Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber tires for a Bolink Legends?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default Rubber tires for a Bolink Legends?

So, I got myself this here bolink legends for around $10 (it was in a box of other stuff that cost me $35)
it came with some old electronics, which still work great! (I'm trying to sell the motor, it was one of those Tamiya technigold ones)
but now I've got it with a 35T motor on 2S LiPo, and it is pretty perfect speed and acceleration wise for what i want to do with it (just tool around in parking lots, and set up tight courses on the basketball courts to test my skills)

but, the foam tires it came with were obviously not designed for concrete, they suck pretty hardcore.
the rear gets plenty of forward bite because of their large width, but get no side-bite, so I'm basically just doing doughnuts around the front wheels most of the time.
It's still fun though, and I really want to get some rubber tires for it so I can casually drive on-road, and have enough side-bite to keep it going in a straight line, and take corners without 100% countersteer.

Anyone know of any rubber tires for this kind of car? It looks to take the standard pan-car wheels. Bearings up front, and the 4-screw hubs in the rear.
I'm not really looking for capped tires... I was thinking more like a foam-filled touring car tire, that would also help soak up the bumps in the concrete a bit better.

EDIT: I just did a bit of different research than I was doing before, and I now see that apparently they don't really exist...
What kind of tread-like cuts could I make in the rear to make them have more side bite, but not lose their front-bite?

thanks!
here's some pics, it's the cleanest looking RC I've ever owned lol.
These pics were from the mock-up with the 4-cell NiCd it came with, and the technigold motor.

my partially-trimmed modified body, I'm still trying to think of a paint scheme.

after the swap to 35T and 2S:

and, my sledgehammer body fit, only needing 2 holes in the side

I think i could really enjoy this car if it had some rubber tires on it!

Last edited by User Unrelated; 04-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Make sure that the chassis isn't tweaked. That will cause you to spin around as well. Unfortunately, the lack of suspension is your biggest killer for tooling around in parking lots, as well as the probability that everywhere you are running has dust on the surface. We used to run these back in the day on both banked carpet oval and flat oval. They actually hooked up really well with the stock tires. I'd actually forgo the touring tires and look for a pair of green foams, or the softest that you can find.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)
Default Tires

Got the ticket for you. I have a set of (4) Road Hawgs that were actually used on a Digger a while back. They're in great shape. Will get you some pics. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll get'em out to you.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The motor is mounted on the wrong side. Secondly are the chassis plastic tubes loose or tight? run them loose. third did you blow off the parking lot and put some grape or orange soda down? and did you clean the tires with Go-jo before you ran them?
Were are having a great time here in florida with the Legends!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does it make a huge difference what side the motor is mounted on?

and yeah, the screws are pretty snug, I'll try running them loose next time, see if it makes a difference.
It likes to twist in one direction more than the other, that probably has something to do with it, but it sits perfectly flat on the ground.

And I'm in college, I don't really have the option to go out and "prepare" the lot before I go run for a few minutes to blow off steam lol
and I don't think it'd be very economical for me to go spilling soda all over the place every few days haha.
It'd be pointless to clean the tires, they get all dirty within seconds.
It was drivable, but I couldn't hit the brakes, or apply any power through turns, it might be more me just needing to get used to it... I can feel it though, all it needs is some side bite in the rear and it'll be perfect!

Someone on another forum suggested making my own mock cap tires by wrapping the foams in bike inner tube, if I can find some mighty cheap worn-out tires, I might experiment with that too, I've got plenty of adhesives to choose from, shoe goo would probably work well.

Andy, I sent you a PM!

thanks guys

one other question: anyone know if the front plate is supposed to be tweaked back on either side?
where the king pins attach, it's twisted back, giving me more caster (in the correct direction), nothing too major, but if you look close, you can see it, is that supposed to be like that?

Last edited by User Unrelated; 04-24-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Add a couple ounces of weight around the rear axle, it helps the spinning out problem quite a bit. Also rebuild the diff and polish all the bushings and make sure everything is super free. Adjust the diff only as tight as needed to not slip.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Your motor has most likely fixed timing. This timing is now the wrong way since your motor need to run in opposite direction.

So it does make a difference and the car will likely be a bit faster when you swap the motor and axle.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default ....try reveving the pictured tires.....

....hey User Unrelated, on another page of another forum, it was suggested that foams can be, some what revived to restore [some] grip. Instructions were to rub in sun tan lotion (I've used Coppertone spf 30) into/on the tires. I know this sounds funny but this does work. let them sit for awhile then wipe off any excess. I'm under the impresssion that you're using the tires in your pics; they look like spec racing foam tires so the sun tan lotion should work.
Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

They made road hawgs that would work on 10L wheels back in the day... Most likely what Andy has... those are vintage! I was always too cheap to buy the rears, but I had the fronts that I ran on a 91 Sport...
Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Looks like you can still get parts at RJ Speed too.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I was thinking about buying a new RJ speed digger kit a while back, but couldn't justify the price.

I'll try swapping the motor, I had some reason for doing it, but couldn't remember...
I took the whole car apart to clean it, and must have put the axle back on backwards or something. The diff is set up well, and I really went to town cleaning the bushings. I want to get some new ones for the front wheels, they have a lot of play in them.

I just took it out for another spin, and loosening up the chassis spacers REALLY helped!
It still spins out if I apply a lot of throttle into a tight turn, but that's to be expected.
It's much more enjoyable now, because last time, whenever I'd turn with ANY amount of throttle, it would just spin out.

Next mission is to get some weight on the rear, I've got some ideas, but I want it to look neat and tidy when I'm all done, so I'll think of something.

I'm going to try and get andy's road hawgs, but I want to learn more about them first
we'll see.

and I also saw the suntan lotion trick, I could imagine them getting really caked with dirt, so that might be a bit iffy to try.