Search
Like Tree4Likes

Schumacher SupaStox GT12 circuit racer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Conrad
A few clubs still run it in England I believe, it is slightly faster than 1S/13.5t down the straight but it was never run at any national event. If you can stick to the 1S/13.5t class as it will save any headaches but I know the 21.5t motor is a good option for buggy drivers to come and try their hand at GT12.
Indeed...a lot of folks here have 2S shorty packs. We'll investigate both ways.

Wow. Just took me an hour to build the rolling chassis. The quality of this kit is absolutely amazing!

I gather they weren't intended to break...ever?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks for letting me know about this class celt! I think I'll be getting one of these for the wife, assuming this class takes off with our club... I like 13.5 1S if it's slower. Hopefully this will be the cheap, simple, slow class that the wife has been hoping for to get her started racing. Look like a better alternative to mini anyway.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Schumacher and Mardave GT12 cars run at 12th nationals in the UK. Check out this video of one from last winter

http://vimeo.com/87656931
Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic
Thanks for letting me know about this class celt! I think I'll be getting one of these for the wife, assuming this class takes off with our club... I like 13.5 1S if it's slower. Hopefully this will be the cheap, simple, slow class that the wife has been hoping for to get her started racing. Look like a better alternative to mini anyway.
The mini doesn't hold a candle to this kit in any regard, not even close.

Amazing bit of engineering in this little guy. Has all the adjustability, but is so simple to tune. I know it will handle beautifully, I can tell by looking at it.

Always liked Schumacher's stuff anyway.

Just didn't expect this level of quality and thoughtful design at this price. I'll bring it Tuesday so you can drool!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
The mini doesn't hold a candle to this kit in any regard, not even close.

Amazing bit of engineering in this little guy. Has all the adjustability, but is so simple to tune. I know it will handle beautifully, I can tell by looking at it.

Always liked Schumacher's stuff anyway.

Just didn't expect this level of quality and thoughtful design at this price. I'll bring it Tuesday so you can drool!
What are you going to do for tires, and trueing ?
They have unique wheels no ?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is a difference between 2S/21.5 and 1S/13.5. For a given track, one will suit it better than the other. This has drawn some clubs to settling on one class only to even up the racing and keep the cost down.

The 1S/13.5 is the easier car to drive and the best to learn with. Racing is very close and one has to learn to keep corner speeds up and accurate. It is a drivers class - once you have a set-up that works everyone can easily copy it so it is down to driving skill.

The car was designed for the contact class that is called Oval in the UK so it is basically indestructible in the GT12 class. Tyres are best from Contact - 50 front and 47 rear works just about everywhere and they wear like iron. 2mm stagger is the aim - 45 rear and 43 front but you can start from 47 rear and 45 front if you are man with the tyres. I have a set that started at 46 rear 44 front and have lost less than 1mm after 15 races! Best additive we find is SXT3 on these tyres.

Stick to the weight limit in the BRCA rules. Don't be tempted to reduce it as the cars won't work if you do. It might seem a high limit, but with a short wheelbase and narrow track you need the weight. If your track has high grip there is a simple trick to stop the grip roll.

I hope you get it going on 1S/13.5 as it is a really great class.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
There is a difference between 2S/21.5 and 1S/13.5. For a given track, one will suit it better than the other. This has drawn some clubs to settling on one class only to even up the racing and keep the cost down.

The 1S/13.5 is the easier car to drive and the best to learn with. Racing is very close and one has to learn to keep corner speeds up and accurate. It is a drivers class - once you have a set-up that works everyone can easily copy it so it is down to driving skill.

The car was designed for the contact class that is called Oval in the UK so it is basically indestructible in the GT12 class. Tyres are best from Contact - 50 front and 47 rear works just about everywhere and they wear like iron. 2mm stagger is the aim - 45 rear and 43 front but you can start from 47 rear and 45 front if you are man with the tyres. I have a set that started at 46 rear 44 front and have lost less than 1mm after 15 races! Best additive we find is SXT3 on these tyres.

Stick to the weight limit in the BRCA rules. Don't be tempted to reduce it as the cars won't work if you do. It might seem a high limit, but with a short wheelbase and narrow track you need the weight. If your track has high grip there is a simple trick to stop the grip roll.

I hope you get it going on 1S/13.5 as it is a really great class.
Are the tires more of the purple/Lilac family, or something else ?

