R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #1756
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Exotek Wheels

Hey guys, I have a F104 with the 187 width. I was having a ton of issues with traction rolling. There are a bunch of guys that run at the Banana Raceway here in Texas and they helped me sort out my car after months of frustration!

That being said, the key things to do on a high grip carpet track was to use tire glue on the sidewall of the fronts and fill in the little ridge that is between the sidewall and the tire contact patch. That made a huge difference. Just be careful not to get glue on the contact patch. I use a q-tip to apply the glue so I have more control.

I was then lucky enough that one of the guys let me try a set of his tires that were mounted on the Exotek rims with the +3 offset. WOW!!! My car went from skitish in low speed turns to planted! I was able to come off the last turn and onto the straight by punching it instead of having to be more gentle on throttle. Overall they just allowed a much more stable car. I noticed that it was much more stable down the straight under power and I was able to take the high speed sweeper flat out. My lap time went from mid 12's to mid 11's immediately. It just provided that confidence in the car that allowed me to be much more consistent.

When tightening up your shock, make sure you don't tighten it so much that you end up causing flex in the deck. (Upside-down U shape). Check your ride height all around to make sure it doesn't get out of shape. I run 4mm all around on our track and that seems to be perfect.

I apologize if this comes across in any way as a know-it-all as it is not my intent at all. I just happened to be testing, and most importantly learning, from the pro's at our track last night and saw this post. This is what worked for me to transform my car drastically from one that flips on low speed corners and the straight to one that I can put some seriously fast laps on. I drive in a mini class and a touring car class too so the driving style between all of them definitely helps.

I hope this helps someone as much as it helped me. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, please PM me and I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #1757
Tech Apprentice

haha, how about this~

IAmGreatDane likes this.

Last edited by Z_SHUAI; 10-17-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Z_SHUAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #1758
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless RC info View Post
Hey guys, I have a F104 with the 187 width. I was having a ton of issues with traction rolling. There are a bunch of guys that run at the Banana Raceway here in Texas and they helped me sort out my car after months of frustration!

That being said, the key things to do on a high grip carpet track was to use tire glue on the sidewall of the fronts and fill in the little ridge that is between the sidewall and the tire contact patch. That made a huge difference. Just be careful not to get glue on the contact patch. I use a q-tip to apply the glue so I have more control.

I was then lucky enough that one of the guys let me try a set of his tires that were mounted on the Exotek rims with the +3 offset. WOW!!! My car went from skitish in low speed turns to planted! I was able to come off the last turn and onto the straight by punching it instead of having to be more gentle on throttle. Overall they just allowed a much more stable car. I noticed that it was much more stable down the straight under power and I was able to take the high speed sweeper flat out. My lap time went from mid 12's to mid 11's immediately. It just provided that confidence in the car that allowed me to be much more consistent.

When tightening up your shock, make sure you don't tighten it so much that you end up causing flex in the deck. (Upside-down U shape). Check your ride height all around to make sure it doesn't get out of shape. I run 4mm all around on our track and that seems to be perfect.

I apologize if this comes across in any way as a know-it-all as it is not my intent at all. I just happened to be testing, and most importantly learning, from the pro's at our track last night and saw this post. This is what worked for me to transform my car drastically from one that flips on low speed corners and the straight to one that I can put some seriously fast laps on. I drive in a mini class and a touring car class too so the driving style between all of them definitely helps.

I hope this helps someone as much as it helped me. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, please PM me and I would be happy to help in any way I can.
When do they run the F1's at Banana? Been trying to get at class together at TRCC in Tyler and only a few guys are running them.
tim_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #1759
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

Can someone please explain what the benefit of gluing the side walls is.
Seatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #1760
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The tire doesn't collapse and fold over as easily due to the high traction. On gray carpet, I have not had to do it but when racing on CRC black carpet, it was necessary most of the time.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #1761
Tech Regular

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!
astgerma52sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #1762
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The tire doesn't collapse and fold over as easily due to the high traction. On gray carpet, I have not had to do it but when racing on CRC black carpet, it was necessary most of the time.
Thank you for the information! Our local hobby shop recently installed the CRC black carpet, replacing pretty worn gray carpet. Traction rolling was never an issue for me on the gray, but it's all I can do to keep if from rolling on the black. I'll try some of the set-up advice above.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #1763
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Hey Dan, one last thing. How far up do you apply the CA? Would half be good? I'm running Pit's in Tamiya wheels. Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #1764
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I've applied it up to the sidewall line on the Pit/Shimizu/CRC tire. Start with one coat and see how it feels. I've seen some guys do two coats when traction is really high. As someone previously mentioned, don't get any on the tire contact patch.

The CA sidewall thing is a more permanent fix so I would try adjusting suspension first and experimenting. Generally when traction picks up, I go with a softer front spring (with less front tire sauce), more caster/camber, and softer center and side springs to reduce roll.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #1765
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey everyone, I'm about to pick up an older V2 and rebuilt it for club racing on medium grip carpet (CRC grey)

Can anyone suggest a baseline setup for me to use?

Planning on running Exotek offset wheels with Shimizu tires, shorty lipo, 21.5T.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #1766
Tech Regular

you can start with this one
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/tam...ay20120704.pdf

to complete the setup you can put a bigger central damper with a progressive spring (like the xray for exemple)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #1767
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
When do they run the F1's at Banana? Been trying to get at class together at TRCC in Tyler and only a few guys are running them.
Every week now. But you probably know that by now.
Useless RC info is offline   Reply With Quote