring the fact that the racers running good gear and with a good program will have maximized every part of their program, motor timing, esc timing, car setup, batteries. But boost is the great equalizer. Sure thing. This is better than amateur hour at the Improv. Keep it up. I enjoy the laughs.

Last edited by Kraig; 05-24-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: watch the language
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Really, I don't care whether we settle on boosted or non-boosted but to suggest that ESC timing alone will compensate for crap gear could be the funniest thing I've ever seen posted.
Good thing I didn't say anything about crap gear then

The point which you *almost* seem to have grasped is that with boost tuning matters more than spending money on hot batteries and cooking a motor every week. I don't think many people will disagree that if you put in the time and attention to maximize your setup, you've earned your advantage.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where Chaz and I race, nobody runs boosted. We run 17.5 blinky and NEVER hear anybody whining about people cheating or spending loads of money on batteries and burning motors. The only guys burning motors are the newbies that havn't got the gearing/motor timing figured out yet. Even when our club hosts large events I hear no complaining and I don't think there was a class of TC outside of mod and 17.5 blinky at the last larger event.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm glad I'm in Chicago, which must be the only place in the USA where car counts went UP when we got rid of boosted and all the crap that goes with it. There is also a magical force field here that makes everything reverse, where motors burnt up when you screwed up the boost settings, but motors don't blow up when you run blinky.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Perhaps rc should take a look at real world racing since many series try to keep speeds close even if engines aren't. Want to run boosted on your 17.5? Sure go ahead. You can do it in the open class. You won't be in the stock class. That's fair enough. If boost is the "great equalizer" then let it be run against something that is near "equal" in speed rather than motor turn and not against the same thing with no boost. That's how it should be done.

Stock class was always 27 turn 24 degree fixed timing brushed motors with 6 cell batteries. True some people were faster because they had matched batteries but it mostly came down to car setup and driver. Modified was anything other than this which meant you could run a 19 turn or a 10 turn or any other turn with a 7 cell battery. It didn't matter.

With current technology things should really remain in the same spirit of the original rules. Stock class should be 17.5T, super stock should be 13.5T, and these classes should stay blinky. Period. Modified class should be open to whatever turn or boost you want. Have a 17.5T and want to run in stock class? Run it in blinky mode. Want to race with more speed using boost? Run it in modified. Don't like the fact that you can't keep up with other cars in modified? Buy a modified motor like everyone else! Yes there is justification to have each class so don't be closed minded and think that your preferred choice is the only valid one.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Steve S
Good thing I didn't say anything about crap gear then

The point which you *almost* seem to have grasped is that with boost tuning matters more than spending money on hot batteries and cooking a motor every week. I don't think many people will disagree that if you put in the time and attention to maximize your setup, you've earned your advantage.
Cute, you want to play the semantics game. I'm in.

The racers who have a good program will have the "latest, greatest motor and batteries". That, combined with the right esc profile will be night and day better than the same set up using non "latest and greatest motor and batteries".

Maybe you will eventually almost "seem" to grasp that tuning doesn't happen in a vacuum. What mongoloid is cooking a motor every week? Is the idea of tuning burn a motor, then back timing off until you stop burning them up? If someone is that much an idiot no amount of arguing about boost or no boost will save them money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.