R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #61
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,329
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
A few clubs still run it in England I believe, it is slightly faster than 1S/13.5t down the straight but it was never run at any national event. If you can stick to the 1S/13.5t class as it will save any headaches but I know the 21.5t motor is a good option for buggy drivers to come and try their hand at GT12.
Indeed...a lot of folks here have 2S shorty packs. We'll investigate both ways.

Wow. Just took me an hour to build the rolling chassis. The quality of this kit is absolutely amazing!

I gather they weren't intended to break...ever?
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #62
Tech Fanatic
 
OrganicMechanic's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mt. Morris, WI.
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for letting me know about this class celt! I think I'll be getting one of these for the wife, assuming this class takes off with our club... I like 13.5 1S if it's slower. Hopefully this will be the cheap, simple, slow class that the wife has been hoping for to get her started racing. Look like a better alternative to mini anyway.
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #63
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 106
Default

Schumacher and Mardave GT12 cars run at 12th nationals in the UK. Check out this video of one from last winter

http://vimeo.com/87656931
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #64
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,329
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
Thanks for letting me know about this class celt! I think I'll be getting one of these for the wife, assuming this class takes off with our club... I like 13.5 1S if it's slower. Hopefully this will be the cheap, simple, slow class that the wife has been hoping for to get her started racing. Look like a better alternative to mini anyway.
The mini doesn't hold a candle to this kit in any regard, not even close.

Amazing bit of engineering in this little guy. Has all the adjustability, but is so simple to tune. I know it will handle beautifully, I can tell by looking at it.

Always liked Schumacher's stuff anyway.

Just didn't expect this level of quality and thoughtful design at this price. I'll bring it Tuesday so you can drool!
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #65
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
The mini doesn't hold a candle to this kit in any regard, not even close.

Amazing bit of engineering in this little guy. Has all the adjustability, but is so simple to tune. I know it will handle beautifully, I can tell by looking at it.

Always liked Schumacher's stuff anyway.

Just didn't expect this level of quality and thoughtful design at this price. I'll bring it Tuesday so you can drool!
What are you going to do for tires, and trueing ?
They have unique wheels no ?
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #66
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

There is a difference between 2S/21.5 and 1S/13.5. For a given track, one will suit it better than the other. This has drawn some clubs to settling on one class only to even up the racing and keep the cost down.

The 1S/13.5 is the easier car to drive and the best to learn with. Racing is very close and one has to learn to keep corner speeds up and accurate. It is a drivers class - once you have a set-up that works everyone can easily copy it so it is down to driving skill.

The car was designed for the contact class that is called Oval in the UK so it is basically indestructible in the GT12 class. Tyres are best from Contact - 50 front and 47 rear works just about everywhere and they wear like iron. 2mm stagger is the aim - 45 rear and 43 front but you can start from 47 rear and 45 front if you are man with the tyres. I have a set that started at 46 rear 44 front and have lost less than 1mm after 15 races! Best additive we find is SXT3 on these tyres.

Stick to the weight limit in the BRCA rules. Don't be tempted to reduce it as the cars won't work if you do. It might seem a high limit, but with a short wheelbase and narrow track you need the weight. If your track has high grip there is a simple trick to stop the grip roll.

I hope you get it going on 1S/13.5 as it is a really great class.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #67
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
There is a difference between 2S/21.5 and 1S/13.5. For a given track, one will suit it better than the other. This has drawn some clubs to settling on one class only to even up the racing and keep the cost down.

The 1S/13.5 is the easier car to drive and the best to learn with. Racing is very close and one has to learn to keep corner speeds up and accurate. It is a drivers class - once you have a set-up that works everyone can easily copy it so it is down to driving skill.

The car was designed for the contact class that is called Oval in the UK so it is basically indestructible in the GT12 class. Tyres are best from Contact - 50 front and 47 rear works just about everywhere and they wear like iron. 2mm stagger is the aim - 45 rear and 43 front but you can start from 47 rear and 45 front if you are man with the tyres. I have a set that started at 46 rear 44 front and have lost less than 1mm after 15 races! Best additive we find is SXT3 on these tyres.

Stick to the weight limit in the BRCA rules. Don't be tempted to reduce it as the cars won't work if you do. It might seem a high limit, but with a short wheelbase and narrow track you need the weight. If your track has high grip there is a simple trick to stop the grip roll.

I hope you get it going on 1S/13.5 as it is a really great class.
Are the tires more of the purple/Lilac family, or something else ?

