Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Your opinions on this bit of racing etiquette..... >

Your opinions on this bit of racing etiquette.....

Your opinions on this bit of racing etiquette.....

Old 02-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

The etiquette is well defined.

In a staggered start, you're all racing against the clock, not against each other (even though there are 10 cars on the track). There is nothing to be gained by fighting a faster driver or trying to hold him up - you'll just make yourself slower, and all he needs to do is sit on your tail for the whole race and he'll beat you anyway when you get across the line, and start in front of you on the next round.

With a line start, or a grid start for a final, race to your hearts content, but keep it clean.

When a driver is lapping, he/she should be let by without delay, no question. If you're a lap down, it's not a race for you to be fighting.

If you've had a bad race, and end up a lap down, it's up to you to ask, or make it politely clear on track that you are faster and want to go by. But it's up to the leading driver to let you go. Never take out the leader or try any dirty moves to get by. Just run a better race next time.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If I am being lapped, I let the cars go. It's not like I am going to get a caution to bunch the field and get my lap back.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Depends on whether I feel that driver is on me because they are faster or if I screwed up.
i have to ask; isn't them being faster because you screwed up one in the same?

typically other people are faster than me when i'm screwing up :P
Old 02-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

cementsurfer hit the nail on the head when he said let them go so you can see where you are slower. I race at SoCal in pro mod and whenever someone like kinwald, tosolini, hodapp, or baker are behind me in a race or qualifier I let them go and try to stay with them. This is the way to earn respect and make friends. You don't want to be known by the fast guys as the a**hole that won't get out of the way.Make the fast guys your friends and you will get faster.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I also think that some of driver etiquette depends on the race as well..if you put me into the wall and it took the turn marshall 1 lap to get me..I dont think your going to get by that easy J/K I also think that you should have a "real" estimate of your skill level(something alot of drivers DONT have)The reason why I say this is because at a few of the tracks i race at it never fails that the same "few" guys take out a good portion of the field..every week.. (it's not really funny..sorta)I rate my self as club fast..that puts me in the b to c main at bigger races,I know this and act accordingly,when the fast guys show up if they are right behind me i will give them some room to get by me, and try to follow them for as long as i can.. It does me no good to hold them up,they will get by me,I have tried it both ways and I would rather do it the right way.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by xxxkat
I also think that some of driver etiquette depends on the race as well..if you put me into the wall and it took the turn marshall 1 lap to get me..I dont think your going to get by that easy J/K I also think that you should have a "real" estimate of your skill level(something alot of drivers DONT have)The reason why I say this is because at a few of the tracks i race at it never fails that the same "few" guys take out a good portion of the field..every week.. (it's not really funny..sorta)I rate my self as club fast..that puts me in the b to c main at bigger races,I know this and act accordingly,when the fast guys show up if they are right behind me i will give them some room to get by me, and try to follow them for as long as i can.. It does me no good to hold them up,they will get by me,I have tried it both ways and I would rather do it the right way.
that was awesome man, i think i'm gonna cry

- JB
Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it depends on the situation. In a qualifier you probably would let this person by, then again at most club races you know everyone and its fun to push each other to fast times, but sometimes allowing him by is the best solution. In the mains I think you race your race and hold your line. I think if a leader is a leader he can earn his way around me. If he is lapping me or on a record pace its different, but my whole view changes at bigger races. I let all the faster drivers by, I dont like to be the one slowing them down when Im just trying to keep up.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You can tell the really good drivers, as they will wait for a good opportunity to pass that won't take them or you out. I think the guys one step below the really good guys will try and push a pass and they half the time take you out, or take themselves out. Either way they act frustrated.

I always try and move over for the faster guys. But if we are on the same lap they will have to pass me on their own. Sometimes I get trucks mixed up, sucks when some look the same. I've let slower guys by thinking they were the lead guy. I've also raced with guys who were the leader b/c I thought they were one of the slower trucks that looked like them. A good announcer will let you know whats going on as long as you can hear them.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Its funny because as an offroad racer this was never an issue. Coming to run touring cars everyone believes they are the fast guy. You have no idea how many times I see cars get destroyed because people believe they are faster than someone else. And truthfully its got to be hard to tell in stock touring. If you have 10 guys seperated by 10 seconds after qualifing then everyone feels competeticve. but in reality that 10th guy is going to be a half a second a lap slower. Also the added traction makes people aggressive. When I first came into onroad I used to move over and then when a few of the local fast guys watched the B main they couldnt understand why I didnt drive through the leader ( I was in 2nd) I told them I was just being patient and they laughed and said theres no such thing, you want to win you put your car through theirs when needed.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

In qualifying you should always let the faster car by. You will only slow yourself down.

In the mains you have every right to fight for your position as long as you drive fairly. But, it can be smart to let a faster guy through even if it means giving up a position.

If you think the guy behind is going to pass you eventually (maybe you are 2 mins. into a 5 min. race), letting him by will prevent you from losing time battling with him or getting taken out.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

I agree Rick, I just wanted to give that observation
Old 02-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Default Which is exactly....

Also the added traction makes people aggressive. When I first came into onroad I used to move over and then when a few of the local fast guys watched the B main they couldnt understand why I didnt drive through the leader ( I was in 2nd) I told them I was just being patient and they laughed and said theres no such thing, you want to win you put your car through theirs when needed.
what concerns me now I've decided to give on-road a go after having spent 7 years (85-92) racing off-road and from the on-road races I have observed.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Mal

People who purposely drive through people don't last long at a particular track. Soon they'll have everyone against them or the race announcer simply starts to call stop and go everytime they do it.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

You would tend to think that but these racers have made up the core for the past few years.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Mal

Well ... let those guys try that at a nationals, snowbirds, US indoors or the worlds. Lets see how many friends they make and how many laps they're behind because of the stop and goes. To me that's not being fast, you're just in front because you hacked your way there.

Also, the track owner and race announcer just promote that kind of driving by looking the other way. Not a good way to attract other racers to your track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.