R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #1741
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,809
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifuqiao View Post
Hey, guys,
Recently got a f104 v2 pro used.
I have been playing TC, but F1 is entire new territory , and it doesn't seem to be discussed as often as TC.
I am just curious what is good baseline fdr for f1 with 25.5.

I have been doing a lot of search, but most of them seems to be talking about 21.5.

Btw, did Tamiya change the rule?
I remember 21.5 was what f1 was running, but did they slow it down?
Tamiya did change the rule to a specific 25.5. The rule is below.

"Motor rules: You MUST use the REEDY 25.5 MACH 3 motor for this class. (Part #252) Note: YOU MAY ONLY use the included rotor and stator. The output shaft has the number 273 number etched on it for easy identification during post tech inspection. https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...tor_25_5_spec/ The same motor will be used for the 2017 season."
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #1742
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 240
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the reply, man.
So what is a good base line fdr using 25.5?
yifuqiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #1743
Dan
Tech Elite
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,339
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

25.5 is only for TCS and tracks that converted over. There are still many tracks running 21.5. Check your local track rules.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #1744
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 240
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Guys, all I need to know is what is a good base fdr for 25.5
I did check the rules, that is why I was asking.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/race/race.asp

I am trying to order a few pinion gears.
yifuqiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #1745
Tech Champion
 
Slotmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 5,675
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifuqiao View Post
Guys, all I need to know is what is a good base fdr for 25.5
I did check the rules, that is why I was asking.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/race/race.asp

I am trying to order a few pinion gears.
If you are on a larger type track like 100ft. Straight with rubber tires I would go for a range of 33 to 40 tooth pinions using a 94 spur..... I run a 36 x 94 with a 21.5 motor.
__________________
HOBBYWING NORTH AMERICA /FALCON SEKIDO/ TEKNO RC TEAM/VBC Racing America/VP-PRO RACING TIRES/2010 R.O.A.R. VTA National Champion Driving a T2R PRO/NANO-TECH Batteries Paul Rush
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #1746
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
Anyone have tips for Trez83? I have the same issue. I was thinking of putting AW grease in the Diff to help when the rear lifts and the car diffs out
This past winter was my first for racing F1 and I had the same thing happening. It drove me nuts. I tried everything. Then I noticed that F104s are narrower than all the other F1 cars at the track because it is more to scale. Track width is around 180mm while all other cars were around 200mm. I was running Tamiya wheels but it seems that RIDE and other manufacturer make wheels for the 104 that have extra offset to kick the wheels out about 5mm per side. Is this true??? I have put the car away for the summer but I may just order up a set of wheels to check it out. The wider track should prevent lifting and traction rolling. Also, I am going to buy the spacer ring so that I can run standard spur gears with more balls along with a thicker lube. (jokes anyone?) Also going to run a lower profile rear wing. Last resort will be to mount the shorty to the rear instead of to the front as I have it now.
I am also running a Tuning Haus cross damper tube and CRC side springs with Exotek pre-load adjusters - same as my CRC XTi. Oversized main damper is in the cards.

Has anyone else tried these things???
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #1747
Tech Addict
 
scirocco14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Try a stiffer center shock spring, and stiffer side springs. Those will help rotate the car better. Keep going stiffer on the center spring until the car wants to spin out under power, then go back one step softer. Lifting the inner wheel and diffing out is also a symptom of driving it like a touring car vs. a pan car. The straighter you can keep the front wheels under power, the faster you'll go and less diffing out. You'll have to adjust your driving lines slightly.

As far as the wider wheels, you can also space the hubs out with shims to get wider track if you can't find the wheels.
__________________
Mark C. USVTA #115 TC4 & Xray T4 '13, USGT #115 Xray T4 '13
USVTA-F1 #115 F103/4 & F1R3 & WTF1 FC-16. Tamiya M05 M06
Bush River RC, The RUG at King, Ho B Max Raceway, Easley RC
scirocco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #1748
Tech Fanatic
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

stiffen the rear...opposite of a touring car
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #1749
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Thanks guys. No one runs F1 here in the summer so I'll try it in the fall.

Back to the wheel offset, do these Rides give a 200mm width? The description says 'F104 only'...

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4742
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #1750
Tech Elite
 
bigb11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE,NY
Posts: 3,137
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11
Default

has anyone tried the trf 101w frontend on the f104 v2?
__________________
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #1751
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb11 View Post
has anyone tried the trf 101w frontend on the f104 v2?
Yes, Tamiya has. That's how they made the 101W.

Just kidding, I just had to. I have not tried it personally but the front end is compatible with all F104 chassis (and F103 for that matter). In fact, the main chassis plate 101W and the V2 are interchangeable, but not identical. This I know because I used a 101W chassis on my V2 for a time.

The main differences between the 101W and V2 rear ends is the links on the V2 have only one mounting position, but the TRF101 has multiple mounting position so it can be used as a tuning adjustment.

The other main difference is the rear differential/spur gear assembly which is moved slightly more towards the middle of the rear axle for different balance characteristics.

Switching to the 101W front end, you'll also need wider rear tires to match the wider front track. Or run mis-matched widths if your class allows it.
viking44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #1752
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeGee View Post
This past winter was my first for racing F1 and I had the same thing happening. It drove me nuts. I tried everything. Then I noticed that F104s are narrower than all the other F1 cars at the track because it is more to scale. Track width is around 180mm while all other cars were around 200mm. I was running Tamiya wheels but it seems that RIDE and other manufacturer make wheels for the 104 that have extra offset to kick the wheels out about 5mm per side. Is this true??? I have put the car away for the summer but I may just order up a set of wheels to check it out. The wider track should prevent lifting and traction rolling. Also, I am going to buy the spacer ring so that I can run standard spur gears with more balls along with a thicker lube. (jokes anyone?) Also going to run a lower profile rear wing. Last resort will be to mount the shorty to the rear instead of to the front as I have it now.
I am also running a Tuning Haus cross damper tube and CRC side springs with Exotek pre-load adjusters - same as my CRC XTi. Oversized main damper is in the cards.

Has anyone else tried these things???
Exotech make 3mm offset wheels. The width is 187 mm. If you use +3 offset put the 104 front end at 190 mm
__________________
capt waffles
sobiski racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #1753
Tech Elite
 
bigb11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE,NY
Posts: 3,137
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking44 View Post
Yes, Tamiya has. That's how they made the 101W.

Just kidding, I just had to. I have not tried it personally but the front end is compatible with all F104 chassis (and F103 for that matter). In fact, the main chassis plate 101W and the V2 are interchangeable, but not identical. This I know because I used a 101W chassis on my V2 for a time.

The main differences between the 101W and V2 rear ends is the links on the V2 have only one mounting position, but the TRF101 has multiple mounting position so it can be used as a tuning adjustment.

The other main difference is the rear differential/spur gear assembly which is moved slightly more towards the middle of the rear axle for different balance characteristics.

Switching to the 101W front end, you'll also need wider rear tires to match the wider front track. Or run mis-matched widths if your class allows it.
thanks i think i will buy the trf 101w
__________________
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #1754
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobiski racer View Post
Exotech make 3mm offset wheels. The width is 187 mm. If you use +3 offset put the 104 front end at 190 mm
Thanks Sobiski - what about wheels that are specifically made with this extra offset built-in to give the F104 a track as wide as all the other cars? Is anyone using these?

Thanks!
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #1755
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Sobiski, I have ordered the Exotek wheels - let's see what happens. Dirt buggy season is winding down so it's time to get the F1 ready. I am also thinking of picking up a low-profile shorty battery. Has anyone noticed an improvement in corner speed with these? With the narrow track and tons of grip my car traction-rolled like crazy last year - desperate to avoid a repeat!
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya F104 Pro! NT Electric On-Road 9373 07-14-2017 08:58 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net