R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #406
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The little ARK fella has fallen back a couple of pages.
I picked up the new 2.25mm chassis yesterday, looking forward to giving it a try.
It seems to be getting very positive reviews on the ARC Driver facebook page. If you race an ARC jump on and like the group, lots of good info is posted there direct from the Manufacturer.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #407
Tech Regular

I'm not entirely sure if I should be building the kit with the 2.25 or the kit 2.5 chassis...

Running on low/medium traction tarmac in modified. Although my driving might not be up for it as I only have raced once in 3 years so that painful 13.5 boosted class might be an option.

Any opinions most welcome
Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #408
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveonamission View Post
I'm not entirely sure if I should be building the kit with the 2.25 or the kit 2.5 chassis...

Running on low/medium traction tarmac in modified. Although my driving might not be up for it as I only have raced once in 3 years so that painful 13.5 boosted class might be an option.

For low grip I'd definately go with the 2.25 and the 1.6 top deck if possible. Flex = traction. JMO
Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #409
Tech Elite

Quote:

Are you UK based?

I've run the kit chassis and the older 2.5mm flex chassis a couple of times now on UK tarmac (low/medium grip at best). I would say it is more of a feel than an outright pace thing. The more flexible chassis has a bit more "flow" to it but can perhaps feel sluggish, the harder chassis feels sharper but less consistent.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #410
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
For low grip I'd definately go with the 2.25 and the 1.6 top deck if possible. Flex = traction. JMO
Thanks for your opinion. Agreed that you need a certain amount of chassis flex to generate enough traction. However with the added flex, I'm then looking into the amount of corner speed I may be sacrificing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Are you UK based?

I've run the kit chassis and the older 2.5mm flex chassis a couple of times now on UK tarmac (low/medium grip at best). I would say it is more of a feel than an outright pace thing. The more flexible chassis has a bit more "flow" to it but can perhaps feel sluggish, the harder chassis feels sharper but less consistent.
I am indeed UK based.

So it sounds like from your early findings , so far, the kit chassis produces decent traction and as I suspected the flex chassis could give me less response overall... I guess you have to take into account the 2 layers of glass fibre in the kit chassis, so it's not as stiff as first thought from a 2.5mm chassis with very small cutouts. Think i'll build it with the kit 2.5mm and see how I go - Was just wondering if I was wasting my time with it (seems not), as testing in Taiwan I would of thought would be on medium to high traction.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #411
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I fully agree that increased flex compromises corner speed to an extent. However, I feel like the overall smoothness and cosistency of a chassis that's been engineered to flex correctly benefits me more lap after lap. Josh Cyrul commented recently (page 27) that he'll be running the 2.25 in both mod and spec classes after testing against the 2.5 flex. Watching the video of his dominant performance at the roar carpet nationals... I'm covinced, his car was so smooth and consistent. Once again, JMO.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #412
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
I fully agree that increased flex compromises corner speed to an extent. However, I feel like the overall smoothness and cosistency of a chassis that's been engineered to flex correctly benefits me more lap after lap. Josh Cyrul commented recently (page 27) that he'll be running the 2.25 in both mod and spec classes after testing against the 2.5 flex. Watching the video of his dominant performance at the roar carpet nationals... I'm covinced, his car was so smooth and consistent. Once again, JMO.
Indeed corner speed is nothing without consistency lap after lap. I guess we are all trying to find the right balance.

Regarding Josh Cyrul's comments, I understand, or I'm guessing ROAR carpet nationals where really high traction? And i'm guessing he wanted to mellow the car out in these conditions as looking at his setup he is running all the upgrades to do this... I did watch the video and his car looked ace in modified

Oh well I'll see what happens! I'll report back when I finally get out.

Thanks for the pointers
Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #413
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Like any car, i would always build the kit as it was intended, and then make personal decisions on changes.

The 2.25mm is getting positive reviews, but i am not sure if i would jump straight on it, its not overly difficult to swap out a chassis.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #414
Tech Apprentice

Hi

I dont like the rebuilding of the ARC dampers. So i want to use TRF dampers on my ARC.
What do i need beside the dampers?
Maybe ballends and shims?

Edit: Oh, is found the answer in some older posts.

Greetings

Last edited by subzero2k; 04-16-2013 at 08:58 PM.
subzero2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #415
Tech Master

The dampers are probably the most important part to improve at this moment. I find rebuilding them quite a hassle and requires frequent rebuilds for decent consistency. Been considering T-Shox but the price is a little steep for me right now.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #416
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to ScottyTC4NZ
Default What's spur gears fit?

Hey Guy,

What spur gears fit as looking for a 80t 48p that will fit

Thanks
Titan ARC R10 2013 / Blitz / Sweep / Team Titan
Titan ARC R10 Upgrade / Blitz / Sweep / Team Titan
ScottyTC4NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #417
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
The dampers are probably the most important part to improve at this moment. I find rebuilding them quite a hassle and requires frequent rebuilds for decent consistency. Been considering T-Shox but the price is a little steep for me right now.
What's so bad about the shocks? Looking at the manual, they look like your run-of-the-mill Tamiya knock-off. At least they don't have a snap ring instead of a bottom cap.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #418
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
What's so bad about the shocks? Looking at the manual, they look like your run-of-the-mill Tamiya knock-off. At least they don't have a snap ring instead of a bottom cap.

-Mike
Not sure... I just built mine and they came out OK after a couple of attempts of rebound adjustment . As you say run-of-the-mill Tamiya knock-offs.... which do the job.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #419
Tech Master

"after a couple of attempts of rebound adjustment"....

That is what needs improvement. Time is crucial to some people...

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #420
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion. Agreed that you need a certain amount of chassis flex to generate enough traction. However with the added flex, I'm then looking into the amount of corner speed I may be sacrificing...

I am indeed UK based.

So it sounds like from your early findings , so far, the kit chassis produces decent traction and as I suspected the flex chassis could give me less response overall... I guess you have to take into account the 2 layers of glass fibre in the kit chassis, so it's not as stiff as first thought from a 2.5mm chassis with very small cutouts. Think i'll build it with the kit 2.5mm and see how I go - Was just wondering if I was wasting my time with it (seems not), as testing in Taiwan I would of thought would be on medium to high traction.
Ran the car again with the std chassis at the BTCC last weekend. Had run the flex chassis at the club meeting the week before.

Hard to say whether either was faster or even better since it wasn't a true back to back test, but the hard chassis felt sharper (in particular through the quick corner onto the main straight), and pace-wise I was about the same margin off the top guys that I always am. Set personal bests during the course of the day, which is good, although there were plenty of PBs being set by others!

If you're interested, this is my setup - http://fiveeight0sixsix.files.wordpr...up-21-4-13.pdf - in all honesty, the biggest difference I've found from running the car was the switch to 2.5 rear toe which just freed it up and got rid of the mild understeer balance I always struggled with (indoors and out). Chassis changes "feel" different but the balance and laptimes are about the same.

PS the shocks are "inspired by" Tamiya piston and seals and XRAY caps. The XRAY caps are the problem, it's a shame they didn't just "take inspiration from" the Tamiya caps instead.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc r10, rc-world, team titan