Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya F104 Version 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What do you guys suggest to help have the car push less?
Make the rear end tigheter? I have the stock kit springs on the sides, and the stock TRF red spring for the center. My shorty battery is forward with the ESC behind it, i have the car sitting level, with 2mm of droop on the back
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cadman1981
Make the rear end tigheter? I have the stock kit springs on the sides, and the stock TRF red spring for the center. My shorty battery is forward with the ESC behind it, i have the car sitting level, with 2mm of droop on the back
easiest thing to try is a stiffer center spring. Go to the solid yellow trf spring which is medium and the red u r using is softest.
idbdoug.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Depends on whether to pushes in general or just when entering a corner. If it understeers everywhere stiffer side springs or mounting the servo vertically as shown in the manual will give more overall steering. If handling is generally okay put you need more steering into the corner use a harder centre spring to get more weight transfer when slowing to turn in.

These are all fine tuning though, the way to make the biggest change in handling is to change the tyres.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Tech Addict

Assuming you are running soft enough front tyres (see tyre guide) then my suggestion for the biggest bang for buck is to reduce the spacers underneath the rear of the pitch damper.

Here's a recent setup sheet of mine:

Half way down the sheet you'll see that the spacer under the rear of the pitch damper is 1.5mm which from memory is the value specified in the manual. Change this to 0.5mm and you should end up with a lot of steering. Find the balance that feels right for you by trying different spacers.

If you make the above change and still don't have enough steering then watch Fred Medel's video that explains the setup sheet (video #6). Linked from here.

Personally, next, I'd try increasing the Akermann by moving the ball position on the upright from the rear hole to the front hole (shown on the setup sheet next to the front right tyre). But this will make the car more twitchy. When you do this you will probably need to check your radio steering end point adjustments.

Changing springs will also make a difference but when I'm trying to solve a problem I like to see big changes in car handling so I know if I'm going in the right direction and then I can dial it back. I tend to change springs for small changes when I already understand the problem and what the change will do.

Hope that helps. For more info see our F1 setup guide.

Last edited by RCformula1; 07-17-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

I'm using the Ride R1 tires front and rear, and i just ordered some Pit Shimizu PS-0574 to go with my PS-0579 - which give me more rear grip than my PS-0575 - PS-0571 combo.

It tends to push on power, so i will try a harder spring. I have the TRF shock, can i put the Tamiya long shock end on it? or do i need a Sedan's shorter shaft? anyone have the Tamiya long shock end part number?

Thank you guys for your help!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

I'm using the Ride R1 tires front and rear,
There's your understeer right there. The Ride fronts aren't soft enough to balance the rears compared with Pits.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

I'm using the Ride R1 tires front and rear, and i just ordered some Pit Shimizu PS-0574 to go with my PS-0579 - which give me more rear grip than my PS-0575 - PS-0571 combo.

It tends to push on power, so i will try a harder spring. I have the TRF shock, can i put the Tamiya long shock end on it? or do i need a Sedan's shorter shaft? anyone have the Tamiya long shock end part number?

I'm finding the 574/572 combination to work quite well at our track. The old 571/572 combination pushed once the tires heated up and had oversteer when the tires were cold. You might want to try the harder rear tires...they may give you more rear grip than you think and not cause the front tires to push so much.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Any one ever run the rear wider then the front on their F1. I want to try the counter weight but the clamp on my axle is the long one. I have the rsector widening kit which uses the short clamp. I put the wide kit on the rear to try out the counter weight as it makes the rear pod completely balanced now. But my rear width is 190 and my front is 180. Are there any rules against this setup and what would the handling be like. Won't be able to try it until Thursday.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerz616
Any one ever run the rear wider then the front on their F1. I want to try the counter weight but the clamp on my axle is the long one. I have the rsector widening kit which uses the short clamp. I put the wide kit on the rear to try out the counter weight as it makes the rear pod completely balanced now. But my rear width is 190 and my front is 180. Are there any rules against this setup and what would the handling be like. Won't be able to try it until Thursday.
Expect massive turn in
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone have a right side servo mount that needs to be gone? Mine has a stripped screw hole. Anyone?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
Does anyone have a right side servo mount that needs to be gone? Mine has a stripped screw hole. Anyone?
Stop by Galaxy sunday and I'll find one for ya.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

As Terry.Sc rightly said. Ride R1's cause significant understeer out of the box. I do have a successful F104v2 Ride R1 Asphalt Summer setup which gives good steering. If you're interested reply and I'll post it here.

Your avatar says you're in Montreal. I wouldn't be running PS 575 or 579 rears on summer asphalt. Too hot for them and you won't get the grip.

Ride R1 rears can be successfully run with Pit Shimizu fronts. The R1 will give you the rear grip you need and I'd suggest PS 573 front's for air temps in the mid 25 degrees C. As you have them already try the PS 571's on the front with the Ride R1 rears. I personally really like this combo but some find it gives too much steering compared to the 573's.

PS. putting a harder spring on is not going to fix it unfortunately.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

RCformula1 - I am always interested! What will putting a harder spring? won't it loosen the rear? If i think about, it would make the rear slip, but won't it help the weight transfer to the front?

Last weekend the track got as high as 60 degrees (c) but was average 50-55 degrees, the Pits worked well, but the Rides worked better over the course of a race, the Pits tended to skid a little (actually sounded cool though)

Last edited by Cadman1981; 07-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

A new body for my f104v2!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

I love the blue. what brand / reference paint. really nice body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.