R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #286
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
Would the F104 PRO ver.II be able to keep up with the F103's or the F104W(GP)'s?
Cause here in my country we have a mixed field of cars at the race and i don't want to spend money on a car that's only capable of following while it's not able to compete for the first place.
I've been reading a lot of good comments about this car and i'm one click away of buying the car but i just want to make sure it is capable of competing against the F103's etc.
Very easy to transform in F103 200 mm width, just spend 25$ in a front F103 axle, thatīs all and you need to have a link with springs system in your F103 verII spec car.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #287
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Another race day with the F104 V2 and again the links failed me. Broke one associated link, and broke the "football". Well the lower plastic part (tamiya) of what holds the middle pivot ball in.

Didn't even have a crash. Lightly grazed a a wall and that was it, game over. Out came the trusty original F104 Pro and that as the saying goes was history.

This car drives excellent and has lots of tunability but it seems the link arrangement is very fragile. Anyone else finding this?
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #288
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
Another race day with the F104 V2 and again the links failed me. Broke one associated link, and broke the "football". Well the lower plastic part (tamiya) of what holds the middle pivot ball in.

Didn't even have a crash. Lightly grazed a a wall and that was it, game over. Out came the trusty original F104 Pro and that as the saying goes was history.

This car drives excellent and has lots of tunability but it seems the link arrangement is very fragile. Anyone else finding this?
I've broken the link and centre pivot ball once in about 6 weeks of racing (racing weekly). That was after getting hit side on, coming to a stop then getting hit a 2nd time side on by another car in the pack.

My f103 exotek that uses associated links hasn't broken one yet in 2-3 months and that has had a few big crashes.

Quote:
Would the F104 PRO ver.II be able to keep up with the F103's or the F104W(GP)'s?
Cause here in my country we have a mixed field of cars at the race and i don't want to spend money on a car that's only capable of following while it's not able to compete for the first place.
I've been reading a lot of good comments about this car and i'm one click away of buying the car but i just want to make sure it is capable of competing against the F103's etc.
It is faster than my f103 exotek conversion.
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #289
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah J-Pap. Now that oyu mention it, my EXOF104 with associated side links had some major crashes and never had any problems with the side links. Perhaps i should go the way 3racing did and get side links made from a turnbuckle? it will be a lot stronger that way, but if something went wrong it would bend or damage other parts of the car (ie tear out the ball from the chassis are require a new chassis to be bought)
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #290
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah J-Pap. Now that oyu mention it, my EXOF104 with associated side links had some major crashes and never had any problems with the side links. Perhaps i should go the way 3racing did and get side links made from a turnbuckle? it will be a lot stronger that way, but if something went wrong it would bend or damage other parts of the car (ie tear out the ball from the chassis are require a new chassis to be bought)
Have a look at bmi flex links. Instead of side springs it uses a thin strip of carbon. May be worthwhile option.
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #291
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
if the driver can keep up with them the car should.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #292
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the purpose of making a 1mm hole on the damper cap?
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #293
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
if the driver can keep up with them the car should.
I don't have the problem of keeping up with the others but there is a difference between a F103 and a F104 on the track and that's what you notice.
From my experience i have a better feeling with the F104PRO then with the F104W and that's why i'm considering to buy a F104 PRO ver.II over a F104WGP.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #294
Tech Champion

Quote:

With the links closer to the center of the car the rear pod is going to put more torque on them when you do hit or brush stuff which is going to make it easier to break the links. Back in the EV10 days I even broke a few of the turn buckle ones. Turn buckles are going to be stronger but man are they a pain in the butt to get set right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-PaP View Post
Have a look at bmi flex links. Instead of side springs it uses a thin strip of carbon. May be worthwhile option.
I'm running those on my Exotek F1R and they work fine...I was even able to find a way to lower the link so all but the pivot now fits under the body
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #295
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

any build logs for the ver2?
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #296
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

In the setup sheet that Fred posted for the Tamiya track, he lists the shock oil he's using as 900. Is this CST, or does anyone know what shock oil he is using?

I'm trying to get a baseline asphalt setup on my car.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #297
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
any build logs for the ver2?
Check the VII link in my sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaari77 View Post
In the setup sheet that Fred posted for the Tamiya track, he lists the shock oil he's using as 900. Is this CST, or does anyone know what shock oil he is using?

I'm trying to get a baseline asphalt setup on my car.
We are using Tamiya 900wt Silicon shock oil, that is the clear bottle that comes with the kit
I don't have a cst standards chart handy for all the brands, but I'm pretty sure Tamiya silicons are in line with most

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #298
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Check the VII link in my sig
Thanks RBFiXX!
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #299
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RicerX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreasurada View Post
What is the purpose of making a 1mm hole on the damper cap?
It's to create a vent hole for when the shock shaft goes into the cap it doesn't create necessary pressure and increase damping rate. So when you compress the shock, the shaft wont rebound (w/o a spring). (poor explanation but its the best I could do with my limited knowledge)
RicerX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
....I'm running those on my Exotek F1R and they work fine...I was even able to find a way to lower the link so all but the pivot now fits under the body
I will appreciate if you can post some photos.

Where can we buy the carbon links?