R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
I've built and run a Supastox. They're super cool. It sounds like you guys are going to try starting up a class. Question: do you intend to allow the diff upgrade? http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca...tox/U4065.html

It's a $40-50 USD part that most certainly offers a performance advantage. The car is perfectly good without it. But, diff cars would most assuredly separate themselves from those without. I'm not sure about he BRCA approach on the diff. I'd say ban it, otherwise your budget race car is suddenly a lot less budget.
I did buy the diff kit as the rules allow for the diff, but what an easy swap back to a solid axle. The rules are located here.

Quote:
7.2 GT12 ProductionCup using brushed or brushless motors (17.5t only) as defined in Construction Rules 2.1, 3.2, 4,
5.1 and 5.2. Cars may be fitted with additional parts not supplied in the rolling chassis kit (see Rule 6.7 and 6.7.1)
including a differential in the rear axle and replacements for other parts.

Parts or components that break or wear out will be replaced “like for like”, or as close as possible if those parts
are no longer in production
Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Supastox kit, body, diff assy, tuning orings and springs, shipping ~$250
Trackstar 13.5, Gen2 1S ESC, smart program box, shipping ~$110
Savox mini servo ~$60
XP receiver ~$40
RC4 hybrid transponder ~$110
1S lipo *already have them*
------
$570 + a battery
Not bad considering what I have in my Pro10... Plus the supastox should hold up nicely and not need more money stuck into it. I've got it priced out now to save the dough.

@PutAwayWet, I see your point about the diff. Having driven a Supastox w/ the diff installed, I wouldn't want a solid axle. The little stinker is already sketchy in high speed corning. Controlled and fluid sketchy that I enjoyed driving... but sketchy none the less. Couldn't imagine what a handfull it would be with a solid axle.

Last edited by OrganicMechanic; 09-10-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: can't spell
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #93
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Front wishbone kit isn't worth the effort. Better off with the various camber links.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #94
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I've built and run a Supastox. They're super cool. It sounds like you guys are going to try starting up a class. Question: do you intend to allow the diff upgrade? http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca...tox/U4065.html

It's a $40-50 USD part that most certainly offers a performance advantage. The car is perfectly good without it. But, diff cars would most assuredly separate themselves from those without. I'm not sure about he BRCA approach on the diff. I'd say ban it, otherwise your budget race car is suddenly a lot less budget.
In the UK the Production class with no diff was created so you could keep costs down, but very few people took it up. Almost everyone runs with a diff so the new rules this year for Production Cup as it is now called is the same chassis specs as Super Cup but limited to 1S/17.5T power.

A cheaper alternative is the Mardave V12 diff http://www.mardave.co.uk/example-product-16567.html but not by much and lots of people prefer the Schumacher diff in both Supastox and Mardave cars.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Given the choice, I'm sure most would go for the diff. Like I said, I've driven without and it's fine, but I don't need any convincing that the diff option is a better drive.

Not to mention, now that I think of it, banning the ball differential in a Schumacher chassis rather misses the point, no?

Hopefully it takes off in Wisconsin. You guys might be leading the way in U.S. pan car racing. Good on you!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Given the choice, I'm sure most would go for the diff. Like I said, I've driven without and it's fine, but I don't need any convincing that the diff option is a better drive.

Not to mention, now that I think of it, banning the ball differential in a Schumacher chassis rather misses the point, no?

Hopefully it takes off in Wisconsin. You guys might be leading the way in U.S. pan car racing. Good on you!
It really would be ironic for Schumacher too ban a diff, .

Lately it seems Wisconsin is a breeding ground for pan cars! LM1 going strong, Pro10 up and coming fast, GT12 recently rediscovered, F1 still here, 12th scale still here, WGT meh, I think that's about it lol...
Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #97
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default oh man!

rear diffuser?

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=776160
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #98
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hello
I have a brand new supastox for sale only built for display purpose. only upgrade I have are spring and a unpainted body. pm me for details. letting go for 100 shipped.

Wow!! all spoken for
Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #99
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsstrike View Post
hello
I have a brand new supastox for sale only built for display purpose. only upgrade I have are spring and a unpainted body. pm me for details. letting go for 100 shipped.
PM Sent.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #100
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ITs sold
Old 09-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Nice! it will either help clear the dirty air under the rear bumper skirt or it will help trap it in... or it will look really cool which obviously makes it faster lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsstrike View Post
hello

Wow!! all spoken for
Well you snooze you lose! I'd have snatched that Supastox up in hurry if I'd have seen it sooner... what you gunna do. Lucky john!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #102
Tech Champion

Quote:
Cool! Lexan, Plastic or Carbon Look. Not sure what the last one is. Looks like you lose the rear bumper though.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #103
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
Well you snooze you lose! I'd have snatched that Supastox up in hurry if I'd have seen it sooner... what you gunna do. Lucky john!
Very Lucky! I just happened to pop online at the same time. I'm either passing it along to the club or seeing if the kid is going to race at all. He wants to run WGT and LM-1, but only he and I have WGT cars ready. I think GT12 will be the roughly same speed to just a couple tenths slower with both running 13.5 1S.

More Trackstar items and batteries heading this way. Found a park servo that might fit too.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 09-11-2014 at 08:57 AM.
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Very Lucky! I just happened to pop online at the same time. I'm either passing it along to the club or seeing if the kid is going to race at all. He wants to run WGT and LM-1, but only he and I have WGT cars ready. I think GT12 will be the roughly same speed to just a couple tenths slower with both running 13.5 1S.

More Trackstar items and batteries heading this way. Found a park servo that might fit too.
Wow...if that servo works as is needed, and it should, it's a great find.

Metal gears and double ball bearing? Perfect.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #105
Tech Champion

Quote:
Wow...if that servo works as is needed, and it should, it's a great find.

Metal gears and double ball bearing? Perfect.
I thought it was a good find, but it's only in the Global Warehouse. So, I ordered 2 to test. No problems with the Trackstar ESC in blinky in the WGT, so one of those is going in the car. If the paint dries tonight, I should have it on the track tomorrow with a little wrenching.