Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Your opinions on this bit of racing etiquette..... >

Your opinions on this bit of racing etiquette.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

It happened to me in off-road once so just wondering if it's happened to you.

Now I know if a faster driver is coming to lap you, at a time that wont take you both out, move out of the way without running your own car into a wall for example.

but what if......

It's a heat and the grid draw is random and a faster driver is behind you (not lapping) and they said words to the effect of "move aside faster driver coming through" would you let them by?

Because until they lap you if they are behind you then your faster than them so to speak.

Just curious as the first example I see as manners the second I see as capitulation.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hhhhhhmmmm depends how you got that far behind. If i have wallied the setup(way off)and/or are having other trouble I would move aside . if I have been taking my time to get through some traffic and the leader is coming up on you I would make the rear of my car real WIDE. if you are almost a lap down and you think you can hold them off I say go for it. I also somtimes lose concetration and get abit behind and if you almost get lapped because of that I would make it hard for them and do your best to catch them back up

intresting topic...

~Jack
Old 02-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Default Another thought....

what if you let a person coming up to lap you (not just pass you for the first time as in the header) past, do you have the right so to speak if your game comes back on (hope that makes sense) to then try and unlap yourself?
Old 02-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

in any kind of qualifying, if there is a faster car behind me I let them go. Doesn't matter if I started in front of them or not, but I expect the same thing if I start behind a slower car. The mains are all about blocking and passing and such, qualifying is just you trying to put in your best time, not racing.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Another thought....

Originally posted by Mabuchi540
what if you let a person coming up to lap you (not just pass you for the first time as in the header) past, do you have the right so to speak if your game comes back on (hope that makes sense) to then try and unlap yourself?
You can try and unlap yourself but you better make it a clean pass. If you cause a wreck trying to unlap yourself that's a big no-no
Old 02-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Another thought....

yes this does happen. I sometimes make a few boo boo's in the start and/or let the pack go and sort it out and I come through the scraps. and I have been caught and lapped and got my lap back , they stuffed up and i won the race. no matter what the circumstances are you should always try and pass if it can be done.(cleanly)
Old 02-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you talking about grid starts or staggered starts?

If running staggered starts then as soon as any driver (that started behind you) catches you then technically, in terms of race time, they are already in front so you should certainly move out of their way.

I would say that it's also smarter to let them by even in grid starts because if you try and hold them up , your lap times will suffer just as much as theirs.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

If it's qualifying then you let them go by... If it's Racing, well would it be racing if we let every car faster than us pass us??? If he wants to pass you he's going to have to work for it....
Old 02-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

if a faster comes up behind you at ANY time in qualifying then you should (in my opinion it should be a rule) let them pass even if u are on the same lap as them or even laps in front of them

If it is in a race then i.e. finals then if they are on the same lap as you, then it is your job to try and keep them behind you without making any contact. if however a faster car on a different lap than you (more or less) comes up behind you then you should move ou the way at the next possible oppurtunity.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Your opinions on this bit of racing etiquette.....

It happened to me in off-road once so just wondering if it's happened to you.

Now I know if a faster driver is coming to lap you, at a time that wont take you both out, move out of the way without running your own car into a wall for example.

but what if......

It's a heat and the grid draw is random and a faster driver is behind you (not lapping) and they said words to the effect of "move aside faster driver coming through" would you let them by?

Because until they lap you if they are behind you then your faster than them so to speak.

Just curious as the first example I see as manners the second I see as capitulation.

hell no, i will hold my line until the end of the race, u gonna let him win?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depends on whether I feel that driver is on me because they are faster or if I screwed up. If he's faster and chased me down and this is qualifying, by all means I let him go.

True Story:
TCS Nationals in 2000. The guy who qualified 1st or 2nd had a rough start to A3 after winning A1. He chased me down from a straightaway behind. Coming into the infield hes up on me for the first time, I tell him to take the inside and take the spot. I knew he was in it for the overall win, I was not. He ended up catching the front 2 (I was not able to maintain the leaders pace and was losing ground) and took the lead and the overall win. He asked me later why I just let him go, and I told him that while I was racing, I also knew where I was in the overall. I think I finished 5th overall that year, but I earned a lot of respect from other drivers.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it is a qualifying heat and the obvious fast car is behind you it is curtious to move aside, but it is not required to do so. Hold your line, or pick a slightly wider line, if he's faster he can pass you easily. It isn't curtious to make someone move off their line in an unsafe area of the track, so they might as well just pass when it is safe instead of asking you to move.

Holding your line and defending your position are two different things however. You should never block the faster car or try to keep them behind you during qualifying. If it's the main event and you end up ahead of the faster car and your not a lap down, defend your position.

I typically wait until it is easy for me to do so and then I run a slightly wider line and let the guy pass on my inside so they keep a faster lap time. I will usually let the other driver know my intention by saying "going wide, pass in" or something to that effect. I don't want my qualifying times effected because someone else can't pass and has asked me to move off my line so they have an easier time at it. The real fast guys at my track don't bother asking since they fly right by me as long as I stick to my line.

If you cannot hold a line, especially through a turn then you should be curtious and pull aside.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I say exactly what desolas said. I have no problem what so ever letting faster cars through, in heats or mains. Chances are, if you try your hardest to keep him behind you, your gonna take both cars out, just not smart, but that also means not going all the way out to the boards to let them by. If they are faster, they will find a safe place to pass. usually, I will let the faster guy go, and then try to keep up with him to see where I'm missing out around the track.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Gary your my hero..In days past I dont think i would have let anyone past me with out a fight,but now even in the mains if a person is that much faster than i am,(more offten than not..nowdays.. ) I will let them by.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

If it is a pass for position, they shouldn't be saying move over. If the car is trying to put you one lap down, I'd say make it real hard for them unless there's really no way you can compete with that car. This is competition, after all. Just because one car is faster doesn't mean you can't race against him your way.

However, if he's already out you a lap or two off the lead, pull over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.