Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Does anyone still run FM on their radios? >

Does anyone still run FM on their radios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone still run FM on their radios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Just picked up an Airtronics 27mhz FM synth module for the M8/M11 for $7.99. Found a 4 channel Airtronics micro 27mhz FM receiver for $11.99. Hopefully my old receiver crystals are still in good shape.

I also have several Hitec DCX receiver and crystals that were worthless in the FS forum. Good thing they never sold. I guess I'll give those a try also.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I feel ya' still running a FM M8 and the whining and moaning about the antennae get's old . I guess if I make the leap it will be to a MT-4, with the current special they are running on them. I do like the old M8 with 27fm though, just feels "right", nothing artificial about it. I tried Spektrum when it first came out on the radio and the feel was horrible.
I'm also about the only person left in Australia (it seems) running Sticks. so when someone complains about the antenna. I usually respond with, "What I hate is people who have wheel radios that hold them a foot in front of their face - an antenna I can see thorough, a whole radio is a problem!"
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got into RC about 5 years ago with a second hand Multiplex / FM receiver that used crystals. Then I discovered the Novak Xxtra Synthesized 75mhz Receiver. Upgraded to a 3pk a few years later and have been using them both since. Got envious of the 2.4ghz guys with their receivers with a little antenna and decided to try to go with a super compact antenna layout and it worked. I have 15 of these receivers and use them in all my cars this way from onroad and even offroad compacted in the battery compartment of the RC8T with no problem! I ‘rarely’ glitch but I think that most likely comes from wires too close together in the car. I’ve run tekin, speedpassion, LRP speedos with no problems and even SAVOX receivers with no problem where some people with their fancy 2.4ghz do.

I picked up an extra long antenna for the radio that was in the clearout bin at the LHS that’s about a foot longer than the regular black replacement antenna but since I threw the package away, I don’t know the part number to this. Anyone?

I am last of a few that run FM at our local onroad/offroad clubs and still get ridicule regularly. Oh well.

Ivan
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone still run FM on their radios?-.jpg   Does anyone still run FM on their radios?-b.jpg   Does anyone still run FM on their radios?-c.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

Just setup one of my TCs with an old Hitec 27mhz FM receiver and my new $7.99 synth module. Feels great other than having to deal with the longer antenna and the larger receiver.

I originally gave up on my M11 because it felt sluggish but I realized now it was the Spektrum module. Glad to know it was just the modulation and not the radio. I just picked up an FHSS-2 for the M11 and I'll do a comparison between that and 27mhz on my 1/12 in couple of weeks and see which "feels" better.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

running FM is rude now :P Get a spread spectrum and stop trying to mess up other peoples runs with your antiquated crud
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayjay283
running FM is rude now :P Get a spread spectrum and stop trying to mess up other peoples runs with your antiquated crud
Really? I was just reading some latency tests on a wide range of aircraft radios and the fastest one was not a spread spectrum system, it was a 15 year old airtronics FM system. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any independent tests on car systems.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok fhss 3 the point is your crystals and general old crap mess up others runs
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayjay283
ok fhss 3 the point is your crystals and general old crap mess up others runs
BS. Get over it
Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

There always seems to be a BS troll on every thread.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
There always seems to be a BS troll on every thread.
And we can end this thread on that note