Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire In My House! From a cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by futureal
Those Radio Shack fans look like DC fans as well, there is most likely an AC->DC transformer (one of those "wall bricks") that does the conversion.
What part of "120VAC" look like DC voltage?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You should let the Poodle plug the 12V fan into the wall!! That is a sure way of killing it or yourself!! Don't mess with that stuff, just buy one from Walmart!!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

dude.... first you plug a 12v dc fan into a 110v ac and wonder wuts wrong, then you think the pos/neg dont matter. god! think you should stick to buying ready-to-use fans? all i did was find a 12v fan and wired that up to a converter. like the little black things that you use to charge a cd player. see if i can post a crude pic of it. you'll know what im talking about when you see it.
Attached Thumbnails Fire In My House! From a cooling fan-eargexdfghxfbx.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

and with sum numberson converter
transforms an input of 120vac 60hz to a 9v. sure the fan wont be blowing at full potential but this fan is big enought to do the job easily. and this fan eats a whopping 4.3watts. and this adapter only takes .25A. since i dont own a power source this is the cheapest most reliable way for me. fan. freebie. adapter. freebie. cutting, stripping and soldering and heatshrinking 2 wires . 10 min.
Attached Thumbnails Fire In My House! From a cooling fan-sa.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

and on fan. this is a bigger fan than the ones most of you guys would use i think
Attached Thumbnails Fire In My House! From a cooling fan-asd.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Exclamation WOW

He is obviously very young or intellectually challenged. If you can not afford a fan, hold off on anymore wiring as you ARE going to kill yourself or burn your house down. And remeber to turn your soldering iron off when you are done............................... You should be supervised when doing anything dangerous. You are one lucky guy..
Old 02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: WOW

Originally posted by Ginsu
He is obviously very young or intellectually challenged. If you can not afford a fan, hold off on anymore wiring as you ARE going to kill yourself or burn your house down. And remeber to turn your soldering iron off when you are done............................... You should be supervised when doing anything dangerous. You are one lucky guy..
too bad he didn't kill himself, his existance is a blemish on the gene pool,

in any case he deserves one of these,

http://www.darwinawards.com/
Old 02-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

lol i know i would much rather buy a fan thats safe than rig up some fan and risk my life while using it
Old 02-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I was at my local electrical supply house and i ask for a fan just like you. and my buddy behind the counter said 12v or 110 ... duhhhhh i was dumb founded for a sec. Then i thought a 110 fan should cool a whole thit load of stuff. So i bought , after all was said and done like fan guards and wire, a fan at walmart would of been cheeper . And to be honest in the summer that fan cools me off rather then and of my motors or r/c car stuff
Old 02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.digikey.com/ or http://www.allelectronics.com

You will find whatever fan you are looking for. AC, DC, ball bearing, axial...

If they don't have it, it probably isn't worth looking for.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

BSchorr - please promise you never pit next to me... I don't want my RC life to go up in a ball of flames!

Seriously, I don't think you should mess with anything electrical. That photo of the fan and the power cord is just scary. You don't have a clue and you're going to kill yourself.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Welcome to Jackass, I'm Johnny Knoxville!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

lol i only did it cause the guy at the track has the exact same fan, and all he did is put an extension cord on it.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BSchorr
lol i only did it cause the guy at the track has the exact same fan, and all he did is put an extension cord on it.
It obviously wasn't the same exact fan... It's kinda like walking into a Porsche dealer and buying a 911 and thinking it's the same as a GT3 for 120k less....

Go buy yourself a small oscilating fan or pay the guy next to you to buy and wire the same fan he has....

Whatever you do... Please don't attempt to wire anything using AC current ever again....
Old 02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LOL - This is kinda humorous.. Funny, but scary. And what does dogs have to do with fans? Stick the poodles tail in the 110VAC outlet and see if air comes out of it to cool down your motors and cells.

Please let me know where you race, so I'm not at the same race as the building might burn down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.