R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 AM   #1696
Tech Apprentice

Hi Gents,

I have a TRF101 that I haven't driven yet. Still need some bits and pieces for it. Which options would be preferable if I wish to use the V2 front axle on it?
Also with regards to tyres, which compounds are you guys running? I was planning to run rubber tyres (carpet and sometimes asphalt track) as I have enough work on my 12th with foams and actually would run the F1 as to have a small break from 12th scale from time to time

Thx for the tips,

Niels
Nilezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #1697
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2 View Post
The best mod you can do to improve handling balance is the 3R racing Adjustable Camber mount at half the price of the Exotek system. You can Change camber 0,1,2,or 3 degrees very easily and will fix any front end
handling problem. It is like night and day. See photo attached. Regards
Norman2
The exotek allows camber and caster changes and changes to the upper arm length in combination with an adjustable camber mount. You can tune the front end like a touring car.

Nothing wrong with the 3racing setup but it really only tunes camber.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #1698
Tech Adept

Cool Caster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The exotek allows camber and caster changes and changes to the upper arm length in combination with an adjustable camber mount. You can tune the front end like a touring car.

Nothing wrong with the 3racing setup but it really only tunes camber.
Does anybody know what the stock caster is on the F-104 V2? Need a base line...
tdu verney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #1699
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilezb View Post
Hi Gents,

I have a TRF101 that I haven't driven yet. Still need some bits and pieces for it. Which options would be preferable if I wish to use the V2 front axle on it?
Also with regards to tyres, which compounds are you guys running? I was planning to run rubber tyres (carpet and sometimes asphalt track) as I have enough work on my 12th with foams and actually would run the F1 as to have a small break from 12th scale from time to time

Thx for the tips,

Niels
I'm using RIDE Rubber tires for outdoor tracks (the ones for ETS or BK) and pit Shimizu rubber tires for indoor.
The TRF101 is a great car to drive with rubber tires.
When you are planing on using the RIDE tires then i suggest to use the V2 front suspension.
Cause when using the RIDE tires the ride height is difficult to setup, that's why i'm using a spacer plate to lift the front suspension/servo.
The Pit Shimizu tires are mounted on F104 foam wheels and those wheels have a bigger inner diameter.

Perhaps you could join us at the EPC races that starting september 7th in Roeselare.
The F1 class is with a silvercan motor and rubber tires only, the motor needs to be bought from the organisation on the day of the race and at the end of the race you need to bring it back to the organisation.
It did work great last years races.

If you want more info of the EPC races just send me a PM.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #1700
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a F 104 with a lot of Hop Ups including the Exotek Adjustable front end. Is it going to be competitive or what else would I need possibly to make what I have competitive. I have TCS tires, Kit tires, and Pardus tires. I have the 3 different Types plates, front springs, TRF shock damper.
waltss2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #1701
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltss2k View Post
I have a F 104 with a lot of Hop Ups including the Exotek Adjustable front end. Is it going to be competitive or what else would I need possibly to make what I have competitive. I have TCS tires, Kit tires, and Pardus tires. I have the 3 different Types plates, front springs, TRF shock damper.
Get the option part that has the roll damper included, it saves weight and IMO a better solution to setup roll.
Also get the friction grease from tamiya, they have 3 types: soft, medium and hard.
Some shims are also needed to setup the damper position, droop settings or the ride height at the front.
Perhaps also a carbon rear shaft.
This should get you going and giving you a lot to adjust to get the best setup.

Hope this helps
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #1702
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

For those running a low profile servo, did you find adding spacers under the ball studs to reduce the bump steer was necessary or an improvement?

Timezone I & II | RoseCityScaleRacing | Premier RC Raceway
Photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #1703
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I noticed that the geometry was much better - I didn't think it would make a huge difference adding the spacers but the angle on the tie rods was significantly reduced. I can't quantify the difference in driving as I run my car on carpet.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #1704
Tech Adept

Cool Stock Caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdu verney View Post
Does anybody know what the stock caster is on the F-104 V2? Need a base line...
I checked it, with the help of my new/old and F1 modified M Racing rc-setup.com station, it's 11 deg. I can use this as a baseline when adjusting Exotek adjustable caster. If you like that much caster leave the stock Tamiya arm on the car
Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #1705
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photocycler View Post
For those running a low profile servo, did you find adding spacers under the ball studs to reduce the bump steer was necessary or an improvement?
Generally, I find that less spacers produce more exit steering, to the point where the car becomes unstable. More spacers produces more turn in.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #1706
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

After reading through a third of the posts and not finding an answer, I have decided to ask the following question. What are the advantages and disadvantages of mounting a shorty lipo battery all the way to the rear with electronics in front of it or vice versa with the electronics in the rear and the battery towards the front?

James
dirtybirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #1707
Tech Adept

For me it was balance front to rear
Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #1708
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybirk View Post
After reading through a third of the posts and not finding an answer, I have decided to ask the following question. What are the advantages and disadvantages of mounting a shorty lipo battery all the way to the rear with electronics in front of it or vice versa with the electronics in the rear and the battery towards the front?

James
It's mainly to play with the balance of the cars, especially now that it is rubber tires. With foams, the front tires had a lot of grip so batteries were usually put towards the rears to get better grip for a faster exit out of corners. Now with rubber tires, with the weight more towards the front, it helps with front traction and balance so the car can have a tighter turn in.
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #1709
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am hoping someone is still following this thread, so here it goes. I upgraded to the special damper, but noticed a had a ton of pod sag. I had heard that adding spacers to the inside of the shock shaft to reduce down travel would help. So I added some and was able to greatly reduce the pod sag. The flip side is that due to the reduced down travel, the tension on the spring is huge. Is this the trade off to reducing pod sag, a tensed up spring?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #1710
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknorookie View Post
I am hoping someone is still following this thread, so here it goes. I upgraded to the special damper, but noticed a had a ton of pod sag. I had heard that adding spacers to the inside of the shock shaft to reduce down travel would help. So I added some and was able to greatly reduce the pod sag. The flip side is that due to the reduced down travel, the tension on the spring is huge. Is this the trade off to reducing pod sag, a tensed up spring?
Did you move the front damper mount to its rearward position, per the manual if using the special damper?

Mark
Mark C. USVTA #115 TC4 & TC5, USGT #115 Xray T4 '13
USVTA-F1 #115 F1R & F1R3
Bush River RC, The RUG at King, Ho B Max Raceway
scirocco14 is offline   Reply With Quote