R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #1021
Tech Regular

Very good review, agree with almost all of it.

After reading what you said, I found I'd used the open ball cups at the hub by accident, but as you say you changed them I'll leave it

One thing, I did feel the need to ream the hinge pin holes. The outer pins were fairly tight on the pin but really I don't think it'd be a huge problem because it was clamping the pin in the centre, not binding it along its length if that makes sense.

Really on the build quality, I just thought it was something everybody said. Maybe because it's a new chassis to market and they've made a good first effort. But no, it really is second to none. I've been blown away by the quality and how free everything can move with so little slop.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1022
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonetog View Post
Very good review, agree with almost all of it.

After reading what you said, I found I'd used the open ball cups at the hub by accident, but as you say you changed them I'll leave it

One thing, I did feel the need to ream the hinge pin holes. The outer pins were fairly tight on the pin but really I don't think it'd be a huge problem because it was clamping the pin in the centre, not binding it along its length if that makes sense.

Really on the build quality, I just thought it was something everybody said. Maybe because it's a new chassis to market and they've made a good first effort. But no, it really is second to none. I've been blown away by the quality and how free everything can move with so little slop.
Thanks Cyclone.

The only thing I could come up with regarding the (Closed Type Ball Ends), the manufacture was wanting the insurance of a more "captured" ball type to prevent the camber link from popping off in the event of a tap/collision. But the (Open type) is strong enough also grants you a free moving suspension and steering.

I noticed the arm mounts were little tight as well which is why I went with a .75mm shim opposed to a 1mm shim. Once again this will allow the entire suspension to move freely without needing to ream the pin holes on the arms. This fitment will give you similar tuning abilities, (less .25mm) wheelbase adjustment but the benefits outweigh the small tuning loss.

To have a free flowing, fast platform there needs to be "some" slop or some free play but not excessive like some of the other kits out there. ARC has done extremely well manufacturing this chassis and for the price point, finding a better kit is going to be a hard case. I'm proud to represent this chassis

Last edited by NEED-MORE-SPEED; 04-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.
NEED-MORE-SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #1023
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default quality

i have to agree with both marc & cyclone on the quality points

over the years i have built a lot of cars & by far the best imo was the 07 xray
for quality untill now, the arc is equal to if not better than the 07 xray & bearing in mind at the time it was a $600.00+ car here in australia

so cudos to arc for producing an excellent kit, keep up the good workmanship

marc also great review good to get feedback from team drivers

graham
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #1024
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED View Post
Must say I’m having a great time with the 2013 ARC R10 and I'm already looking forward to this coming weekend. This past week also the weekend was full of excitement regarding the build and also the anticipation getting to the track. There were ups and downs learning a new chassis on the track and to make clarification the "downs" was purely an error from my part and not the chassis (building error)

The build went smooth (so I thought) and was impressed with the quality coming from an Xray T4'14. There aren’t any comparison apples/apples here. The 2013 R10 has its own unique character, quality also fit/finish which IMO separates this platform from the rest. I did make a critical mistake on the initial build and didn’t catch this until the evening of the cars first shake down. I did make the mistake, building the spool incorrectly and running the car first time out with the front pulley 4mm out of line. This made for an interesting first day out with the car, I did however find a set up that was “OK” with the drivetrain not working properly and was on pace with my T4’14. The entire day I was negligent of the front spool pulley not running 100% true with the lay shaft pulley until that evening when I went through the car for the following morning. At the point I discovered my error, fixed my mishap and was congratulated with a drivetrain that was super smooth and IMO, a better drivetrain than my Xray T4’14. I also come to realize that entire day, shaking the car down and struggling with a set-up, the wacked out drivetrain was tweaking the car to the point of, finding a good set-up wasn’t going to happen.

Fit/Finish - I'm going to be brutally honest here. The composites are top notch and there is very little play/slop once fitted together if none at all. Nothing on the composites has excessive play, however just enough to keep all the composite parts moving freely (Arms, Rear Uprights, Caster Blocks, Steering Knuckles) all meshes well together, very good fitting. The silver/chrome finish of the aluminum material looks extremely well and feels light weight once placed in your hand. The silver/chrome finish makes it very easy to add your own look by adding your choice of colored aluminum shims, giving your car that personal character and looking good at the same time.

Quality – There is nothing about this chassis that screams half @ss. The developers on this product has clearly done their homework and put together a superior kit, everything just works and works well. For the price point at the low $400.00 range, there just isn’t anything to complain about. Keep in mind this is a race car, “so out of the box”, with “all” race kits I’ve experienced there isn’t one manufacture (I’ve tested) that does it perfect. There always seems to be some minor tweaks and some cases a lot of tweaks to get a consistent race car. In this case very minor and I’ll explain below, but for the ARC there was minor changes with the build “per” manual I’ve done making this car a fierce competitor. But with all kits the performance is during the initial build.

• Per Manual & Kit – The kit provides you with two types of Ball Joints for the turnbuckles and Camber Links (Open & Closed). I found the (4) “Closed” type Ball Joints, the manual wants you to use on the outer position camber links, doesn’t allow the steering knuckles, rear uprights and overall suspension to move 100% freely. This was an easy fix using some spare (ARC Open) type Ball Joints in replacement making for, 100% free moving camber links. I’m sure within time the Closed type would free up, I even squeezed the Ball Joints with pliers, which did help but wasn’t to my satisfaction.

• Arm Mount Spacing (Wheel Base) – The kit provides you with 1MM & 2MM plastic spacers to shorten/lengthen the wheelbase of your racer. The manual for initial set-up is using 1mm for the FF/FR – RF/RR for a total of (8) 1MM shims used. I did use the following shims provided and found the arms are a snug fit between the arm mounts, but the arms still moved freely. However in the event of tapping a board the right way, you run the risk of the arms tightening up making for an inconsistent race car. I did replace all (8) 1mm plastic shims with (4) 1mm aluminum and (4) .75mm aluminum shims. This gave all suspension arms “.10mm”play, almost zero slop tolerance, also adding the insurance needed of100% no binding issues in the event of a tap. More importantly 100% free moving, no slop and a non-binding suspension.

Durability - No complaints at all, tough little race car

The very next morning I hit the track after a long evening rebuilding my racer, discovering the front pulley not running properly, tweaking the wheelbase spacing, replacing the closed type ball joints with the open type and going through the entire car after a first day of learning the car. My results were impressive, considering this was my 2nd time out with the car, but in all honestly was the cars first time out with how the chassis actually performs due to the front pulley being out of line, the chassis didn’t have a fair shot of showing it’s abilities from my negligence.

Once on the track the car was very easy to drive and shot out of the turns like a bullet, carries more corner speed than any other kit I’ve tested and has more steering than you could ever ask for. What I found interesting about ARC, the car responds very well to adjustments (adding or removing a 1MM shim for more/less camber gain) does reflect lap times for better or worse. So finding a setup for track conditions doesn’t seem to be an ongoing battle as track conditions change. During practice, prior to the first qualifier I was consistently turning more fast laps and also turned my new HOT lap only 3 others have got down too. Fellow racers at the track blamed me turning faster times because you always go faster with a new build”, I’m calling there bluff lol.

Needless to say the first qualifier with the car was amazing and 4 minutes in, I was killing my previous times by 4 seconds until a smashed square into the chicane, exploding a suspension arm. This same chicane I smashed into with my T4’14 and broke a Steering knuckle and Caster Block. This same chicane I’ve witnessed other cars fall apart upon impact as well so it’s not a durability issue at all (I think it’s something to do with the 50 pound sand bag directly behind the board). The bummer of it all, since the impact was so hard I had some “bad luck” the rest of the day as the car just wasn’t the same. As the day went on and continued my wrenching, the car got better but wasn’t the same prior to making that impact. The end result was Qualified 4th and finished 3rd

I already went through the car to investigate why the car wasn’t the same after its introduction to the chicane and found a bent sock shaft when replacing the shock fluid.

Now I have a good handle on what this car likes and doesn’t. This weekend coming will be another 2 day testing on two different carpet tracks running 17.5 and can make the necessary adjustments getting this car dialed and showing much better results than the first weekend out.

You always go faster with a new build....
-signed, everyone who has ever done a new build.

Car looked decent!.... see you sunday
Sir Loin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #1025
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
i have to agree with both marc & cyclone on the quality points

over the years i have built a lot of cars & by far the best imo was the 07 xray
for quality untill now, the arc is equal to if not better than the 07 xray & bearing in mind at the time it was a $600.00+ car here in australia

so cudos to arc for producing an excellent kit, keep up the good workmanship

marc also great review good to get feedback from team drivers

graham
Thanks Graham

I'll keep posting results as I have more time with the car. I'll have another two day weekend coming up (Sat. & Sun.)... Looking forward for this coming weekend as I'll be traveling little north on Saturday to test on low/medium bite carpet then coming back to run on High bite carpet on Sunday. I may even get to the track this Wednesday to sneak in 5 - 6 hours
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #1026
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
You always go faster with a new build....
-signed, everyone who has ever done a new build.

Car looked decent!.... see you sunday
I'm sure decent your meaning decent enough to finish 3rd right But I agree, unfortunately for me bad luck on the cars first race day. Looking for a better outcome this Sunday. See you there
Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #1027
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Practicing in preparation for this weekends regional meet here in Socal. Track is a small low to med grip carpet track with a controlled tire(sweep QTS 32). The car handled FANTASTIC topping the time sheet in free practice. The tires are quite good. consistent through out the run and doesn't drop off in times even after 15 packs.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #1028
Tech Adept

Default Update!!

Had good results this weekend for only having the car out on it's second weekend. The turn out was little lighter than normal but had a handful of fast guys to still make things very interesting also anyone's race. More importantly I had my previous times to race against.

Found a good setup for high bite carpet getting the car really close, still about 2 tenths away from the cars potential out the box, but it's very close, just have to find it. Right now the car is very predictable (does the same thing every time), the rear is rotating just a tic faster than I want but is fast and consistent...

Now that I'm settled in with a new chassis and had more time with the car. I have to say I'm very impressed with the performance and durability, as I have destroyed my previous best qualifying run with the recently retired T4'14 by 7 seconds in a 6 minute qualifier. I ran the T4'14 for 3 months and 2nd weekend with the ARC I'm 7 seconds faster.

* As mentioned in my last post this chassis takes set-up changes like a boss, whether it's good or bad the car lets you know once tires get to temp. If your going the wrong way the car will be slower, you go the right way the car will be faster. There isn't anything forgiving when it comes down to getting the car on pace. Takes set-up extremely well and you'll be pleasantly surprised once the window of fine tuning is found. I have experimented with several different set-ups and what I like most about the car is the consistency. EXAMPLE: There is no inconsistency what so ever that I found. You get what you get per set-up and that's all she wrote, this is experimenting with different set-ups of course. Difference is, one set-up is Faster/Slower than the other. So finding the window of fine-tuning, getting your R10 race worthy doesn't take very long.

* Steering is very impressive... 2 clicks from full lock. The steering blocks are 2 clicks away on the EPA from touching the caster blocks (100 DR). Car has immediate/precise turn in, there wasn't one instance I used the entire wheel during all Qualifying runs and the Main. Needing steering is definitely not an issue with the R10. Bottom line, you turn the wheel the car is turning on the fly. But you can easily take steering out, "if a lot of steering is to much for one individual" it can easily be removed as it is to add steering.

* With the current set-up the rear rotates just a tic faster than I want (need to calm the rear down slightly, but it's very close), however holds well when rolling through off-power turns and is planted with on-power turns. I feel the car is slightly under the gun with entry corner speed but makes up for the loss coming out (comes out of the corner, kind of like a slot car). There are still several changes to experiment with allowing more improvements and more speed, it's close.

The weekend closed out with a 3rd spot in the main, 1 second back of TQ and finished 1st in the main

I'm excited to begin tuning with the option parts as the only thing I've tested outside of stock kit (hard suspension arms, split blocks F/R, different springs, 3000 diff fluid and shock oils).

Will be going at it again this coming weekend testing a front diff 2.5mill, floating lay-shaft with center post, 1.1mm 4 hole pistons, heavier shock oil and different sway bars.

I'm confident there's more with how the car is out the box, finding a wee bit more entry speed and getting the rear of the car to slightly slow down under rotation will make for the perfect weapon, just need little more time with the chassis. However I'm going to dig little deeper with more option parts this weekend and see what comes from it. As of now I'm a happy camper and the ARC did a job well done this weekend, giving my R10 it's first win. I couldn't be happier with this product having only 2 weekends on the chassis, still plenty of experimenting to do
Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #1029
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Practicing in preparation for this weekends regional meet here in Socal. Track is a small low to med grip carpet track with a controlled tire(sweep QTS 32). The car handled FANTASTIC topping the time sheet in free practice. The tires are quite good. consistent through out the run and doesn't drop off in times even after 15 packs.
How did you do this weekend Minh
Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #1030
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I qualified third. Held third for 4 min and then bobbled and tucked my body and finished fourth off the podium. Still fun. Carpet was a bit low in traction but got a strong set up for sweep 32 QTS(control tire). Will post set up soon.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #1031
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
I qualified third. Held third for 4 min and then bobbled and tucked my body and finished fourth off the podium. Still fun. Carpet was a bit low in traction but got a strong set up for sweep 32 QTS(control tire). Will post set up soon.
Well placing in the top 5 with a bobble resulting in a "I'm assuming" martialed body tuck isn't a bad result. If something bad was going to happen I would rather take myself off the podium than getting involved with bad luck and get knocked off the podium

Either way nice finish
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #1032
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Had good results this weekend for only having the car out on it's second weekend. The turn out was little lighter than normal but had a handful of fast guys to still make things very interesting also anyone's race. More importantly I had my previous times to race against.

Found a good setup for high bite carpet getting the car really close, still about 2 tenths away from the cars potential out the box, but it's very close, just have to find it. Right now the car is very predictable (does the same thing every time), the rear is rotating just a tic faster than I want but is fast and consistent...

Now that I'm settled in with a new chassis and had more time with the car. I have to say I'm very impressed with the performance and durability, as I have destroyed my previous best qualifying run with the recently retired T4'14 by 7 seconds in a 6 minute qualifier. I ran the T4'14 for 3 months and 2nd weekend with the ARC I'm 7 seconds faster.

* As mentioned in my last post this chassis takes set-up changes like a boss, whether it's good or bad the car lets you know once tires get to temp. If your going the wrong way the car will be slower, you go the right way the car will be faster. There isn't anything forgiving when it comes down to getting the car on pace. Takes set-up extremely well and you'll be pleasantly surprised once the window of fine tuning is found. I have experimented with several different set-ups and what I like most about the car is the consistency. EXAMPLE: There is no inconsistency what so ever that I found. You get what you get per set-up and that's all she wrote, this is experimenting with different set-ups of course. Difference is, one set-up is Faster/Slower than the other. So finding the window of fine-tuning, getting your R10 race worthy doesn't take very long.

* Steering is very impressive... 2 clicks from full lock. The steering blocks are 2 clicks away on the EPA from touching the caster blocks (100 DR). Car has immediate/precise turn in, there wasn't one instance I used the entire wheel during all Qualifying runs and the Main. Needing steering is definitely not an issue with the R10. Bottom line, you turn the wheel the car is turning on the fly. But you can easily take steering out, "if a lot of steering is to much for one individual" it can easily be removed as it is to add steering.

* With the current set-up the rear rotates just a tic faster than I want (need to calm the rear down slightly, but it's very close), however holds well when rolling through off-power turns and is planted with on-power turns. I feel the car is slightly under the gun with entry corner speed but makes up for the loss coming out (comes out of the corner, kind of like a slot car). There are still several changes to experiment with allowing more improvements and more speed, it's close.

The weekend closed out with a 3rd spot in the main, 1 second back of TQ and finished 1st in the main

I'm excited to begin tuning with the option parts as the only thing I've tested outside of stock kit (hard suspension arms, split blocks F/R, different springs, 3000 diff fluid and shock oils).

Will be going at it again this coming weekend testing a front diff 2.5mill, floating lay-shaft with center post, 1.1mm 4 hole pistons, heavier shock oil and different sway bars.

I'm confident there's more with how the car is out the box, finding a wee bit more entry speed and getting the rear of the car to slightly slow down under rotation will make for the perfect weapon, just need little more time with the chassis. However I'm going to dig little deeper with more option parts this weekend and see what comes from it. As of now I'm a happy camper and the ARC did a job well done this weekend, giving my R10 it's first win. I couldn't be happier with this product having only 2 weekends on the chassis, still plenty of experimenting to do
Great review Marc! I'll be getting my ARC soon and really look forward to it!

McFactory Motorsports, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1033
Tech Adept

Thanks Antimullet

Glad to hear we'll have another R10 rolling around the tracks picking on the other manufactures.

If you have any building or set-up questions I'm certain anyone on this thread can assist, myself included as I haven't read one post with negative comments towards the 2013 R10. I'm also confident, after the summer comes and goes there will be several other R10's in the mix and more informative feedback regarding this chassis. Not that there isn't enough already, but the more the better IMO.... .

Congratulations on your soon to come new chassis, I'm 100% confident you'll be impressed, just like myself and the others that had the pleasure of building, tweaking and currently racing the R10. The R10 is a growing platform and continues to grab the attention of others which will ultimately make this already beast of a race platform that much better.

Also I'll be attending the GATE's Grand Finale Race April 26th and 27th. Until then I'll be attending some club races, doing a lot of testing in preparation. So I'll have a solid set-up to share shortly for (med-high bite) and also (high bite).
Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #1034
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Antimullet

Glad to hear we'll have another R10 rolling around the tracks picking on the other manufactures.

If you have any building or set-up questions I'm certain anyone on this thread can assist, myself included as I haven't read one post with negative comments towards the 2013 R10. I'm also confident, after the summer comes and goes there will be several other R10's in the mix and more informative feedback regarding this chassis. Not that there isn't enough already, but the more the better IMO.... .

Congratulations on your soon to come new chassis, I'm 100% confident you'll be impressed, just like myself and the others that had the pleasure of building, tweaking and currently racing the R10. The R10 is a growing platform and continues to grab the attention of others which will ultimately make this already beast of a race platform that much better.

Also I'll be attending the GATE's Grand Finale Race April 26th and 27th. Until then I'll be attending some club races, doing a lot of testing in preparation. So I'll have a solid set-up to share shortly for (med-high bite) and also (high bite).
Outstanding! I'll be sure to share setups as well and best of luck this year!

McFactory Motorsports, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #1035
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Going to finally get back out on the track this weekend. Going to be playing around with a new motor I've been running the R1 Wurks. This motor has been placing consistently in the top three at every event Ive been at onroad and offroad. Got me a first a few weeks ago along with the ARC 2013 platform. Its a force to be reckon with. Anyways don't forget to check us out on the ARC facebook page.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc r10, rc-world, team titan