R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Newbie..need help for setup

I have just bought a used Hot Bodies Cyclone TC. I will use it for touring (no drifting). How should the diffs be setup? Now the diff is very hard on the backwheels and loose in the front. Isnīt that a typical setup for drifting, or am I wrong? How can I adjust the diffs on this car?
larsen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Tech Elite

A tight rear diff and a loose front diff might be a drifting setup.

For grip racing you will run a free rear diff and a tight front diff (or even a spool in the front).

Refer to the instruction manual for information on rebuilding them, but a few general tips for ball diffs are...
  • Clean the parts thoroughly
  • Use plenty of black grease on the thrust bearing and a smear of silicone ball-diff grease on the main balls
  • Never over-tighten the screw. Initial setting should be hand tight and then backed off 1/4 turn
  • Adjust for feel in the car, 1/8th of a turn at a time. The right starting point is a free movement but not free spinning
  • The diff should not slip in use either. To test, hold one wheel and the spur gear, and try and turn the opposite wheel. It should take a good amount of force before it slips

There is an art to building ball diffs that only experience can provide. So have a go, it might take a few builds to get them right, but it is worth it.

The new oil-filled gear diffs are easier to set up though.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks. Just disassembled and it is ball diffs front and back. Swapped them and tightened the diff on the front wheels even more as said in the manual. How loose should the diff on the back wheels be? Now I can extremely easy rotate in each direction.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Sorry i cant help you with your question but i have one for you. As far as quality goes are you satisfied with the cyclone?? I was thinking about picking one up (for touring not drift) and was wondering about the quality..
Chassis:EXceed Madspeed
Motor:Stock 22T 540 brushed
Electronics:Stock servo/ESC
Tires:HPI T-drift 26mm
Body:HPI 1/10 Gen 2 Mitsubishi Eclipse
GTRdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

I have only tried it once, but seems to be very good quality! I have some option parts, so almost no plastic on this one.