R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #91
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx View Post
Thanks! I was confused with the V2 manual which says Damper spring hard, gold.
So the black one is harder than the kit suplied, silver is softer.

[IMG]http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/product/720/54359

/header_54359.jpg[/IMG]
We run outdoors on ashphalt low grip..especially this time of the yr as its winter and I changed to pink rear spring as this is the softest and even this spring feels hard compared to TC springs...and I changed side springs to silver as didnt want to go to soft here...also went a bit lighter in oils than kit.
Havent run it yet but I have a feeling it should be good..saying that my F109 was very fast.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic

The Version 2 is a very nice F1 car; probably the best yet from Tamiya!!

However, Tower hobbies is asking $364 for it, and that's way too much by at least $100. And I suspect everyone else's price is in the same ballpark. Tamiya is overpricing this car. I sure wish they would bring that price down to a reasonable level.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #93
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post

However, Tower hobbies is asking $364 for it, and that's way too much by at least $100. And I suspect everyone else's price is in the same ballpark. Tamiya is overpricing this car. I sure wish they would bring that price down to a reasonable level.
That is spendy, perhaps Tower will adjust the price when it becomes available

Speedtech is asking $240 for it
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...l.asp?id=12740

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #94
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post

Have a look at Stella Models as they have it for 220usd and if you buy the F60 body you get it for 15usd..plus shipping of course.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Any comments regarding the comparison between the V2 and the F1R ? Is there a quality or engineering difference ? I must admit I like the idea of a "factory" kit as the engineering is usually very worked out...especially on a Tamiya. Just wondering if I should really consider the V2 when I already have the F1R ?
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #96
Tech Fanatic

RedBull and malcnz, thank you for the suggestions of Speedtech and Stella Models; their prices are much better!!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #97
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to zildjanlang

Hope this way not previously posted......most concise description and comparison of version 2 with Version 1http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=613(just copy this)

Hope this helps
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #98
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjanlang View Post
Hope this way not previously posted......most concise description and comparison of version 2 with Version 1http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=613(just copy this)

Hope this helps
It does help! Excellent article!! Thank you
Old 06-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #99
dfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcnz View Post
We run outdoors on ashphalt low grip..especially this time of the yr as its winter and I changed to pink rear spring as this is the softest and even this spring feels hard compared to TC springs...and I changed side springs to silver as didnt want to go to soft here...also went a bit lighter in oils than kit.
Havent run it yet but I have a feeling it should be good..saying that my F109 was very fast.
It is outdoor part of the season here and we are running low grip asphalt as well so my setup would go in the same way...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #100
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ordered mine from stella!!! Cant wait to bug you guys for more info!!!

SGT *USMC*
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Dropsomegears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #101
Tech Elite

Does anyone know where I can get a set of those Blue Anno. 5 x 25mm Chassis Posts for the V.2? I think they're part # BB4. Having troubles finding it.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #102
dfx
Tech Adept

I think that they have the same length like other F104 posts ...26mm
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #103
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-PaP View Post
I'm building mine at the moment. I'm hoping to have it ready by Wednesday and plan to do a full comparison. Going to run the following in each of the 4 races using the exact same motor and gear ratio and same compound tyres.

1. F104 x1 with my current settings
2. F104 x1 with rear widening kit removed
3. F104 v2 undecided on settings yet (may go softer roll & pitch springs and add some toe out at the front since that really helps at the track I race... May just directly swap the front end from the x1 on to do an initial test if I'm short on time)
4. Exotek F1 ultra

Should be interesting to how each car performs.
So to follow up on my nights racing in which I was able to test 3 different cars. I skipped on testing the f104 x1 with the widening kit removed as I wasn't happy with the first qualifier.

Track tonight was extremely chilly and damp due to the clear night. In past experience with these conditions traction is definitely not easy. You can't punch the car out of corners but instead really need to make sure you are straight.

I used the exact same motor and esc in each car. Same set of tyres for the two F104's. The f103 was the same compound but the f103 version.

Race 1 (well was actually race 2) - F104 X1

The car behaved reasonably well given the conditions. The way I drive is I do like to hug the paint which was impossible in the conditions so did need to be a bit more careful. Front traction was pretty good. The low speed corners car was turning on a dime. Corner exit you needed to be sure you were straight at the time. At high speed corners I did need to back off and throttle as I'm going through as it was understeering.

Fastest lap - 12.688

Race 2 - F1 Ultra

This car was really nice to drive. Clearly felt quicker than the f104 did. The wider rear tyres meant I could punch it out of corners. It could have used a little more front toe out but the car is setup for a different track. As a result low speed corners were not able to be taken as well as the f104 x1. In the high speed corners I was able to take it full throttle without even fully steering. The link type chassis really keeps the rear gripping right through the corner. The car is a bit different to drive to the f104 so I do think had I used the car throughout the night a 12-12.1 was definitely possible.

Fastest lap - 12.222

Race 3 - F104 V2

Was really curious how Tamiya goes on this car. From the kit setup I did fit the carbon hopups (rear wing and shock brace) and alloy motor mount. What I was really surprised about was given my x1 has no alloy in it at all bar the camber plate, diff and top plate posts, the v2 still weighed 10 grams less and had the alloy motor mount and two dampers etc.

I went for softest springs for the roll and pitch and 20wt oil in the roll damper and 30wt in the pitch damper. One mistake I did make is I forgot to pre tension the pitch shock. As a result I did the race with the car about 1-2mm off the ground. Didn't damage the chassis too badly surprisingly. More surprising is that given the chassis was dragging along and the pitch and roll springs weren't able to work as they were meant to, the car was still easy to drive. Rear traction was not as good as the f103 and I did need more front toe out. But it was planted in the high speed corners and was close to turning on a dime in the low speed corners. Had the pitch damper been set correctly I think it would have performed stronger. I think this car is definitely the one to have. Should be good for at least .3 faster than my fastest lap

Fastest lap - 12.188
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #104
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

First race with the VII against my bud Steve and his Exotec

Close racing, lot's of fun

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #105
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
First race with the VII against my bud Steve and his Exotec

Close racing, lot's of fun

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
what power systems are those guys using ...is that brushless or silver cans?
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote