New Charger

Old 02-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default New Charger

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new charger to replace my Integy 16x7 which I love. The Integy comes with a four wire hook-up to eliminate voltage losses during charge/discharge.

I am looking at the Duratrax Ice and the APS Dyno which both do not have the four wire setup. I know the GFX has four wire but has anyone noticed any performance degradation without using a four wire setup?

The four wire setup may have more to do with a high amp discharge and the voltage losses associated with the wire length morso than a 5A charge which should not interfere with a proper delta V measurement.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would go with the Reedy Quasar Pro Charger.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Orion Advantage Charger

you should consider the NEW charger Orion has - Advantage

has a nice list of features - run lathe, motor break-in, linear and step charge function, discharge function (10amp) and more
Old 02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

At this poit it might be worthwhile waiting to see what the new Integy chargers look like, the 16x8 and the G40...the feature list is pretty impressive
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

the compition 2 pulsar charger is a good charger 2
Old 02-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I love my APS Dyno-Charge. Works as good, if not better than my pulsar did. Plus it has the motor checker feature which si nice to have. Temp probe is included as well.

-Korey
Old 02-10-2005, 07:36 PM

reading the instuctions that came with my GFX the only reason for the four wires is to get a acturate reading for the graphs and stuff, not to enhance charging or discharging
Old 02-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The small wires on chargers are used for more accurate voltage sensing. Allows voltage on singal cells to be measured in 4 digits like 1.176.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Have you seen our new TwoLane ProCharger ? 12Amp AC/DC can charge two batteries at 1-6amps. Integrated BATTERY cooling fan and temp sensors.

We are considering removing the Trickle charge ability, and add configuration profiles to select a set of configuration parameters. Does anyone USE trickle charge anymore??
Old 02-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First this guy asked about the ICE and the APS Dyno-Charge not everything else.
So here is where I chime in.
I have been using the APS Cyno-Charge for about two weeks and love it. The motor checker is great and the temp probe is invaluable since I tray my batteries over night I would normaly get false peaks but with the probe the charger will keep charging till it gets to the temp you preset. GREATEST FEATURE...
I only had one problem with the APS and that is..If you tray your batteries you most wait one minute to let the pack rebound a little before charging as the APS sences it isn't connected to a pack when the votage reading is 1.69V for the whole pack.
Now for the ICE I think it has just about everything in it also just a preference. I like that the APS is only 5"x5"x2.5" small footprint for those really cramped pit areas.
Just my two pennies.
Oh and Nimble great Idea but charging two packs at once isn't really a great feature for guys who only run one pack at a time...At least for me I wouldn't ever us it to charge two packs at once, great idea for guys who run Emaxx's or twin titan's just not for me racing TC. Before you say oh you can use one side for discharging. I would only use a individual cell discharger like my Integy Zero Thirty and my Integy Zero6S trays for over night discharging.
Hey first let me agian say great Idea just not really for Touring Car racers who normaly only charge one pack at a time. I have three other chargers that only get used for cycling information when doing battery mantaince.

Oh and this forum is not another way for you to try and sell your goods. The forum is for guys or gals to share what works for them and what doesn't work for them. Not for you to go into every CHARGER post and try to sell your goods...It is just plain rude.

These opinions are mine and not up for debate. Just giving another side to everything.
Hope this all makes since.
Take Care All
Stephen <><
Old 02-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

well said steven....well said...(this used to be rc buddah!but i changed my name because theres another guy with the name rcbuddah..so yeh!) lol steven whats wrong with having 1 pack already charged and ready to go after the other one has been ran.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Guru
well said steven....well said...(this used to be rc buddah!but i changed my name because theres another guy with the name rcbuddah..so yeh!) lol steven whats wrong with having 1 pack already charged and ready to go after the other one has been ran.
Well it is better to charge your packs right before you use them, not to let one sit charged and repeak later. Here is what ProMatch recommends

"For maximum voltage: Store the packs until the day before you are going to use them again. Place them into an discharge/equalization tray and leave them in the tray overnight and then right before you charge them up remove them from the tray and start charging.
To maintain more run time: The day of your race, place the packs into a discharge/equalization tray and leave them in the tray just until the lights go out. Then remove them from the tray and start charging."

I race so I only use my race packs like this now for practice packs I uselly charge them the night before but like I said it is for practice. I don't really run for fun unless some guys want to get together and run some laps for fun. I don;t want to damage my car just messing around, that is why I have an offroad vehicle for jsut running for fun since there is an endless supply of desert right around the corner. I do have fun racing I just think of my investment (matched packs) and try and make them last as they are expencive.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 02-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

About the original question, I think it's interesting, why you'll switch the 16x7 to another? Because the new charger shold be better...

This thread is going to be interesting to me, since I'm considering selling my Eagle CDC 6.0B and get the Ice

The major thing I dont like about my CDC, is that the cells tends to be too warm after a charge. Secondary, I find the fans and beep-tonns are way too loud.

Other than that I really like it, and on the Ice, I'll definately mis the 20 amp discharge rate, the built in step up (so I can charge to a higher voltage, than the power supply deliver) and the back lit display Crazy, that such a small thing mean that much. But then again, the ease of use and the ability to get a quick overview, makes daily use a lot easier.

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
....and the temp probe is invaluable since I tray my batteries over night I would normaly get false peaks but with the probe the charger will keep charging till it gets to the temp you preset. GREATEST FEATURE...

....Oh and Nimble great Idea but charging two packs at once isn't really a great feature for guys who only run one pack at a time...
TC versus double charger; Personally, I find it's a great advantage to be able to charge two packs at the time. Since it takes approx. 45 minutes to fully charge a pack, and you can run them 5-10 minutes... So starte one pack, 20 minutes later you start the next pack charging, cutting down the waiting tim A LOT. And since my track time is my biggest limitation, the ability to get the most out of my track time, means A LOT.

Now, I dont know the APS, but almost every charger out there with a temp probe, uses voltage peak detection in conjunction with the temp probe. That means, if the voltage peaks OR the temp reach a certain level, the charger will cut off. So if the voltage indictae a voltage peak, the charger will false peak even though it has a temp probe. Using a temp probe alone (no voltage peak cut off) will NOT false peak. But forget that temp probe, and the pack goes BOOM....

About false peaking, the Integy/Eagle CDC6.0B NEVER false peaks, and without a temp probe. I believe that also apply to the 16x7?

I would like to know more about the APS. Do you have a link to their site?

About sensor leads; it's right it's for more precise voltage readings. And also for more accurate IR measuring. So a charger without sensor leads, will also measure the IR in the charger leads. These measure errors, will depend on the charge current. So if you only use the voltage readings and IR ditto for comparision between your own packs, it means nothing.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are three chargers out that i'm aware of that do a couple nice things.

- Multiple Step Charger (as well as traditional methods)
- Completely programable
- Set or has Peak Lock Out

Much More Cell Master

Orion Advantage

Straight Ltd - Record Breaker

review the feature of these you maybe happy you did.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Cole,
Go to www.speedtechrc.com Steve does a good job of telling you everything it does. He also is using one right now and is also happy with its performance. It has all the major things a good charger should plus a fairly good dyno/motor checker. The temp probe is what I use not the peak detect cause every charger including the beloved Eagle 16X5 which is what I also use does false peak. Any how check out the site.
Stephen <><

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.