Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Doing Away With Boosted.... >

Doing Away With Boosted....

Doing Away With Boosted....

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
While I agree in theory, blinking lights do not prevent this from happening. The only true way to tell is to spotcheck the software.
That is true, but boosted throws the doors wide open to unobtainium software. At least in theory new software doesnt make you faster in blinky, it can only change throttle feel. If cheating software was that rampant in blinky, youd hear about it more, but im only aware of that happening once
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

zZZzzz, dead horse is dead.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Blinky sucks, the more rules you have the more people try and get around them. Bring back boost I say.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I prefer blinky to boost! just because it's closer racing. i'd rather buy a 65.00 motor once a year than a new 200.00 esc.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

Blinky sucks. Period.

I've run a Tekin RS/Novak combo in a 13.5 TC for the past 3(ish) years. I've not had to buy a new speedo or motor to keep up with the LRPs, Black Diamonds, GMs or Hobbywings that came onto the market over that time.

I did one season in boosted 1/12th 1S 10.5 - no problems, just as quick as everyone else. Next year, it switched to blinky. Well it just so happens that Tekin's blinky mode sucks and the Novak ain't great either. So I had to buy a Hobbywing 1S speedo, an LRP X12 and new cells before I was back on the pace.

Blinky is going to be a money pit and I want no part of it.

Most of the folk screaming for blinky simply wanted to slow things down because they couldn't handle the increased speeds with boosted. They should have just motored down instead - much simpler and without the need for pinions as big as spurs, new motors, the latest rotors, the highest C batteries and the constant suspicion that the guy next to me is faster in a straight line because he's cheating or spent megabucks. Don't give me all that bull about blinky having a better "feel", when you're going so slow, the trigger becomes an on/off switch anyhow. Besides, a properly set up boosted speedo which brings in the timing in a linear fashion has plenty of feel.

End rant, happy hat back on
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Whats boost? Still running Silvercan 540s,LOL brushed for life
Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THancock
Blinky sucks. Period.

I've run a Tekin RS/Novak combo in a 13.5 TC for the past 3(ish) years. I've not had to buy a new speedo or motor to keep up with the LRPs, Black Diamonds, GMs or Hobbywings that came onto the market over that time.

I did one season in boosted 1/12th 1S 10.5 - no problems, just as quick as everyone else. Next year, it switched to blinky. Well it just so happens that Tekin's blinky mode sucks and the Novak ain't great either. So I had to buy a Hobbywing 1S speedo, an LRP X12 and new cells before I was back on the pace.

Blinky is going to be a money pit and I want no part of it.

Most of the folk screaming for blinky simply wanted to slow things down because they couldn't handle the increased speeds with boosted. They should have just motored down instead - much simpler and without the need for pinions as big as spurs, new motors, the latest rotors, the highest C batteries and the constant suspicion that the guy next to me is faster in a straight line because he's cheating or spent megabucks. Don't give me all that bull about blinky having a better "feel", when you're going so slow, the trigger becomes an on/off switch anyhow. Besides, a properly set up boosted speedo which brings in the timing in a linear fashion has plenty of feel.

End rant, happy hat back on
I agree absolutely 100% with everything in this statement

To add, I use a Black Diamond/Novak combo which I got used, cheap, its apparently outdated but seems to be still competitive if set up well. The software argument is nonsense, its reached a plateau in boosted. If anything I'm hearing more complaints from blinky drivers about the inequality in software.

We just got over these problems in boosted, now everyone wants to go back to this all over again
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I understand how strongly on-road racers feel about slowing things down and using blinky mode. I, however race off-road, and feel that off-road benefits from the use of boosted. There is a hugh weight differents between the two styles of racing. What works for one style may not work for the other style of race. Sence ROAR like to make blanket statements, If on-road goes blinky, off-road will have to do the same. There are a few off-road race tracks that have gone blinky and the cars look slower then when I ran brushed motors with a li-po. Seems like a step in the wrong direction. I also have learned enough about the brushless ESC's and the whole blinky thing that I can make and l.e.d. blink and still have tons of timing on my motor. Most of the time, When a fast driver is made to drive a slower car, the gap between you and him only gets bigger.
Just my $0.02 worth of nothing.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Custom wound stator's are a way to get around a zero boost/timing rule
Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Custom wound stator's are a way to get around a zero boost/timing rule
They are a great way to get around a boosted rule as well.

I don't see what cheating has to do with the argument against blinky. You can cheat in any class if you want to.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Boosted makes slower guys feel better because they can max out everything and look super fast on the straight. Who cares if they blow every apex through the infield, we all know that's not where races are won.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

There is always going to be some controversy over software in both blinky and boosted. It doesn't matter what the class, if there are different brands of motor, esc and battery allowed people are always going to be chasing the hot setup. Period.

This is racing, everyone is always looking for an edge over the next guy. Its the nature of the beast and part of what makes it great. Blinky, boosted, who cares. In the end its all the same IMO. Just stay within the rules and your budget and do the best you can. There is always going to be something new around the corner that you "need" to be fast.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

I am still racing at one of the old school clubs in the UK.

13.5 boosted... on foam

But yes, the bigger events are going to blinky now.

Even our smaller club is contemplating it for the next club series after summer.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

This is retarded.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

There's really no rocket science in learning how to tune your speedo using boost software. I'd say bring back boost.My motors last way longer with boosted than blinky. In just two weeks running blinky touring. I cheeched and chonged up in smoke two motors Lol....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.