R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #526
Tech Apprentice
 
MaxThrottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Hey Marv,

I found the problem with my sprint flux, sadly it was after i bought a new motor, ESC and reciever box and none of us could believe it happened.

I did have a bad ESC, I programmed the new one and all went fine, Then after installing all new stuff i wondered and pondered why when i pulled the throttle it only spun for a second and i would get the yellow and red flashing LED's on the ESC and it would not do any thing else and the LED's flashing stayed that way until i unhooked the battery, so i unhooked the car battery and hooked up another, same thing, so i hooked up another, same thing so i tried my last battery a 6 cell nimh (all mine are nimh but 3 were 7 cell 1 was 6) and it came to life.

I have no idea how i managed to have 3 batteries go bad all at the same time but i did.

as a test i hooked up a lipo to it and it came to life also, So if anyone is reading this that their car is doing what i described above try a NEW battery, That may be all that is wrong with the car.

I did hook up the old ESC again but it is truly bad and maybe one of my bad batteries took out the ESC.

Back in the game.
MT
__________________
Sprint 2 Flux w/ 2010 camaro body
41 willys Parma body, 68 primer gray Camaro beater body
65 Mustang coupe body, GT40 body
67 Vette kyosho body
MaxThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #527
Tech Rookie
 
Slyskiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 18
Default

How do you guys cool your motors? Do you need a lipo battery if you hook up a fan? Where could I put a fan?
Slyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #528
Tech Rookie
 
Slyskiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 18
Default

I also get a weird ticking when I put my motor back on. It's the stock 15t 540 brushed motor. When it's off and I run the motor it runs perfectly fine.
Slyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #529
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyskiller View Post
I also get a weird ticking when I put my motor back on. It's the stock 15t 540 brushed motor. When it's off and I run the motor it runs perfectly fine.
TRY:

Add a flat washer behind each of the two motor screws =
Might be a tad too long and when you tighten them they hit the gizmo going around in the can...

Or you pinion isn't meshing correctly --- lost tooth on spur?
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #530
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyskiller View Post
How do you guys cool your motors? Do you need a lipo battery if you hook up a fan? Where could I put a fan?
Unless you are pushing the timing to max and gearing it excessively - you shouldn't (operative word = SHOULDN'T) be a need far a fan...

Hit the motor with a temp gauge after a run - if your under 150-160-ish Fahrenheit you should be ok - - -
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #531
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MOTOR FAN - ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyskiller View Post
How do you guys cool your motors? Do you need a lipo battery if you hook up a fan? Where could I put a fan?

There is only ONE fan/heat sink combo that I know for sure would fit made by INTEGY & sold on eBay - - -
(STUFFED is more like it)

I've done it - It's a PITA installing and servicing =
You have to take the motor mount plate and stress bar OFF to get the whole motor/heat sink w/fan assembly in & out as one unit... in and out

HPI Sprint 2 Mods - Making a silk purse from a sow's ear.-dscn4381.jpg
HPI Sprint 2 Mods - Making a silk purse from a sow's ear.-dscn4392.jpg
HPI Sprint 2 Mods - Making a silk purse from a sow's ear.-dscn4399.jpg
HPI Sprint 2 Mods - Making a silk purse from a sow's ear.-dscn4402.jpg
HPI Sprint 2 Mods - Making a silk purse from a sow's ear.-dscn4404.jpg

The heat sink has to be modded (FINS some removed, some FILED & HAND FITTED)

A stand alone fan could be double sided servo taped to the chassis behind the motor = faster & easier
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #532
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

CRAP! Three baddies in a row? What are the chances!!!

Well, at least you solved the mystery and helped untold others by posting it here. Thanks Max!

Glad you got it worked out and thanks for keeping us updated!




Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThrottle View Post
Hey Marv,

I found the problem with my sprint flux, sadly it was after i bought a new motor, ESC and reciever box and none of us could believe it happened.

I did have a bad ESC, I programmed the new one and all went fine, Then after installing all new stuff i wondered and pondered why when i pulled the throttle it only spun for a second and i would get the yellow and red flashing LED's on the ESC and it would not do any thing else and the LED's flashing stayed that way until i unhooked the battery, so i unhooked the car battery and hooked up another, same thing, so i hooked up another, same thing so i tried my last battery a 6 cell nimh (all mine are nimh but 3 were 7 cell 1 was 6) and it came to life.

I have no idea how i managed to have 3 batteries go bad all at the same time but i did.

as a test i hooked up a lipo to it and it came to life also, So if anyone is reading this that their car is doing what i described above try a NEW battery, That may be all that is wrong with the car.

I did hook up the old ESC again but it is truly bad and maybe one of my bad batteries took out the ESC.

Back in the game.
MT
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #533
Tech Rookie
 
Slyskiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Unless you are pushing the timing to max and gearing it excessively - you shouldn't (operative word = SHOULDN'T) be a need far a fan...

Hit the motor with a temp gauge after a run - if your under 150-160-ish Fahrenheit you should be ok - - -
Okay thanks! I'll try to fix the motor problem too.
Slyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #534
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyskiller View Post
Okay thanks! I'll try to fix the motor problem too.
I had the ticking sound after I R&R'd the motor =

I'm guessing I over tightened the mounting screws -

I added washers and the ticking stopped -
The washers did the trick -

Later on I upgraded to Allen head screws (hand fitted) & still used washers

Post what you find - Cause sometimes it's not the obvious suspect(s) -
Thanks!
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #535
Tech Rookie
 
Slyskiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I had the ticking sound after I R&R'd the motor =

I'm guessing I over tightened the mounting screws -

I added washers and the ticking stopped -
The washers did the trick -

Later on I upgraded to Allen head screws (hand fitted) & still used washers

Post what you find - Cause sometimes it's not the obvious suspect(s) -
Thanks!
I took a closer look at the motor and one of the fins in the motor broke. It might be causing the problem. A rock got in there and damaged everything I guess. Do they sell sealed motors? I'm thinking about off roading my Sprint 2 Sport.
Slyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #536
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up WOT

The Firebolts have an internal fan = Yes, that cold be your clicking...
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #537
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default


Last edited by Marv; 06-03-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: "Because I can." - Jack Palance
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #538
Tech Rookie
 
Slyskiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
The Firebolts have an internal fan = Yes, that cold be your clicking...
Welp. Time to order a new motor. Thanks for your help. Any recommendations?
Slyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #539
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyskiller View Post
Welp. Time to order a new motor. Thanks for your help. Any recommendations?

How deep are your pockets...?

If want to stay BRUSHED, you might consider looking into the HOLMES line of rebuildable 540s =

http://holmeshobbies.com/


If you decide to upgrade to brushless =

Depends on what your driving preferences are: DRIFT, GRIP, BASH / STREET or CLUB (local track) =

You'll need to upgrade your ESC to BRUSHLESS as well if you go brushless = Cheaper in the long run + less maintenance...

Several makers & sellers may have some combo specials...
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #540
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Marv you sir are the MAN. Just wanted to let you know hahhaa

Also here is a picture of my S2D, it has the flux motor and ESC in it.

Having a problem with steering angle, one side has much more angle then the other??

Vroomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
hpi, sprint 2


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:16 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net