R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Racing outdoors on concrete, what tires and such?

Ok guys need some help. I am getting some racing going at the local park. Its smooth concrete that we will be racing on. I need advice as to what tires (widths as well) that people are going to need to run. It's been 10 years since I did any kind of on-road racing. I just want to be able to help people out who ask as I am working hard at bringing new people into the hobby with this. I have attached a picture of the racing surface. It will of course be blown off before we race on it.
Hope to race touring, VTA, and any other classes that get at least 4 to run. On-road isn't all that popular here in Michigan anymore, but I hope to make it work as I know lots of people are really starting to miss it. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

Rubber compound I would use 32 to 36, depending on track surface temperature. I've had the best success and longevity with Team Sorex, but there are many other fantastic tire brands available.
Jason Burks
Murfdogg Products~Psycho Cells Racing~Hal's Hobby Warehouse~Avid RC~Kal-Gard~VP Powermaster
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My club ran on concrete for a couple of years. For VTA the legal tires always did surprisingly well. We ran GT (RCGT,USGT) using the HPI X-Pattern tires. The D compound and the Pro compound were best. The Radial Pro just didn't work at all.
For Touring slicks the CS27's always worked well. We did not treat the surface and we didn't allow tire compounds. We tried sugar water and various soda's but the concrete seemed to soak it up so we just used the blower and had fun.
Good Luck ! Looks like a nice place.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips guys.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote