Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End Bell Timing vs FDR Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Default End Bell Timing vs FDR Changes

When running blinky I am wondering if I should run maximum timing on the end bell and find my gearing to reach 160F or lower the FDR and decrease the end bell timing.

Same question with boost. I am running max boost and I am a little under temp. Do I lower my FDR or move the end bell 1 notch up?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always been of the school of gear to the track then add timing for extra performance once geared correctly.

Same for boost. I generally don't use end bell timing with esc boost. Just creates heat
The esc boost is better for your motor because it normally comes in after an rpm range.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For Blinky maximum timing on the motor and gear accordinly

If ur under temp with boost you can try more end bell timing
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I always gear first then add timing. The reasons are simple, if you are undergeared for the track you will hit the rpm limit early and be slow on the straights, if you are overgeared you will have slow drive out of corners. Timing alone is not enough to over come these deficiencies. Once you have the gearing balance right, for drive out of corners and along speed along the straights, then start adding timing for extra performance. As the timing is rammed up, you may need to re-gear again.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM
rai
Tech Regular

When gearing is the first option then what would be the initial setting of the boost timing on the esc? Should.it be left alone first then altered after finding the right gear?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rai
When gearing is the first option then what would be the initial setting of the boost timing on the esc? Should.it be left alone first then altered after finding the right gear?
Whatever way you do it, be consistent in how you approach it. If i am driving a new track for the first time, i start with a very neutral setup and work up from there, for every setting that i have, be that esc, motor or chassis adjustment, start neutral and work from there.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Superkarter
For Blinky maximum timing on the motor and gear accordinly

If ur under temp with boost you can try more end bell timing
Maximum really isn't accurate, some motors have the ability to go too far, in this case you are only making heat and not power. Both Novak and TP can be turned past useful, for TP just under 40 is about as far as you want to go, novak, just a little past the + mark.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I usually ask around and see what other people's experiences are on what the particular motor likes for timing, where it's most efficient. I then use that as a starting point and gear from there. Highly dependent on the track though. For the same track, but a different layout, I usually find a timing that works and just change the gearing from layout to layout.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you over-advance the motor timing, you lose torque, lots of it, like 30%, and you dont gain 30% more RPM so its better to time the motor for power and gear for effect, IMHO.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
rai
Tech Regular

Thanks for the feedback Roger. It has been awhile now until this matter became clearer to me. Thanks.