We have so few 1/12 racers as it is, unlike the BRCA
Not sure a new class with little support will help our cause?
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #68
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Are the tires more of the purple/Lilac family, or something else ?

We have so few 1/12 racers as it is, unlike the BRCA
Not sure a new class with little support will help our cause?
Something else. Their origins are in 8th gas track tyres. Work really well though...

Yes, if you don't have a good following from the 1S classes (12th, WGT) then it is difficult to get this class going. I can understand that your club would want to think about 2S/21.5 if the guys wanting to try the class come from Off-Road and TC.

Hope you get something going, it is a really great class to drive, especially on smaller indoor tracks.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #69
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,329
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Yes, if you don't have a good following from the 1S classes (12th, WGT) then it is difficult to get this class going. I can understand that your club would want to think about 2S/21.5 if the guys wanting to try the class come from Off-Road and TC.

Hope you get something going, it is a really great class to drive, especially on smaller indoor tracks.
We've an odd situation that might make this fly really well;

Ton of Tamiya mini drivers that run M-06 chassis with shorty packs and 21.5's - Since Tamiya announced that brushless would favor the old tried and true silvercan.

The quality of racing has been dreadful. I'm not sure the Tamiya mini chassis can handle the increased power/timing with any grace at all - however, perfect for a silver can.

A lot of our drivers have been discouraged with their mini's. The SupaStox chassis is a perfect drop in replacement for this combo. It will have no issues dealing with the power and be magnitudes more durable, more economical and handle much better.

Don't see the down sides...for $129.00 for a kit with tires and $20.00 for a body.
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #70
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,482
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Oh brother. Another package in transit from across the pond. 2 F type bodies for this one. After asking questions for 2 years and seeing Stan's, I bit.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #71
Tech Fanatic
 
OrganicMechanic's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mt. Morris, WI.
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

21.5 2S makes perfect sense, to get people to switch from mini. Sounds like a promising class, at an affordable price.
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #72
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,329
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
21.5 2S makes perfect sense, to get people to switch from mini. Sounds like a promising class, at an affordable price.
Admittedly, I would be intrigued to try 13.5/1S myself. In the UK they run them this way the majority of time, and they might be better. GT12 is big in Europe, so I gather they know what they're doing.

Just trying to get some traction with 21.5/2S which we know people have - then we can branch out once drivers have the kits. It would be interesting to hear from those who've run both.
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #73
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,482
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Trackstar GEN I I 1S 120A and Track star 13.5 is under $90 if we want to run a cheap 1S setup. The only issue is that you need either the SkyRC or Trackstar multi program box to really get at the settings. I have just installed the GenII in my 13.5 WGT to test the ESC. Works great on the default profile so far. The program box should be here this week some time and I'll share the details. There is supposedly a way to get the SKYRC Progbox to work with this ESC by doing a firmware update to the ESC.

All that being said I will be one of the 13.5 1S guys. So, this, 12th mod and Pro10.... guess I'm officially a pan car fanatic.

The race is on, will the Supastox or Rev8 Pro make it to my door first.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #74
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Trackstar GEN I I 1S 120A and Track star 13.5 is under $90 if we want to run a cheap 1S setup. The only issue is that you need either the SkyRC or Trackstar multi program box to really get at the settings. I have just installed the GenII in my 13.5 WGT to test the ESC. Works great on the default profile so far. The program box should be here this week some time and I'll share the details. There is supposedly a way to get the SKYRC Progbox to work with this ESC by doing a firmware update to the ESC.

All that being said I will be one of the 13.5 1S guys. So, this, 12th mod and Pro10.... guess I'm officially a pan car fanatic.

The race is on, will the Supastox or Rev8 Pro make it to my door first.
The box isn't really an issue. I know a couple of clubs who have bought a couple of different boxes so all their members can make adjustments during a club night. They aren't expensive.

Thos so-called "cheap" 1S systems are not that bad. They are everything you could need for some great club racing. At National level in the UK most people use LRP/Nosram/HW speedos and the usual BL motors seen in 12th and WGT. However, mostly that's because they already have this kit in their boxes. At Club level there is a large range of stuff in use, and the racing is just as close.

And yes, you are now officially a pan-car addict!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic
 
OrganicMechanic's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mt. Morris, WI.
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Can't wait to check one of these out before I pull the trigger on a kit, I'll try to keep my drool in my mouth Stan. I'm already pretty much sold on the supastox, if the wife decides she doesn't like it I'll race it.

I'm probably going the 13.5/1S route like liljohn. I need to do some homework on 1S applications first.
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:39 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net