Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction paint--- is there such a thing? >

Traction paint--- is there such a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traction paint--- is there such a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default Traction paint--- is there such a thing?

Hi Guys, we have an old track asphalt track, we would like to paint the whole surface and we are wondering what other clubs/people have used to gain traction using paint.
There are a few clubs around the area that have used different kind of paint, but we would like some more ideas from other clubs.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I painted mine with plain jane black exterior latex. The rubber in the paint helps with traction, but it looks thin after a season of racing. Its only a year old and needs to be redone.

www.battlefieldraceway.com
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Locate a quality asphalt company to seal coat the surface. They can also add in a fine sand aggregate to the seal coat to aid traction. If done right, you really would not need much for surface prep.

Snowy.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Regional Moderator

Most sealcoat products include sand as a main ingredient. They're about $25 for a 4.5 gallon bucket that covers around 300 sq. ft.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Our racing surface is asphalt with a covering call " Playtime" it is a rubberized surface that is painted on. We then have used normal exterior latex to cover over spots... It works great, but you cannot use sugar based track prep, you need to use VHT kind of sprays. At least that is our finding. If the temps change a great deal the sugar water peels up on the tires. The petroleum based spays are best. Ask anyone that has raced at our track.. it has the most bite, and lowest wear of any track they have raced at.
Attached Thumbnails Traction paint--- is there such a thing?-track.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AERCCC
Hi Guys, we have an old track asphalt track, we would like to paint the whole surface and we are wondering what other clubs/people have used to gain traction using paint.
There are a few clubs around the area that have used different kind of paint, but we would like some more ideas from other clubs.

Thanks
(1) Pressure clean the surface to remove dirt.
(2) Use an acrylic sealer to seal and waterproof racing surface.
(3) Use 100% Exterior Acrylic Paint (any color) + bag of Play sand- mixed well

(4) Roll on. Done.

Race day just blow off track and race.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced at an indoor track in Kalamazoo, MI that they painted the concrete floor in the warehouse with black paint and sand mix don't remember what the mix was but it was rough on the foam for oval but it did have some traction.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This may be of interest:
http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-.../skid-not.html
Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Our racing surface is asphalt with a covering call " Playtime" it is a rubberized surface that is painted on. We then have used normal exterior latex to cover over spots... It works great, but you cannot use sugar based track prep, you need to use VHT kind of sprays. At least that is our finding. If the temps change a great deal the sugar water peels up on the tires. The petroleum based spays are best. Ask anyone that has raced at our track.. it has the most bite, and lowest wear of any track they have raced at.
Tim, what is the name / location of this track? Thanks.

To the OP, you might look up the thread for the Coliseum, in the racing section. They have a sealed indoor asphalt course (maryland), someone might be able to give you more specifics.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Village Raceway in Royal Palm Beach Fl.

We were lucky enough to get an old Roller Hocky rink.

http://www.facebook.com/villageraceway

I would be hesitant to put sand in the mix, but I am sure if done right, it can be great. One of our tracks here in Fl did that... all I can say is 12th scale had no tire life.. and for the first couple of months... bearings were trashed .....

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Tim, what is the name / location of this track? Thanks.

To the OP, you might look up the thread for the Coliseum, in the racing section. They have a sealed indoor asphalt course (maryland), someone might be able to give you more specifics.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Village Raceway in Royal Palm Beach Fl.

We were lucky enough to get an old Roller Hocky rink.

http://www.facebook.com/villageraceway

I would be hesitant to put sand in the mix, but I am sure if done right, it can be great. One of our tracks here in Fl did that... all I can say is 12th scale had no tire life.. and for the first couple of months... bearings were trashed .....
So you spray VHT on this track? I remember TQ/FastTrack in Longwood used that on there outdoor course, really good grip most of the time.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can look at what they cover outdoor basketball and tennis courts.

http://www.sportmaster.net/basketball.shtml

http://www.insl-x.com/viewProd.asp?prodID=277

I drive on a basketball court at a local park and the traction is good. Once the surface cleans off and with traction compound the cars actually handle very well.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Does VHT break the paint down at all, most paints seem to have sand in them and by the end of the day is the track slippery due to sand on the surface.

Rhys
Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

we have used a product from a company called Nu Tech here in Tasmania (AUS). It is the same coating they now use on Tennis Courts and is extremely grippy. We have used it now for about 5 mths on areas that we had to paint over when we changed our layout and it works very well. Just dont skimp on the amount you put down by rolling too thin