R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Magazine car report -vs-consumer internet car report (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/62590-magazine-car-report-vs-consumer-internet-car-report.html)

dawgmeat 02-07-2005 03:54 PM

Magazine car report -vs-consumer internet car report

Just picked up the lastest copy of RC ar action, they did a report on the new TC4 they gave it a 10 for "parts and Finish" and "accelaration"

I'm bringing this up because of what you have been posting about the TC4 slop in the arm, diff made from plastic and it takes a little bit of work to get the drive to spin freely,now I'm not dissin' the TC4, but when it come to losi and Ass. RC car action Mag seem pretty bias

RCGaryK 02-07-2005 03:56 PM

This exact thing was discussed in the TC4 thread fyi.

Mabuchi540 02-07-2005 03:58 PM

Unless....

the car is made by Rolls Royce there's no such thing as a perfect no slop fit. Rc makers just don't work to the level of tolerences that would result in such things.

dawgmeat 02-07-2005 03:59 PM

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
This exact thing was discussed in the TC4 thread fyi.
I'm sorry I didn't know that, I just want any of the RC magazines to be honest with the consumers

ChadCapece 02-07-2005 04:01 PM

Re: Unless....

Originally posted by Mabuchi540
the car is made by Rolls Royce there's no such thing as a perfect no slop fit. Rc makers just don't work to the level of tolerences that would result in such things.
I don't think you thought that post over before you posted it. Or you have never owned an Xray or TRF.

RCGaryK 02-07-2005 04:03 PM

No sweat what so ever, just wanted to let you know that there was a lot of discussion on this already if this didn't get a whole lof of replies. Here's where it started:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&pagenumber=97

8th post down and goes on for about 2 pages. Shane and Derek both had comments for XRC, and I had my own there too.

MarkA 02-07-2005 04:05 PM

No magazine publisher will ever admit to it (at least not here or in any public forum) but the bottom line is that they have to consider their advertisers, especially in an industry where the number of companies able and willing to buy multiple full-page ads is very small.

“Consumer on the Internet” answers to nobody.

We’ve had many threads on this sort of topic before.

Mabuchi540 02-07-2005 04:05 PM

Re: Re: Unless....

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
I don't think you thought that post over before you posted it. Or you have never owned an Xray or TRF.
don't need to, I've seen them and had a close look at those of owners and there's still slop. Slop to me is ANY amount at all, I'm talking about surgical accuracy or that which may be required in say a Rolex.

I've never seen a car slop free.

dawgmeat 02-07-2005 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Unless....

don't need to, I've seen them and had a close look at those of owners and there's still slop. Slop to me is ANY amount at all, I'm talking about surgical accuracy or that which may be required in say a Rolex.

I've never seen a car slop free.

Sorry dude I own a 415 slop free parts and finish are only equal to the xray

this was not a direct hit the TC4, just the Magazine because I emailed this and nver got a reponse

Mabuchi540 02-07-2005 04:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unless....

Originally posted by dawgmeat
Sorry dude I own a 415 slop free parts and finish are only equal to the xray

this was not a direct hit the TC4, just the Magazine because I emailed this and nver got a reponse

So your telling me the isn't the slightest detectable amount of free play in say the dogbone pin in the out drive or the ball cup on ball studs or any backlash in gears? Or the universals perhaps.

dawgmeat 02-07-2005 04:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unless....

So your telling me the isn't the slightest detectable amount of free play in say the dogbone pin in the out drive or the ball cup on ball studs or any backlash in gears? Or the universals perhaps.
I was talking about the A-arms, other then that therea very minor amount of slop

Mabuchi540 02-07-2005 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unless....

Originally posted by dawgmeat
I was talking about the A-arms, other then that therea very minor amount of slop
Like I said no such thing as a slop free car.:D

RKeasler 02-07-2005 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unless....

I am going to say there is likely to be a certain amount of designed freeplay in certain areas of all cars or the car would bind. When I think of slop I think of freeplay where it should not be. 415 or Xray pretty tight throughout.

Merciless 02-07-2005 04:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unless....

Like I said no such thing as a slop free car.:D
I think what the guys are trying to say is there are levels of finish and quality by which to judge the manufacture of there rc cars.

Tamiya(top line kits) and X-ray are about the best available where Associated are at the bottom. The build quality of the TC4 is a dsgrace i.m.o :( Tamiya and X-ray can be proud of there kits.

There are many other manufactures out there these are just the ones i picked on.

Mabuchi540 02-07-2005 04:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unless....

Originally posted by Merciless
I think what the guys are trying to say is there are levels of finish and quality by which to judge the manufacture of there rc cars.

Tamiya(top line kits) and X-ray are about the best available where Associated are at the bottom. The build quality of the TC4 is a dsgrace i.m.o :( Tamiya and X-ray can be proud of there kits.

There are many other manufactures out there these are just the ones i picked on.

Well yes I agree even from back in my off-road days the RC 10 was diabolical and the X-ray I've seen was sweet.

Hell the only reason I'm racing touring cars on-road is because the car I wanted to race is illegal here in NZ for any sort of racing slop or not lol. (F201)