We have so few 1/12 racers as it is, unlike the BRCA
Not sure a new class with little support will help our cause?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Are the tires more of the purple/Lilac family, or something else ?

We have so few 1/12 racers as it is, unlike the BRCA
Not sure a new class with little support will help our cause?
Something else. Their origins are in 8th gas track tyres. Work really well though...

Yes, if you don't have a good following from the 1S classes (12th, WGT) then it is difficult to get this class going. I can understand that your club would want to think about 2S/21.5 if the guys wanting to try the class come from Off-Road and TC.

Hope you get something going, it is a really great class to drive, especially on smaller indoor tracks.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Yes, if you don't have a good following from the 1S classes (12th, WGT) then it is difficult to get this class going. I can understand that your club would want to think about 2S/21.5 if the guys wanting to try the class come from Off-Road and TC.

Hope you get something going, it is a really great class to drive, especially on smaller indoor tracks.
We've an odd situation that might make this fly really well;

Ton of Tamiya mini drivers that run M-06 chassis with shorty packs and 21.5's - Since Tamiya announced that brushless would favor the old tried and true silvercan.

The quality of racing has been dreadful. I'm not sure the Tamiya mini chassis can handle the increased power/timing with any grace at all - however, perfect for a silver can.

A lot of our drivers have been discouraged with their mini's. The SupaStox chassis is a perfect drop in replacement for this combo. It will have no issues dealing with the power and be magnitudes more durable, more economical and handle much better.

Don't see the down sides...for $129.00 for a kit with tires and $20.00 for a body.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh brother. Another package in transit from across the pond. 2 F type bodies for this one. After asking questions for 2 years and seeing Stan's, I bit.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

21.5 2S makes perfect sense, to get people to switch from mini. Sounds like a promising class, at an affordable price.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic
21.5 2S makes perfect sense, to get people to switch from mini. Sounds like a promising class, at an affordable price.
Admittedly, I would be intrigued to try 13.5/1S myself. In the UK they run them this way the majority of time, and they might be better. GT12 is big in Europe, so I gather they know what they're doing.

Just trying to get some traction with 21.5/2S which we know people have - then we can branch out once drivers have the kits. It would be interesting to hear from those who've run both.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Trackstar GEN I I 1S 120A and Track star 13.5 is under $90 if we want to run a cheap 1S setup. The only issue is that you need either the SkyRC or Trackstar multi program box to really get at the settings. I have just installed the GenII in my 13.5 WGT to test the ESC. Works great on the default profile so far. The program box should be here this week some time and I'll share the details. There is supposedly a way to get the SKYRC Progbox to work with this ESC by doing a firmware update to the ESC.

All that being said I will be one of the 13.5 1S guys. So, this, 12th mod and Pro10.... guess I'm officially a pan car fanatic.

The race is on, will the Supastox or Rev8 Pro make it to my door first.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Trackstar GEN I I 1S 120A and Track star 13.5 is under $90 if we want to run a cheap 1S setup. The only issue is that you need either the SkyRC or Trackstar multi program box to really get at the settings. I have just installed the GenII in my 13.5 WGT to test the ESC. Works great on the default profile so far. The program box should be here this week some time and I'll share the details. There is supposedly a way to get the SKYRC Progbox to work with this ESC by doing a firmware update to the ESC.

All that being said I will be one of the 13.5 1S guys. So, this, 12th mod and Pro10.... guess I'm officially a pan car fanatic.

The race is on, will the Supastox or Rev8 Pro make it to my door first.
The box isn't really an issue. I know a couple of clubs who have bought a couple of different boxes so all their members can make adjustments during a club night. They aren't expensive.

Thos so-called "cheap" 1S systems are not that bad. They are everything you could need for some great club racing. At National level in the UK most people use LRP/Nosram/HW speedos and the usual BL motors seen in 12th and WGT. However, mostly that's because they already have this kit in their boxes. At Club level there is a large range of stuff in use, and the racing is just as close.

And yes, you are now officially a pan-car addict!!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Can't wait to check one of these out before I pull the trigger on a kit, I'll try to keep my drool in my mouth Stan. I'm already pretty much sold on the supastox, if the wife decides she doesn't like it I'll race it.

I'm probably going the 13.5/1S route like liljohn. I need to do some homework on 1S applications first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.