Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rules for the upcoming IFMAR Touring Car championship

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As I read it, you have to use each of your two sets in the two controlled practice rounds, a new set in one and the other new set in the second. What if some drivers decide to go out and break the car in the first turn both practice qualifiers? Then he would have essentially two brand new sets to run in the actual qualifiers.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

For those hoping for "change" not likely:

1.10.2 No change to the rules or homologations will be permitted within four (4) months of a
World Championship event, irrespective of the Section. Any rule changes (due to blatant
errors, unforeseen circumstances or urgent matters) during the period of four (4) months
prior to the event may be made with a unanimous vote of the voting member Blocs.

Where are the rules stating requirements for qualification? I remember hearing if you are in the top 10 at a ROAR national event, does it have to be in the same class your are racing at the worlds?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
Marc Rheinard this is stupid stuff ...
Marcel Pinkster ‎2april joke:-)
Phil Hoggart nope it is real , how can this work and only 3 sets of tyres for the whole worlds HAHAHAHAHA
Marc Rheinard actually its the truth and no april-joke !
Maybe the reasons are far away from the top drivers concerns.
Don't get me wrong, I don't say it's fantastic rules, but I am a bit surprised that after two pages on this thread, nobody has thought that it could, for example, push tires brand to produce tire that are good for lots of runs, and this without any additive, and that this can help getting more and more drivers running in official races.

If you know different kind of people running touring car, you will find that at the opposite of top drivers, there are people who have all to starts racing, but don't make official races mainly because of the tire additive/tire warmer, mainly tire additive, and also because tire won't last.

Maybe IFMAR is trying to made big changes to get more people in racing, and if that's the case, you can't say it's not a good idea.
If the class is simpler, more people will race all around the world, and everybody benefits from that.

I know it's the Worlds, and everybody would like to want it to fast, but as long as every drivers have all the same options, it should be a good race.

Now, you have to hope that the conditions are tested, and that it will be the same when the event starts. It's the only thing that can create a big problem.
I already saw some rubber tires being very fast without any additive, maybe needing to be warmed in order to be good since the first lap (that's why I thought they would keep tire warmers), but it was in some specific conditions. Can they be sure that they will have these kind of conditions ?.. I have some doubts.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

http://www.p1brand.com/tires-2012-ifmar-itsc-worlds
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If sorex 36 are the spec tire, my only question would be, can I re-glue them after each run or after 2 runs at least? They tend to stretch and tear near the glue seam and if not re-glued will start handling strange, especially mid corner. Most other brands of tires don't seem to have this problem, but most don't grip as well as sorex grip. If they don't allow them to even be re-glued in front of tech, then something like Jaco Blues might be a better choice for the spec tire. I would hope re-gluing would be allowed though.

I really like high traction, but as long as everyone has the same grip, then it doesn't really matter if traction levels are lower. I'm sure the racing will still be great.

Not likely I'm ever going to be at Worlds event anyway. Certainly not the upcoming one, so it doesn't affect me or most others here directly, but other races may start adopting these sorts of rules, so it is of interest.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
As I read it, you have to use each of your two sets in the two controlled practice rounds, a new set in one and the other new set in the second. What if some drivers decide to go out and break the car in the first turn both practice qualifiers? Then he would have essentially two brand new sets to run in the actual qualifiers.
Heats are generally set using results from the controlled practice rounds. This could be either set by overall time or three fastest consecutive laps from either session. If a fast guy were to really break in the first turn of both he risks being in a heat full of slower drivers and when the track is not in prime condition (early heats of the day for example).
Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Heats are generally set using results from the controlled practice rounds. This could be either set by overall time or three fastest consecutive laps from either session. If a fast guy were to really break in the first turn of both he risks being in a heat full of slower drivers and when the track is not in prime condition (early heats of the day for example).
OK, then go out and put a good one, then break the car (or just pull off and claim a problem) for the next one and have 1 new set for qualy.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have run on un prepared tracks with no additives for many years. It is not difficult, it is not the end of the world, the best drivers will still rise to the top.
It is really not an issue.
At last years Australian Nationals I tried all sorts of additive and heating options but in the end went back to no additives and just a small amount of heating.
The car was just better with no additives, and before anybody says what does this guy know. I have raced at 3 worlds so do have a little bit of experience.
Do we really want to keep using unknown chemicals every week with the unknown health effects that may not kick in until we are 40-50 years old?
I personally think a ban on all additives worldwide would be a good thing.
More of an issue is that they may very well be running on tires for up to 6 runs. I see the possibility of some drivers just about running on the belts inside the tires by then.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude, every bottle of that sauce has well-known solvents in it, stuff like Oil of Wintergreen, AKA methyl salicylate, which among other things is used as food flavoring, antiseptic, Listerine mouthwash, stuff like that. The rest of it is well-known solvents like toluene, white spirits, most of this stuff is classified as an irritant. Stop making things up, there is nothing about using tire traction compound that just kills after 20 years or so because I know more than a few racers who if that was the case would be long dead. Just don't drink it or leave it on your hands and if you think your indoor track needs a less-irritating solvent switch to a less aggressive set.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Dude, every bottle of that sauce has well-known solvents in it, stuff like Oil of Wintergreen, AKA methyl salicylate, which among other things is used as food flavoring, antiseptic, Listerine mouthwash, stuff like that.
I've often wondered if Paragon could be substitued with Listerine - the two products smell identical.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Dude, every bottle of that sauce has well-known solvents in it, stuff like Oil of Wintergreen, AKA methyl salicylate, which among other things is used as food flavoring, antiseptic, Listerine mouthwash, stuff like that. The rest of it is well-known solvents like toluene, white spirits, most of this stuff is classified as an irritant. Stop making things up, there is nothing about using tire traction compound that just kills after 20 years or so because I know more than a few racers who if that was the case would be long dead. Just don't drink it or leave it on your hands and if you think your indoor track needs a less-irritating solvent switch to a less aggressive set.
So you're saying that the shot of Paragon I take each morning could be detrimental to my health?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Toluene is a known carcinogen just so you know :P
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

I must say that at first i was shocked at the new tire rules, i mean you traveling half way round the world (for me) to go and race what could be an endurance type race .......... but after really thinking about it and quite a bit of testing already, its actually not a bad thing, as I live so far away, there is no way i could go and test, try different additives or combinations of additives heating times etc etc the variables here are endless, so these new rules effectively help to level the playing field somewhat, I do agree that the cream of the crop will still rise to the top but the margins i think will be less, In our testing we can easily get 6 runs on a set of tires with only a few tenths drop in times, the control tires (sorex36) will last many more runs than required at worlds

Limiting the tires is also not a bad thing as now you cant setup your car to the limit of the traction and just slap on a new set every run, its now a balance of performance versus tire management which every one can do ! agreed some will be better at it then others. (new skill to learn)

This will be my first worlds and am really looking forward to bumping shoulders with the guys i have only seen on vid's. so in summation, if its the same for everyone, it will still make for great racing ! and I cant wait !!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redzone
Toluene is a known carcinogen just so you know :P
Pour 5 gallons of just about anything down an 8 ounce rats throat and it's bound to come down with something......just so you know
Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I personally can't wait for this.... Yeah buddy!! 1st worlds for me, should be an experience...
If the track is prepped right and the temp is right should be all good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.