Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts >

Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts

Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts

Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"ETS is not all that cheap really. Entry is 55 Euro, Speedo if you dont have one is 49 Euro and motor is 50 Euro. Tires are included in the Entry for one set (limit for quals) Add it all up if you have nothing and your close to my 150 Estimate. If you already have the speedo then your well below it.

Note: Speedo rental is 15 Euro and motor rental is 10 Euro if you are only running one series race or dont want to buy it."

This is the general price range then...

150.00 EUR = 196.82 USD
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
"ETS is not all that cheap really. Entry is 55 Euro, Speedo if you dont have one is 49 Euro and motor is 50 Euro. Tires are included in the Entry for one set (limit for quals) Add it all up if you have nothing and your close to my 150 Estimate. If you already have the speedo then your well below it.

Note: Speedo rental is 15 Euro and motor rental is 10 Euro if you are only running one series race or dont want to buy it."

This is the general price range then...

150.00 EUR = 196.82 USD
Yes if you buy everything. So next series race is 55 Euro with a set of tires. So if you race all 6 races and average it out its a bargain!

EA
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

spread the "buy in" cost for the entire series and it isn't that bad... but for those that don't want to buy in

the cost of rental for one race would be :

25 euro = $33 US dollars.

Thats a fair bit less than what it really costs for most to ensure their power plant is competitive.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
spread the "buy in" cost for the entire series and it isn't that bad... but for those that don't want to buy in

the cost of rental for one race would be :

25 euro = $33 US dollars.

Thats a fair bit less than what it really costs for most to ensure their power plant is competitive.
Bingo!

EA
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

ok I have read this thread and now putting thought to keyboard...I run strictly 1/12th...we here in the Midwest switched to Blinky right after Cleveland 2011. Couldn’t wait to give up the boosted esc's. Our racing in 1/12th increased and overall easiness to setting up motor /esc was so much nicer.

We run blinky 1/12th 17.5. I have used the following esc,s...Novak havoc 1s, Lrp Tc spec v2, Hobbywing 1s, Novak Havoc pro sc, Tekin rs, &Advance Black diamond.

The entire above esc's in Blinky modes are so close. I usually came down to whether or not the esc had a built in booster. I have run so many races with my Novak 1s Havoc (discontinued). This esc is my cheapest and runs as good as any of my $200.esc's.

For all the above esc's I have used my biggest gains have come from what motor I am currently racing. So with that in mind I like being able to run different esc's as long as it has a blinky mode and can be verified to being legal(roar).. I usually feel better if you can't upgrade the software and all programing is fixed to whatever you can do on the esc with no computer.

I would also be a favor to a locked motor for timing and sealed. I do not think it’s fair if people are able to hand wind motors at National races in spec classes to get the best motor possible to go through tech. It should be the luck of the hand out motor...not how close you can get to the tolerance at the race track.
So my preference is blinky mode with esc that you can’t change except the programing you can do on the esc and fixed timing motor.
At a National race I am in favor to hand out esc & motor for spec racing. In Mod I am in favor to “No Boost”..cars in 1/12th are so fast…maybe even a motor limit as well to 4.5 and above…

Great thread. Keep up the good work EA & All..
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

EA,
personally i like the idea and having a better car count in the class. If you look at the ROAR paved nats 2011 at Jackson here are results from the top 3 in A1 in blinky 17.5, blinky 13.5 and mod

17.5 Blinky A1
Scooby 23 6:11.67 15.75
Cuffs 23 6:11.95 15.78
DJ 23 6:12.74 15.80

13.5 Blinky
Hohwart 24 6:06 14.9
Tessman 24 6:08 15.1
Herbert 24 6:08 15.0

Mod
Lemiuex 25 6:06.3 14.6
Hohwart 25 6:06.7 14.59
Tessman 25 6:09.7 14.65

Hot laps in mod are only about 1 second faster then blinky 17.5 and 2 laps better over the 6 min run. I think that this shows with todays technology 17.5 blinky is prob enough for the common racer to have fun with and still allow the better drivers to race. Faster doesn't always mean better racing. Then maybe for club races you get 20 plus cars in a class, instead of 7 guys running blinky 17.5, 6 guys running 17.5 boost etc. One of the local clubs just ran 17.5 blinky for their indoor season and then have 70 plus cars every sunday, maybe something in their program is working and others should follow . . .
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

I'm betting a locked timing (near zero timing ) 13.5 is roughly the same speed as the current adjustable timing 17.5 ( when timing is at its optimum , usually near max ).
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yes if you buy everything. So next series race is 55 Euro with a set of tires. So if you race all 6 races and average it out its a bargain!

