HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up Just Because I can

Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lol. I just thought of it as a suggestion, but you may want to link all the posts(how to's and general great info) in the first post of the thread. My be quite benificial considering how long this thread has gotten.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Default HOW DIFFERENTIAL GEARS WORK

I found this =

Originally Posted by Pygmy
FYI, This must be the most simple and easy-to-follow explanation of how differentials work I've ever seen.
And after watching the short version Pygmy linked to, I found the core video =

Uploaded on Feb 9, 2009 / ConceptVBS
An excellent tutorial from the 1930's on the principles and development of the Differential Gear.
Fast Forward to 1:50 if you want to skip the intro.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

AND This one =

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Marv; 01-10-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sharkey_t
i took a little different route on the bellcranks. i built my own bellcrank post on the left side, it now extends to the top plate, and i built a spacer to more the top bearing up in the bellcrank, this makes it more rigid. i then made another spacer that goes between the top plate and the top bearing and thats what holds it all together. on the other side i got rid of the e-clip on the top and made a spacer to hold the bellcrank down, this tightened it up a little, however the steering posts still moves around a bit. im looking into what it would take to get bearings into the bellcrank on the right side, im considering losing the servo saver and running a kimbrough servo saver mounted on the servo. this will allow me to machine a different tube to put bearings into.

im working on a belt tensioner for the rear belt right now. im running it on the bottom of the belt so it will push the belt up, this will stop it from rubbing on the motor can.

ill try to get some pics of my mods tonight.
All voodoo is welcome here Sharkey.

Post up some pictures with a parts list and a description of what & how you went about things when you can.

If you be a machinist you can probably make a copy of the Sprint 1 steering system (the one that, rumor has it, that actually worked...).

There were two of the left at that UK seller a few posts back.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Sprint 2 steering

What issues are you seeing with the version 2 steering. I haven't seen any or haven't noticed a situation where I needed more steering than I have.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aught-Six
What issues are you seeing with the version 2 steering. I haven't seen any or haven't noticed a situation where I needed more steering than I have.
The S2 I have was looser than rabbit turds through a tin funnel when I first got it =
But mine was an obvious re-box / not BNIB =
The factory seals were cut and re-taped
AND too many things were not to HPI specs

Loose bell crank, servo saver, ball cups, 4-40 ball studs in M3 flange pipes, flange pipes in the C blocks, C blocks in the control arms...
That about covers it...

It's tighter than all get-out now =
aka "extremely responsive"

Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I must of lucked out because adding the spring was all I needed to do.

I'm working on a mod right now to hopefully improve the roll center of the car. I'm changing the geometry of the camber links. I don't race until next Saturday so if I find it helps the car I'll share it here.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well my parts finally came in from asiatees and I have the rear set up but don't have time for the front until Sunday.
Aluminum control arms, hubs, c blocks, steering assembly, and wheels. Wheels also came with premounted drift tires. Awesome.

Rear installed:

New Aluminum rimzez:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aught-Six
I must of lucked out because adding the spring was all I needed to do.

I'm working on a mod right now to hopefully improve the roll center of the car. I'm changing the geometry of the camber links. I don't race until next Saturday so if I find it helps the car I'll share it here.
Are you having issues with the roll center?
Traction rolling?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Slobalt7
Well my parts finally came in from asiatees and I have the rear set up but don't have time for the front until Sunday.
Aluminum control arms, hubs, c blocks, steering assembly, and wheels. Wheels also came with premounted drift tires. Awesome.

Rear installed:

New Aluminum rimzez:

LOOKIN' GOOD!

You might want a nice chassis vinyl carbon fiber pattern cover/protector for that drifter of yours =

I just got some custom made ones from a maker on R/C Tech here, but I haven't had a chance to write anything up yet.

SEEK PEEK =
HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4562.jpg
HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4565.jpg
HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4566.jpg
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Marv
All voodoo is welcome here Sharkey.

Post up some pictures with a parts list and a description of what & how you went about things when you can.

If you be a machinist you can probably make a copy of the Sprint 1 steering system (the one that, rumor has it, that actually worked...).

There were two of the left at that UK seller a few posts back.

Thanks!
ill get some info up as soon as i get some pics. i have to pull it all back apart to measure it all up, i already have requests for a kit from some locals. i got to try the car out again tonight, the steering works amazingly well. its actually goes where i point it, im able to get much tighter drifts, and best of all, the left wheel doesnt start vibrating when i take it off full lock.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Are you having issues with the roll center?
Traction rolling?
I don't have a problem with traction roll, I'm trying to get more speed through the corners. On our track our top drivers can do our straight and our sweeper without lifting, I have to lift just briefly at the end of the straight. I'm trying to get my sow's ear to carry speed through that corner. Right now If I go full speed through the corner the front pushes and I drift out off line. If I make adjustments for the push, it will traction roll at full speed. Trying to find a sweet spot.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

LOOKIN' GOOD!

You might want a nice chassis vinyl carbon fiber pattern cover/protector for that drifter of yours =

I just got some custom made ones from a maker on R/C Tech here, but I haven't had a chance to write anything up yet.

SEEK PEEK =
Attachment 1016117
Attachment 1016118
Attachment 1016120
Thank you, I had never thought about anything like that, does it generally act as a skid plate or what? As we were talking about in PM's I am really thinking of making a custom chassis from 1/8th steel and with one of these as a drift car you don't have to worry about weight as much as you do about finding a smooth surface.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

ive got some pics of my steering linkage setup now

so basicly what i did was start by making a new post. the post now locates into the top plate to give it some proper support. the spacer in the middle of the second pic goes under the top bearing in the steering arm, by spacing the bearing up it makes the arm more rigid. the top tube then goes on top, this holds the steering arm in place instead of using an e-clip.

im going to make a new post for the right side that locates into the top plate. i was initially wanting to put bearings into the right side bellcrank, however after the mods ive done so far i dont think its needed.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

^^^ Pure badassness right there. So all of my GPM parts are installed except the rh bell crank. Unfortunately I had to re-tap almost all the holes in the spindles and control arms... Definitely in there secure though, so secure I broke the 5.5MM socket I was using to thread the balls on with. I can't account for droop unfortunately because my stock hex driven thingies don't thread and I already f*cked one of my t handle hexes on this car...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.