R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #811
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi View Post
Great, 2 weeks after I buy an f104 v2, Tamiya announces this- 93033 F104V2 Pro D Titanium Edition with Body!!

I wonder what all will be different on this version.
Maybe this is what is going lo look like

Maybe replace some alum parts with titanium? I hope the include the motor cage! ($50 something extra on top of the pricy V2 kit )
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #812
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
It will be a few months before you can buy them. So enjoy your new car! If it is worthy I will add it to my stable.
I thought I was bad at hoarding cars but you got 3 f1's? now I wont feel so bad but if its worth it ill add it as well as a shelf queen. I hope it comes painted though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCformula1 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions. It's always a challenge to remotely diagnose these sort of problems.

You should not be getting issues when accelerating using a silver can. It just doesn't have the power.

Edit: Just re-read your post and I mis-read the tyres you are using so have changed my initial response

We have seen problems mixing Ride on the rear and Pit Shimitzu on the front. The only Ride tyres we have tested which work with PS fronts are the Ride R1's which are very good with PS 571 soft fronts. You say you're running Ride R1's on the rear? Which Pit Shimitzu tyres are you running on the front?

I have the ps 571-572. So 571 fronts and also have the soft rears and rides soft rears.

The other thing to check is that the grub screws holding the carbon axle are holding the axle firmly and not slipping. We stopped using carbon axles for this reason. We use the stock steel axle. However, it doesn't sound like this is the issue.

Screw is good as I just put it back together and remove 2 axles shims like some one said to do a few pages back

The starting point in any setup is the right tyres.

Check out our Tyre guide.

What is the track temp?

60*f

Does handling change after you've done some warm up laps? What's the approximate air temp?

Not really

Are you running on carpet or asphalt?

Asphalt, very rough track with no traction sprayed juat blown off and cleaned up.

Are you using any traction compound? If so, how are you applying it?

Yes im using paragron letting it sit for 30 mins on all tire patch, but i just bought a set of muchmore tire warmer a so hopefully that helps

What tyres are the fast guys at your track running?

Im the first guy with an f1 out there, just trying to get the class going and interest. But there will be 4 more in the next 2 weeks!!!! so im kind of on my own trial and error.

Edit: The RSector High Traction System shouldn't be causing any issues, in fact the extra weight should assist with smooth acceleration. You can see our review of it here.

OH CRAP!! Ill see if my tire are rubbing inside according to the article.

Do you have any issues with tracking in a straight line when you are not accelerating or braking? Is anything bent at the front (eg; plastic arms or sometimes the plastic pieces under the alloy camber piece can shift so that when looking at the front of the car one side of the front is higher than the other)

Yes tracks straight until wot

Compress the front suspension one side at a time. Do the king pins move up and down freely and return to their starting position by themselves?

Its free. Last week I was asking why it was so bouncy and after looking closely I had put the hard front springs. I read the entire tamiya article and I changed things according to what they said on a low bite bumpy track. So I go out with soft front springs only to pull out after a few laps.... so bumpy and cracked front end was dumping and catching some of the cracks and dragged body, but I put medium springs and its good now. Ill download a different pdf setup for similar track like mine.

Are you running toe in on the front? (recommend toe out instead)

I have 2* of toe out.

If you accelerate gently and steadily does the issue still occur? It should take approximately 1 second to reach full throttle.

Does the ESC have a throttle profile setting? If so choose the middle one. Aggressive throttle profiles with silver cans don't help these sort of problems but shouldn't be causing it on it's own.
No esc is locked cant change anything other than pulling it out and straight to trash can. Ill be borrowing a havoc tonight though

Thanks for replying!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #813
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

577Fr
575Rr
Would be a better tire set for those conditions

Also try cleaning tires with Simple Green

Paragon is great if the surface is clean, and sprayed with some sort of treatment like sugar water, but not so special on a dry dusty surface

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #814
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
Thanks for replying!
Ouch! Thanks for the track photos. I think I see your problem

Ok, so 60F is very cool. I assume you're in the Northern Hemisphere and it's winter.

1. Ride R1 rear and PS 571 front should be ok but I agree with RedBullFiXX that Pit Shimitzu 575 soft Rears will give you more grip at that temp. So if you have some 575's then put them on. Leave the 571's on the front.

2. What's your ride height? 5.5-6mm on a track that bumpy might be a good start. And once you raise your ride height I suggest you go back to soft springs on the front, soft centre damper spring, 30-35wt centre damper oil. Can others make a suggestion on the v2 side springs please as I haven't experimented much with these?

3. Tyre warmers should make a big difference. Put them on for 5 min at 55C (130F). Front and rear. If they are the wrap around type then they'll fit well. If they are the solid can type then cut a square of cloth to go between the tyre and the can. Helps to centre the tyre and spread the heat.

