R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Bob at Stomer Hobbies has them, cheaper then Amain too.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=cs&pn=SCHK132
Out of the 1S / shorty version...
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #122
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
OK

The PROTOform body just came in...

Has to be twice as thick as the Kamtec body. I think I could stand on this shell. Might be too thick if anything.
Good to hear! Sounds like Protoform considered the class they were producing the body for when determining the thickness of the shell. Maybe they watched the Youtube video of that oval "race" lol.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
Good to hear! Sounds like Protoform considered the class they were producing the body for when determining the thickness of the shell. Maybe they watched the Youtube video of that oval "race" lol.
I would so own that style of "racing."

I learned to take folks out from the best.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #124
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Its a big carpet class in the UK and we're going to run it locally indoor. But, it should work outdoors too. It is very much like a traditional 12th scale car, just sturdier.

Thanks! I think i'll give it a go on our local track! It's mostly 1/10 track but should be good for this car to then.
Lyrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #125
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Ran 3 full packs through the car last night. What a blast. I'm not saying run into stuff, but it's nice to have a car that doesn't really care if you tap a pipe or take a good thump - tried to shorten some corners and went all the way across the track to the outside pipe.

I was not interested in SupaStox when they first came out. It thought the banger class looked like fun for pure entertainment. But, my tune has changed. This car is really a 12th scale in disguise. The GT bodies are very protective of the electronics. The full length chassis from front to back with bumpers is not only in the GT12 rules, its genius. If this car takes a shot from the front or the back, it's protected. What a great idea! Thank the inventor of the Mardave! This car is a great feeder for true 12th scale racing once you get up to speed. In my opinion this is a great racing car for beginners because it drives so well. Don't let the foam tires turn you away, they are extremely durable. In cost of ownership, this is hands down the winner. Get a HobbyKing Trackstar Gen II 1S ESC, Trackstar 13.5 motor and a Turnigy 1S battery (Just over $100 for all of it) and you're set. M06 mini will be for sale after this experience. For the cost of the upgrades alone for the M06, I can buy a SupaStox.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #126
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Ran 3 full packs through the car last night. What a blast. I'm not saying run into stuff, but it's nice to have a car that doesn't really care if you tap a pipe or take a good thump - tried to shorten some corners and went all the way across the track to the outside pipe.

I was not interested in SupaStox when they first came out. It thought the banger class looked like fun for pure entertainment. But, my tune has changed. This car is really a 12th scale in disguise. The GT bodies are very protective of the electronics. The full length chassis from front to back with bumpers is not only in the GT12 rules, its genius. If this car takes a shot from the front or the back, it's protected. What a great idea! Thank the inventor of the Mardave! This car is a great feeder for true 12th scale racing once you get up to speed. In my opinion this is a great racing car for beginners because it drives so well. Don't let the foam tires turn you away, they are extremely durable. In cost of ownership, this is hands down the winner. Get a HobbyKing Trackstar Gen II 1S ESC, Trackstar 13.5 motor and a Turnigy 1S battery (Just over $100 for all of it) and you're set. M06 mini will be for sale after this experience. For the cost of the upgrades alone for the M06, I can buy a SupaStox.
This class should be far, far and away more popular in the states than it is.

This chassis alone, could satisfy the needs of most club on-road racers at a silly affordable price point while providing 90% of the performance of kits costing three times as much.

Just stupid fun.

Stan Garvin
Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #127
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
This class should be far, far and away more popular in the states than it is.

This chassis alone, could satisfy the needs of most club on-road racers at a silly affordable price point while providing 90% of the performance of kits costing three times as much.

Just stupid fun.
Second car should be ready for Tuesday. The car and all parts are in town tomorrow or Monday at the latest. That means racing. I'm going to bind it to one of my spare TXs so it's ready for work.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #128
Tech Champion

Default GT12 Racing

I started a racing thread here.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #129
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

what shore ratings would you recommend to start with on carpet?

Hobbyking for the WIN! $105.94 for ESC/Motor/Batt woot!

-Rudy
Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #130
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05 View Post
what shore ratings would you recommend to start with on carpet?

Hobbyking for the WIN! $105.94 for ESC/Motor/Batt woot!

-Rudy
The ones in the box, 47 fronts, 35 rears.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #131
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

Also, what are you guys doing for FDR? the TC's are being recommended 3.5-4.5

-Rudy
Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #132
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05 View Post
Also, what are you guys doing for FDR? the TC's are being recommended 3.5-4.5

-Rudy
We are running the 70T 48P spur, 32T Pinion, Timing you will have to figure out based on your motor. Rollout is roughly 77.3 mm (FDR in the 2.2 - 2.5 range). Stock spur is 46T 32P and would need a 21T pinion to get in that range.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #133
Tech Elite

Default A bit of calrification needed:

Can someone from the UK, who knows these things, comment on the various classes run with the Mardave/SupaStox I keep reading about?

GT12 - I know what that is and what the rules are.

Bangers - some idea.

HotRods - no idea.

Saloon Stox - no idea.

Stan Garvin

Last edited by celt; 09-23-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #134
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Bangers - no idea.

HotRods - no idea.

Saloon Stox - no idea.
Some of the classes are oval only with various battery/motor combinations depending on the class and local rules. Hot Rods were used on circuit racing for years when it was Mardave only but they were alot simpler back then.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #135
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

from the pictures the 1s vs 2s versions just have a different strap and battery fixing plate.

is it a problem to just tape in a 1s battery into the 2s chassis with the strap and plate removed? from the picture its hard to tell if the tape would foul the side links.