EA
I don't have a problem with the price at all..just wanted to get it into USD

If you figure it's basically good for a year at a minumum, not bad at all..
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

"Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
If total lockdown occurs, i.e. motor/esc
Will more career stock drivers move up to a middle class, and possibly participate in mod occasionaly ?

That would be a win win
Originally Posted by hanulec
ouch...
Hey I just want to see more good drivers in 12th mod
Stock is fun too
Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

honestly,
if a manufacturer didn't come along and GIVE ( 100% sponsor ) the hardware for the first year of a handout esc/motor for a High profile National race series, I'd be questioning their business sense. The trickle down from being "first to market" would be a substantial windfall at the club level for the company that is willing to make the initial investment.

( and I'd even race it if Daffy Duck was calling the races )
is it far fetched to think these races (Snowbirds, Cleveland etc ) could incorporate a spec handout esc/motor combo for ONE TC class, say 13.5 ?
Not far fetched at all........especially if there were manufacturer support.....
Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

A rental motor or esc seems nice but you can get a faulty esc or motor and then it is right at the back of the line when it fails in the qualifications.

I personaly spoke with someone who got just that during an ETS. It is then a waste of expense, hotel, travel etc etc. He was very clear what he thought about that.

Don't make a mistake of comparing an ETS to a national. ETS is doing great with nice turnouts because, low pricing, marketing, sponsord high class drivers etc etc. Electronics that cost you 30% less then in the stores? Who would not want to go there if you run TC.

It makes it into a well organised event. Get a handfull of drivers from each country together with a large portion of drivers from the host country and it's neighbours and you get a big turnout

As a comparisson our 1/10 electric nationals with 3 classes looks more like a clubrace then a high standard national series when you look at the participants.

The funny part is that the onroad 1/8 nitro is the biggest class here with over 52 entries per national race. And they only have 1 class... They even have to send drivers away because it is full. So it seems cost has nothing to do with turnouts, the perceived value is. The perceived value for an ETS is high becouse of all the things mentioned above.

The moral is you can't compare an ETS oiled marketing machine with a national or any other local event that is run by volunteers with hardly to no money, no sponsors and no high class sponsord drivers and no coverage.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 04-19-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

2wdrive,

You bring up some valid points of warning when comparing the ETS and other race series. Scotty does an amazing job bringing in the talent and organizing a great event for all. However, if we look at merely retaining existing racers and temporarily forget about growth, my guess is many racers would agree with EA, that our racing experience/enjoyment would be better and less expensive if we had at least one TC class that had a power plant that was inexpensive and as fast as anyone else has. The perception of a level playing field is significant, IMHO.

I think the biggest worry about a change like this is the transition period. 17.5 TC is going strong, so IMHO, a "new" class would have to gradually be adopted over a few seasons while leaving 17.5 blinky alone. Often, even at "my" local club, the emphasis is on bringing in new racers, but without enough concern about retaining racers.

As far as electronic failure rate, well, I think the worst and best of us have had some sort of electrical issue taking us out of a race. I believe he most recent high profile casualty was the man himself Ronald Volker, but maybe the was the bloke you talked to. ( yes, just a joke )

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 04-19-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cookie1
I do not think it’s fair if people are able to hand wind motors at National races in spec classes to get the best motor possible to go through tech.
+100000000000000000000000000
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I believe he most recent high profile casualty was the man himself Ronald Volker, but maybe he was the bloke you talked to.

Jake D.
I am assuming you are just joking around, but for the sake of clarity it wouldn't have been Volker; the Spec ESC and Motor are only for the Super Stock class at ETS afaik.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
I am assuming you are just joking around, but for the sake of clarity it wouldn't have been Volker; the Spec ESC and Motor are only for the Super Stock class at ETS afaik.
Yes, I was joking, merely making the point that electrical failures happen to everyone and it ruins a race weekend, no matter a pro with the best gear or the semi-pro or novice with handout electronics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.