4. Leave the Paragon off for now and see how warm tyres go without it. Then try it again.

Good luck!

We publish RC F1 news and articles regularly. To see them in your Facebook news feed Like us on Facebook here - www.facebook.com/rcformula1
RCformula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #815
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I just bought a F104 v2 pro, from a guy at my track, and he gave me a ton of parts. It came with a bunch of springs for the pitch damper and roll springs, and the front. I am trying to get some different setups, but I dont know what the different rates are. Is there a chart for all the different rates? I found a few, but I have some blue, white and purple that I cant seem to find the rates. I can kind of tell by compressing them with my finger, but would like an accurate chart of some sort.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #816
Tech Rookie

hi guys!!

Using wheels and tires R1 Ride ETS ... I tried to change the height of bringing it up to 5mm from the ground ... moving the original front hubs using the supplied 2mm thickness 1.5 mm and 1.00 ..... but moving (from below) 1mm + hub +2 mm +1.5 mm circle touches the pin .... where am I wrong?
brykko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #817
Tech Adept

Our club is starting to get a F1 class going ( 1 cell 17.5 foam tire). I am curious as how do you get the foam to stick to the rim.
scr8pn4205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #818
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pn4205 View Post
Our club is starting to get a F1 class going ( 1 cell 17.5 foam tire). I am curious as how do you get the foam to stick to the rim.
Tamiya tires come with double stick tape and instructions.

You can use contact cement and laquer thinner just like in the old days of gluing donuts to wheels.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #819
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
I just bought a F104 v2 pro, from a guy at my track, and he gave me a ton of parts. It came with a bunch of springs for the pitch damper and roll springs, and the front. I am trying to get some different setups, but I dont know what the different rates are. Is there a chart for all the different rates? I found a few, but I have some blue, white and purple that I cant seem to find the rates. I can kind of tell by compressing them with my finger, but would like an accurate chart of some sort.
Here are all the spring options from Tamiya that are used on the v2:

http://rcformula1.com.au/index.php/a...2-spring-rates

The standard Tamiya part options don't have a blue, white or purple option. That doesn't mean that they have never made them or even that they aren't available from Tamiya for another kit. But I don't believe that they're a standard v2 part. They may be from another manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brykko
Using wheels and tires R1 Ride ETS ... I tried to change the height of bringing it up to 5mm from the ground ... moving the original front hubs using the supplied 2mm thickness 1.5 mm and 1.00 ..... but moving (from below) 1mm + hub +2 mm +1.5 mm circle touches the pin .... where am I wrong?
Not sure why this would be. Can you post a photo please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pn4205
I am curious as how do you get the foam to stick to the rim.
Double sided tape designed for the job. You stick it on the rim and then spray the inside of the tyre with motor spray and it slides right on. When the motor spray evaporates the tyre is stuck to the rim. TRG make some. There is a link to a tutorial video from our Tyres page (side bar under the heading Tyre Mounting).

We publish RC F1 news and articles regularly. To see them in your Facebook news feed Like us on Facebook here - www.facebook.com/rcformula1
RCformula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #820
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I am curious as how do you get the foam to stick to the rim.
If you are using Tamiya foams they come with a double sided tape which works great, and getting the film off between the tyre and tape does get easier with practice.

If you don't have the tyre tape use contact cement. Coat the wheel and tyre with contact cement and leave 24 hours to dry fully. Usually you then get a large jar and fill with lacquer thinner, dip the wheel and tyre into the thinner for a second or two to soften the glue then slide them together. The Tamiya wheels tend to melt in thinner so once dry I coat the wheels and tyres with glue again then slide them together and leave to dry.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #821
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
You have some crc or possibly associated springs

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #822
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
You have some crc or possibly associated springs
Yeah. I figured that out last night looking through some of my WGT stuff.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Anybody has pictures of the kit and how they are wired using both shorty and full packs? Not an easy kit to route the wires nicely. Need some ideas..

Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #824
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
Anybody has pictures of the kit and how they are wired using both shorty and full packs? Not an easy kit to route the wires nicely. Need some ideas..

Thanks in advance
Mine is not the neatest but here it is.

edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #825
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I've always used the double sided tape for those donuts, but when i would mount the donuts on the wheels i'm using water with soap (for dishes) and and bring this on the tape and the innerside of the donut and then slide the donut on the wheel.
This will give you the opportunity to replace the tire in the areas where it isn't fit well.
And when you have the tire mounted with a minimum of woubling leave it to dry for at least half a day and then use some instant glue for glueing the side of the donut to the wheel and then leave it to dry once again.
When that is done use some sandpaper to clean it a little bit up and the tires are ready for use.
And use a tire arbor to true down the tire to the diameter you want if you prefer it.
I've always been doing this without any issues so far and my donuts are almost mounted perfectly to the wheel.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote