Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya F104 Version 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Last night was the 1st time I really enjoyed my F104v2. I have been having issues in getting the Dif set right. Seemed like I had 1/32nd of a turn from to tight to too loose. Put in a the Thrust bearing Hop Up. Car no longer pushes, was a pleasure to drive. I should have done this a while back.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Wonder how those compare to Shimizus
Yea I was hoping someone would chime in before I ordered them. Ill wait a few weeks more
Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez
Originally Posted by Dan
Wonder how those compare to Shimizus
They look good, and the rims are reasonably strong (compared to the fairly brittle older Ride rims). The rears grip pretty well, but I'm getting understeer with the fronts and trying to improve it. Could be a function of surface and/or my setup, but a few people at my local track have had similar experiences. If you've got plenty of turn in at the moment, then give 'em a go.

The rears look as though they'll last longer than the 0572 Shimizus, so I've ordered a set of the silver F104 foam rims in order to have similar-ish wheels front and rear (I'm gonna try 0571 on the front and R1 on the back).
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hi.
I have a question. I used to have a F103 but I sold it because it was so difficult to drive. Are the F104 v2 a lot easier to drive?
There aren't any race tracks in my area so I just play in my driveway. The rear end traction was always too loose...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default First trip

Finally got my V2 on the track for the first time today.... on a new layout of course and all I can say Is WOW! this thing was a Rocket and with a few tweaks it was a pleasure to drive. All that is left is to learn how she drives a bit more as its oddly much more sensitive.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
Hi.
I have a question. I used to have a F103 but I sold it because it was so difficult to drive. Are the F104 v2 a lot easier to drive?
There aren't any race tracks in my area so I just play in my driveway. The rear end traction was always too loose...
I don't think the new cars are any easier to drive, but with the advent of new rubber tires in many combinations, one can make the VII into a cadillac for the driveway
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I don't think the new cars are any easier to drive, but with the advent of new rubber tires in many combinations, one can make the VII into a cadillac for the driveway
Can you suggest the tire combo plz? Also the inserts.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Can you suggest the tire combo plz? Also the inserts.
Shimizu 577Fr, 575Rr
Use the included inserts
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just an opinion, if using the Pit 575 for the rear, my experience is the kit insert is too soft and will groove the tire quickly.

Solution is to have air inside the tire by sealing any holes. The air pressure will help support the tire and improves tire wear significantly.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

So don't drill holes on the wheels? Will the plastic rims that come with the kit fit the tires? Are those regular foam wheels?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rccartips
Just an opinion, if using the Pit 575 for the rear, my experience is the kit insert is too soft and will groove the tire quickly.

Solution is to have air inside the tire by sealing any holes. The air pressure will help support the tire and improves tire wear significantly.
I would NOT recommend this
So don't drill holes on the wheels? Will the plastic rims that come with the kit fit the tires? Are those regular foam wheels?
And yes, the kit plastic wheels are correct for Shimizu tires

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 11-13-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Rob (and everyone else)

I've watched a lot of the videos on your rcf1 blog channel and have a few questions that others may want to know too.

Does your weight distribution for the F104 carry over to the F104v2?
Will more weight over the front axles cause mid and exit corner push?
Why put 60g on rear chassis instead of the rear pod? What are the two effects? This is a reaction to Rsector releasing that metal pod and diffuser.

I can't find a good balance between off power spin outs and on power push. Hoping adding weight will give me a wider setup window.

And since almost everything is legal here, any suggestions on treating the Pardus handout tires? Sanding? Softening?

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Defector

Ok guys
I've had an F103 with carbon chassis etc for about 18 months here in NZ and have had a fair bit of success campaining it in club, regional and national events during that time - (current NZ#2).
We run primarily foam tyres on untreated asphalt and carpet with no additive, RS540J silver-can motors and unlimited gearing.
The F103 and F109 pretty much dominate over here with their wide setup and F104's are pretty hard to get into an a-main.
Well, my good friend who is a Tamiya stalwart convinced me that we both needed to get a couple of these V2 cars mainly because he is a scale-looks/concourse nazi and believes that Tamiya poops pure-white with no smell whatsoever.
Needless to say I was skeptical of these skinny cars as I also run a 235mm wide Pro10 and a 12R5.1 and reason that a car has to be almost as wide as it is long to be any good. I figured at best it would be an ok carpet car so went ahead.
Well I'm prepared to put my hand up and say that for the first time in my life I may have been wrong... I put this kit together (my first new build) over the space of a couple of weeks adding only the alloy motor mount, carbon brace and TRF shock... then I went to the final round of my clubs outdoor championships on Sunday and just dominated from the start. With a bit of tweaking and adjusting, I was down to almost matching my best lap times from my 103 within 1 day of racing. The car responds so well to adjustments and doesn't suffer from the vagueness of a t-bar car. It remained consistent through the whole day. The skinny track width doesn't hinder rear traction at all and in fact some other racers who sampled it at the end of the day reckoned they had never seen an F1 car so planted in the rear. Even spectators came up and said the thing looked like it was glued to the track!
I was running the steel axle, pink side springs with a bit of preload, an AE Green centre spring, Tamiya Black front springs, 10WT AE oil in main and side dampers, 2.0 degrees negative camber and no damper lube in the king pins. DIALLED!

Anyway, here's some pics. I even went as far as reshaping the rear wing to match Kimi's car
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Version 2-lotus3.jpg   Tamiya F104 Version 2-lotus5.jpg   Tamiya F104 Version 2-lotus1.jpg   Tamiya F104 Version 2-lotus2.jpg   Tamiya F104 Version 2-lotus6.jpg  

Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishy
Ok guys
I've had an F103 with carbon chassis etc for about 18 months here in NZ and have had a fair bit of success campaining it in club, regional and national events during that time - (current NZ#2).
We run primarily foam tyres on untreated asphalt and carpet with no additive, RS540J silver-can motors and unlimited gearing.
The F103 and F109 pretty much dominate over here with their wide setup and F104's are pretty hard to get into an a-main.
Well, my good friend who is a Tamiya stalwart convinced me that we both needed to get a couple of these V2 cars mainly because he is a scale-looks/concourse nazi and believes that Tamiya poops pure-white with no smell whatsoever.
Needless to say I was skeptical of these skinny cars as I also run a 235mm wide Pro10 and a 12R5.1 and reason that a car has to be almost as wide as it is long to be any good. I figured at best it would be an ok carpet car so went ahead.
Well I'm prepared to put my hand up and say that for the first time in my life I may have been wrong... I put this kit together (my first new build) over the space of a couple of weeks adding only the alloy motor mount, carbon brace and TRF shock... then I went to the final round of my clubs outdoor championships on Sunday and just dominated from the start. With a bit of tweaking and adjusting, I was down to almost matching my best lap times from my 103 within 1 day of racing. The car responds so well to adjustments and doesn't suffer from the vagueness of a t-bar car. It remained consistent through the whole day. The skinny track width doesn't hinder rear traction at all and in fact some other racers who sampled it at the end of the day reckoned they had never seen an F1 car so planted in the rear. Even spectators came up and said the thing looked like it was glued to the track!
I was running the steel axle, pink side springs with a bit of preload, an AE Green centre spring, Tamiya Black front springs, 10WT AE oil in main and side dampers, 2.0 degrees negative camber and no damper lube in the king pins. DIALLED!

Anyway, here's some pics. I even went as far as reshaping the rear wing to match Kimi's car
VERY NICE built sir. I just want to ask how you managed to have that matte finish on both the side pods platform. Thanks and Cheers!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any comparisons of the V2 to the Exotek car? Just curious, I'm still running a Pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.