Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever? >

Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It would be almost possible to jam the guts of a gyro into your servo itself, if somebody hasn't done that already....
Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

It's happening:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/content/AVC/
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Still a ways off to be competitive. We don't have sensors fast enough yet to really make this work in a race setting. However I think it is right around the corner and we will see it accepted in racing sometime.

Steve
Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Now that I'm getting older and my reflexes are slowing down (not that they were lightning quick to begin with) I think I can use that!

As with most things that require some skill, there's no substitute for the fundamentals whether it's proper car setup and tire choice for a racing car or using proper settings the shutter speed and f-stop on a camera (I rarely take a picture on full auto).
Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Like it or not traction control is coming. In motorcycle road racing it has completely changed the sport. People dont ride like They did 10 years ago. Now they simply brake, turn, then pin the throttle. The electronics will feed the right amount of power, so throttle is pretty much on or off. May not be a big advantage on say oval where you are full throttle all the time. Steering speed is a huge tuning aid.
I could see where offroad 2wd could see a big advantage. Imagine, going into a corner, then just mashing the throttle with no fear of spinning out. Not saying its a good thing, but we should be planning how to deal with it.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slotracer577
Like it or not traction control is coming. In motorcycle road racing it has completely changed the sport. People dont ride like They did 10 years ago. Now they simply brake, turn, then pin the throttle. The electronics will feed the right amount of power, so throttle is pretty much on or off. May not be a big advantage on say oval where you are full throttle all the time. Steering speed is a huge tuning aid.
I could see where offroad 2wd could see a big advantage. Imagine, going into a corner, then just mashing the throttle with no fear of spinning out. Not saying its a good thing, but we should be planning how to deal with it.
That's easy. We deal with it the same way we have since LRP showed up to a Worlds with it back in the 80s, ban it.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I agree for racing it should be banned. If not only for how it will change the a way we drive making it way too easy to stay in control, but it could make the hobby too complex mixing this with boost and turbo settings. Soon enough, if legal, we will be tuning our cars like real F-1 and LeMans cars. You will need an engineering degree to even begin to understand it.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

I have an engineering degree, so you see why I'm fine with active control aids.
I think this will be a reality before too long and it will be good for the hobby. It will speed up slow drivers much more than good drivers and that means better parity.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
I see them as driving aids.

I say ban it all.
so they should ban brush-less motors,coreless servos,lipo batterys,2.4ghz radios, and dont even talk about Telemetry .all set-up boards , all cars with ARS™ system (xray cars) what else should they band?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would stop racing immediately if my raw driver input (throttle or steering) would be manipulated by an active control system (closed loop control). This would reduce the driver influence on laptimes and thus race turnout.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

In a racing situation, why does people even want to use driving aids anyway?

Part of the fun/challenge is to learn to master the car.

Would it be fun/challenging if you just went full throttle, full steering in each turn and let the electronics do the rest?

Just because it exists doesn't mean that it should be used in any context.

Like in real cars, all kinds of driving aids and safety features exist that may be useful in a family car, but not in a racing car.

In real 1:1 racing many of the driving aids have been tried and some banned, in the end finding a balance of not creating a racing car that could be driven by a monkey, and hence loosing the interest of the fans.

Guess it will be the same in RC racing.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
so they should ban brush-less motors,coreless servos,lipo batterys,2.4ghz radios, and dont even talk about Telemetry .all set-up boards , all cars with ARS™ system (xray cars) what else should they band?
None of the things you've listed are driving aids!
None of them have any influence on the inputs from the drivers to the electronics onboard the car.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Electronic units like seen in MotoGP or LMP1 cars are very complex and hard to get right. I rally doubt it could be done to an extent where it would actually help and not just interfere you’re driving (maybe with a good budget and right people?). As far as I know these electric units have to be set-up correctly for the track conditions, tires, motor (power band, torque) so it would be very hard to do it right to get an advantage rather a disadvantage.

When I read the forum I see most people can’t even handle the ARS me included. So what should they do with such electronic aid?

I don’t fear it could come into RC racing any time soon competitively…
Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mi4cxl
?
i feel like thats an insult & attack why do you attck me? you should be ban
may be if you dont have any input thats worth posting dont post at all

Last edited by DRTMI; 03-05-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Worst87
I would stop racing immediately if my raw driver input (throttle or steering) would be manipulated by an active control system (closed loop control). This would reduce the driver influence on laptimes and thus race turnout.
I would also sell my gear and walk away from the hobby if this came to fruition - and I have the engineering degree to make the most of the technology. I can't even use the "slot car" analogy because even those require some throttle control. To be honest, 4WD on-road cars have too much on-power traction as it is. Thats why I enjoy F1 and Mini, because those require some throttle control (in the case of F1, a LOT of throttle control) to get the most performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.