I Need Help With Mvp Motor/battery

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Need Help With Mvp Motor/battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

by the way what are meshes? so my overall gearing should be around 7 or what? because you guys said that 5.92 is too high! i don't get the whole gearing process! i'm a newbie at r/c you know!
Old 07-04-2002, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

mesh is the space between the teeths of ur pinion n spur gear...

it should not b too tight,giving it space for back-lash....and it cannot b too loose also...
Old 07-04-2002, 12:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

i noticed that gearing the MVP to 5.92 makes it goes a lot faster!
what will happen if i go over 6.00? will it be really slow? i was at the socalrc track a few days ago! i saw this guy using the reedy MVP(just like mines) and he told me he geared it right and it was going as fast as this car and the car had a reedy modified motor that was a 10 turn single! is that possible with a stock motor? and if it is then how will i gear my mvp right and have longer run times on my battery and have the motor not get hot!
Old 07-04-2002, 01:53 AM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Are you quite sure your ESC has not gone bad? When I had a problem with my ESC, my 3000's would barely last 5 minutes. The symptoms may not be obvious, but if it's bad, you could be doing damage to your motor and batteries as well, so be careful. See if you can borrow a friend's ESC or see if a friend can try your motor and gear ratio in his car. If he doesn't have the same problem as you, you can isolate the problem to the ESC (you've already eliminated the battery as the source of the problem anyway).
Old 07-04-2002, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

check ESC... trust me ...... it might be the esc ....
Old 07-04-2002, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by PRoYokOmoWaCuR
thank you but i'm not sure about what you guys just said. my friend which is a professional racer says that you should gear your cars right! he said for stock motors, the overall ratio should be close to six but not over it! and for modified motors it should be close to 7 and not over it! and the real problem here is that i don't know why the batteries last only for 5 min! i thought that 3000 batteries with the stock motor should last about 15-20 mintures! is it because the motor is working too hard and that it's using up all the energy in the battery? please reply!
I gotta gear my motors right? If your friend is such a professional driver than why are you asking us? Did you check the mesh(space between the pinion and the spur)???? I'm sure you've taken the motor out so that is probally not helpful anymore. You can't have the pinion and spur fitting too tight or you will overheat the motor! One problem you have is your trying to run 64 pitch gears and you don't know what a mesh is. Did you try a newer motor? Why the hell you bitching and not responding to our helpful suggestions? You think I just take anytime out to type this shyt? If you haven't touched the motor since it got real hot look at the mesh between the pinion and the spur, is their any space between the pinion and the spur? These gears CANNOT fit too tightly nor fit too looselyNow, how about telling me this, or do you not want help.

Last edited by webspinner; 07-04-2002 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by PRoYokOmoWaCuR
my friend which is a professional racer says that you should gear your cars right! he said for stock motors, the overall ratio should be close to six but not over it! and for modified motors it should be close to 7 and not over it!
Well then you need to find a new friend. If he's a professional racer, then why the heck are you asking us?

I hate it when I waste my time on stupid threads.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

First of all, your friend sounds like a professional rc drag racer. Secondly, you will be lucky to get 10 minutes of time even with 3000s and a stock motor.

Third, you do not gear for top speed! You want to have a balance between top speed and acceleration. On a smaller track, you give preference to acceleration and vice versa on a larger track.

Josh
Old 07-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For me, I usually gear a stock motor to almost top-out on the largest of the infield straights. That means on the main straight, it accelerates strong about 2/3 of the way, then barely accelerates from then on. We've got a 116' straight, into a 40-50' sweeper turn. I don't remember how I geared my MVP's when I ran them, but I gear my Hellfire around 7.1:1

PRoYokOmoWaCuR, try going down about 2-3 teeth on your pinion just to see if it helps. Also, make sure your brushes and comm are still good (I'm sure the brushes are junk and comm needs a cut BAD from the sounds of it) also like others have said, DO NOT overtighten your gear mesh. You should be able to wiggle the spur gear back and forth slightly without the pinion moving at all. But don't set it so loose as to strip the spur. I usually get about 6-7mins of runtime in stock, and about 5:30mins in Mod running 3000hv packs.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oh, and to your "pro racer" friend, maybe he can get away with a gearing close to that because he's carrying more corner speed and the motor always stays at a higher rpm. And he said gear at 6:1? 5.92:1's a pretty big difference.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default sorry gosh!

man i wasn't trying to piss any one off! my friend doesn't live near me! and so i barely get to ask him things! i can call but he's never home that's why i decided to post a thread! the last time i saw him he told me about gearing it close to six and that was like 3 months ago! and i am really busy so i don't really have time to go on my computer! so sorry i don't respond! and i tried everything! it's not the esc and it's not the battery! it's the gearing! i got to go lower a few teeths! thank you for all who helped! and i don't appreciate people cussing at me! i'm with southsiders so don't mess with me!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

This forum only works if the person who asked the Q reply's with answers on whether the suggestions helped or not. If we recieve no reply's it means we are waisting our time. Lastly have you try a pinion with lower teeth yet and set the gear mesh correctly? If you car is still playing up after that I suggest you try the other suggestions before you reply.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-05-2002 at 10:33 AM.