Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya F104 Version 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks!
It is tamiya light blue.
I did light blue and white but light blue and yellow would have looked good also, IMO.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

thank you. but yellow / blue is more common and I do not like this color combination. while the blue there precisely associated with the white is nice. I have to paint my body F104 (F60), I chose blue / white and also orange. but I think that choose blue.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCformula1
As Terry.Sc rightly said. Ride R1's cause significant understeer out of the box. I do have a successful F104v2 Ride R1 Asphalt Summer setup which gives good steering. If you're interested reply and I'll post it here.

Your avatar says you're in Montreal. I wouldn't be running PS 575 or 579 rears on summer asphalt. Too hot for them and you won't get the grip.

Ride R1 rears can be successfully run with Pit Shimizu fronts. The R1 will give you the rear grip you need and I'd suggest PS 573 front's for air temps in the mid 25 degrees C. As you have them already try the PS 571's on the front with the Ride R1 rears. I personally really like this combo but some find it gives too much steering compared to the 573's.

PS. putting a harder spring on is not going to fix it unfortunately.
I'm interested in your setup!

I run R1 and 571 combination in kansas, where its often times hot in the summer. I even feel the R1 571 combo has not enough steering. The car is really unresponsive to setup changes and keeps pushing through the corners. The car is fast (less than a second off the fast 17.5 TC times) but I still lose a couple of tenths to the fast guy (i'm second fastest) which I feel is due to a lack of steering. I'm about to try Sweep fronts and see if it adds more steering.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by napoleon1981

I run R1 and 571 combination in kansas, where its often times hot in the summer. I even feel the R1 571 combo has not enough steering. The car is really unresponsive to setup changes and keeps pushing through the corners. The car is fast (less than a second off the fast 17.5 TC times) but I still lose a couple of tenths to the fast guy (i'm second fastest) which I feel is due to a lack of steering. I'm about to try Sweep fronts and see if it adds more steering.
Are you using those tires on asphalt? I'm thinking of trying them myself.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by disaac
Are you using those tires on asphalt? I'm thinking of trying them myself.
Yeah I run on asphalt. Im not sure what you mean with trying them myself.....

The Ride R1, shimizu or sweep?

The sweep front + rear combo is total garbage. Rear is sooooo lose, way to much steering.

The shimizu combo is good!

The ride combo is easy to drive, but very pushy

The ride, shimizu 571 combo feels very fast, but lacks a bit of steering compared to shimizu 571, 572 in my hands.

So now I want to try sweep medium front with Ride R1 rear. I will let you know my findings.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah I run on asphalt. Im not sure what you mean with trying them myself.....

The Ride R1, shimizu or sweep?

The sweep front + rear combo is total garbage. Rear is sooooo lose, way to much steering.

The shimizu combo is good!

The ride combo is easy to drive, but very pushy

The ride, shimizu 571 combo feels very fast, but lacks a bit of steering compared to shimizu 571, 572 in my hands.

So now I want to try sweep medium front with Ride R1 rear. I will let you know my findings.
I currently run the 571/572 and they'er very very good, but I will give the the R1/571 combo a try.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cadman1981
RCformula1 - I am always interested! What will putting a harder spring? won't it loosen the rear? If i think about, it would make the rear slip, but won't it help the weight transfer to the front?

Last weekend the track got as high as 60 degrees (c) but was average 50-55 degrees, the Pits worked well, but the Rides worked better over the course of a race, the Pits tended to skid a little (actually sounded cool though)
Wow - that's a hot track. In Melbourne I've run up to about 55C track temp and I ran Ride R1 rears and PS fronts. The Ride R1's are a fantastic hot weather tyre but I only recently invested the time to make the front's turn in. Attached is the setup which had good rear grip and good steering.

The changes I made are listed in the notes field with the changes listed in the order of biggest impact to the smallest impact (which is the order I recommend you try the changes).

While this testing was done on a relatively cold 20C track I am hoping that they will still work as well on a hot track. The hotter track should give more grip for the R1's. If the front has more grip relative to the rear because of the track temp then you might not need to completely remove the spacer under the rear of the Pitch Damper but start by doing that and if you have too much steering try adding some spacers back.

PDF setup sheet issues - When I PDF'd the setup sheet it changed ticks in boxes to a "4" in the box. Also there is a number "3" on the right hand side of the chassis and a "1.5" on the left hand side. Ignore it - a bug in the setup sheet PDF.

Cheers
Attached Files
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What does changing the angle of the shock do to the car? i'm using the TRF damper, i can't find the piece/part to make it longer like the stock shock.

Is it like on a 4wd touring? the more angle for more traction?

Last edited by Cadman1981; 07-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCformula1
Wow - that's a hot track. In Melbourne I've run up to about 55C track temp and I ran Ride R1 rears and PS fronts. The Ride R1's are a fantastic hot weather tyre but I only recently invested the time to make the front's turn in. Attached is the setup which had good rear grip and good steering.

The changes I made are listed in the notes field with the changes listed in the order of biggest impact to the smallest impact (which is the order I recommend you try the changes).

While this testing was done on a relatively cold 20C track I am hoping that they will still work as well on a hot track. The hotter track should give more grip for the R1's. If the front has more grip relative to the rear because of the track temp then you might not need to completely remove the spacer under the rear of the Pitch Damper but start by doing that and if you have too much steering try adding some spacers back.

PDF setup sheet issues - When I PDF'd the setup sheet it changed ticks in boxes to a "4" in the box. Also there is a number "3" on the right hand side of the chassis and a "1.5" on the left hand side. Ignore it - a bug in the setup sheet PDF.

Cheers
Thanks, what do you exactly mean with forward upright position? The middle hole (of the 3) or the totally forward one?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think he means this,

Notice the shock is "extended" on the forward holes, like the original kit shock
Old 07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

The way I read the setup form he means a different position on the steering knuckle, but lets see what it is
Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Initiate

edhchoe would you have the exact number on the cap of the spray paint, give me the blue (Tamiya PS ...)?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pol59
edhchoe would you have the exact number on the cap of the spray paint, give me the blue (Tamiya PS ...)?
Here you go.

I gave it a yellow helmet.

My four bodies..

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Initiate

thank you! and you "backé" black or white? I would say white, but I prefer to have confirmation from you.
nice bodies.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

backed with white.
I did the bottom first because it is the darkest. I didn't have black so I used left over gun metal from the Sauber project. Then I think i put 4-5 coats of blue and then did about 3 coats of white.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.