Wiki Posts
Search

New rules for the upcoming IFMAR Touring Car championship

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Pour 5 gallons of just about anything down an 8 ounce rats throat and it's bound to come down with something......just so you know
+1....., but only in the state of California.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

I think its going to be a great Worlds.

I'm also in favour of banning additives. I made a decision to not run additive, (It makes my skin irritable) and after tuning my car it works fine. I regularly get the fastest lap at our club.

A new comer will see all of this witch-craft with people putting chemicals on their tyres and it just looks odd, What form of motorsport ever does something so ridiculous? I think it is really strange and I've been racing for 20 years, so no doubt it confuses beginners.

Controlled tyres, with no additive is the best way for the sport. Tyre strategy will become important, like most motorsports, and will make it much easier for newcomers to come to the sport and enjoy racing.

F1 the pinnacle of motorsport uses control tyres, why cant we just do it?

Last edited by Qatmix; 04-19-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redzone
Toluene is a known carcinogen just so you know :P
Toluene is, however, much less toxic than benzene, and has, as a consequence, largely replaced it as an aromatic solvent in chemical preparation. For example, benzene is a known carcinogen, whereas toluene has very little carcinogenic potential
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lionel S
I personally can't wait for this.... Yeah buddy!! 1st worlds for me, should be an experience...
If the track is prepped right and the temp is right should be all good
As far as i know speaking with the guys at the track there will be no track prep
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Dude, every bottle of that sauce has well-known solvents in it, stuff like Oil of Wintergreen, AKA methyl salicylate, which among other things is used as food flavoring, antiseptic, Listerine mouthwash, stuff like that. The rest of it is well-known solvents like toluene, white spirits, most of this stuff is classified as an irritant. Stop making things up, there is nothing about using tire traction compound that just kills after 20 years or so because I know more than a few racers who if that was the case would be long dead. Just don't drink it or leave it on your hands and if you think your indoor track needs a less-irritating solvent switch to a less aggressive set.
The nasty stuff is the stuff that isn't sold to consumers as tire prep.

Originally Posted by SlideMasteR
I must say that at first i was shocked at the new tire rules, i mean you traveling half way round the world (for me) to go and race what could be an endurance type race .......... but after really thinking about it and quite a bit of testing already, its actually not a bad thing, as I live so far away, there is no way i could go and test, try different additives or combinations of additives heating times etc etc the variables here are endless, so these new rules effectively help to level the playing field somewhat, I do agree that the cream of the crop will still rise to the top but the margins i think will be less, In our testing we can easily get 6 runs on a set of tires with only a few tenths drop in times, the control tires (sorex36) will last many more runs than required at worlds

Limiting the tires is also not a bad thing as now you cant setup your car to the limit of the traction and just slap on a new set every run, its now a balance of performance versus tire management which every one can do ! agreed some will be better at it then others. (new skill to learn)

This will be my first worlds and am really looking forward to bumping shoulders with the guys i have only seen on vid's. so in summation, if its the same for everyone, it will still make for great racing ! and I cant wait !!!!!
Originally Posted by Lionel S
I personally can't wait for this.... Yeah buddy!! 1st worlds for me, should be an experience...
If the track is prepped right and the temp is right should be all good
Originally Posted by Qatmix
I think its going to be a great Worlds.

I'm also in favour of banning additives. I made a decision to not run additive, (It makes my skin irritable) and after tuning my car it works fine. I regularly get the fastest lap at our club.

A new comer will see all of this witch-craft with people putting chemicals on their tyres and it just looks odd, What form of motorsport ever does something so ridiculous? I think it is really strange and I've been racing for 20 years, so no doubt it confuses beginners.

Controlled tyres, with no additive is the best way for the sport. Tyre strategy will become important, like most motorsports, and will make it much easier for newcomers to come to the sport and enjoy racing.

F1 the pinnacle of motorsport uses control tyres, why cant we just do it?
Good attitudes. You guys will have a great time!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
A new comer will see all of this witch-craft with people putting chemicals on their tyres and it just looks odd, What form of motorsport ever does something so ridiculous?
Every form of motorsports where someone thinks they can get away with it. I have seen some very elaborate soaking set-ups for the local NASCAR oval track. Illegal of course but that doesn't stop them. Tracks go to handout tires purchased and mounted at the track, no problem. Just put a bunch of inside sauce in the air bottle. It's very common in kart racing. Even F1 teams have been accused of doing it.