R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #136
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
from the pictures the 1s vs 2s versions just have a different strap and battery fixing plate.

is it a problem to just tape in a 1s battery into the 2s chassis with the strap and plate removed? from the picture its hard to tell if the tape would foul the side links.
There are 4 cell and 6 cell versions. 6 cell are saddle packs. The 4 Cell will hold either a 1S or 2S shorty.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #137
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Can someone from the UK, who knows these things, comment on the various classes run with the Mardave/SupaStox I keep reading about?

GT12 - I know what that is and what the rules are.

Bangers - some idea.

HotRods - no idea.

Saloon Stox - no idea.
I'll do my best!

In the UK, national level racing is sanctioned by the British Radio Car Association (BRCA). Within the BRCA there are a dozen or so 'sections' that each deal with a different type of racing. A few examples of 'sections' are '1/10th Electric Off Road', '1/8th Nitro Off Road' and '1/10th Electric Touring Cars'.

The Schumacher Supastox and Mardave AC12 chassis fall into two BRCA sections, depending on the class(es) in which you want to race;

1/12th Electric Circuit
As its name suggests, this section takes care of 1/12 scale as it's 'main' class of racing, but also encompasses GT12, WorldGT and F1. So it is essentially the 'pan car' section.

GT12
Basically what you guys in the states are starting to become familiar with - Supastox cars with an aftermarket diff, GT style bodies, foam tyres with additive etc. Image

1/12th Electric Oval
Oval racing (both full sized and RC) in the UK is VERY different to the US. Our oval classes do not have anything to do with Nascar, Sprint Cars, Late Models or any of that type of thing. Instead, full sized oval racing in the UK is generally done on short oval tracks (1/4 mile at the biggest I think) which can be tarmac, shale or dirt. As you might imagine, the RC oval classes reflect what is seen as full sized tracks. There are lots of classes, all of them very different. RC 1/12th oval racing takes place exclusively on carpet tracks, which are very small in comparison to what you might find in the US (10m x 5m is about the biggest I've seen). Track Image

The Mardave AC12 and Schumacher Supastox cars are used in the following 1/12th oval classes in the UK;

Hot-Rods
No diffs, foam tyres without additive, saloon or hatchback style bodies, non-contact racing. Image

Bangers
No diffs, foam tyres without additive, generally ABS bodies modelled on cars you might see at full sized banger races (basically anything that is no longer in production, old jags, ford granadas, etc...), full contact racing on tiny tracks with as many as 20 cars in a heat. Image

Saloon Stox
No diffs, foam tyres without additive, ABS or polycarbonate bodies modelled on modern-ish saloon cars, contact allowed between cars, generally us 2S LiPo or 6-cell NiMh batteries. Much heavier and tougher than hot-rods due to the nature of the racing. Rigid bumpers used front and rear. Image

Hope that helps!

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman

Last edited by Mark Stiles; 09-23-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #138
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
I'll do my best! Hope that helps!
Mark,

Absolutely perfect! The images help a ton.

Wow, a lot of mileage out of one type of chassis. Perhaps that's why on-road is alive and well in the UK. Class rules go a long way in keeping the racing fair and affordable.

We might be able to learn a few things.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #139
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Bangers and Saloon Stox look like a hell of alot of fun! The front bumper on the saloon stox I want one!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #140
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Unfortunately, 1/12 oval is in the midst of a steady decline and has been for several years now. I raced it when I first got into RC about 12-14 years ago. We used to get 30+ drivers racing hot rods at a national level event. This season I think the class has barely broken into double figures at some national races.

GT12 was born out of drivers wanting to take their hot rods circuit racing with slightly better chassis specs (diffs, GT bodies, additive etc).

By contrast to oval, 1/12 circuit is booming in the UK. Our 1/12 scale nationals are already over-subscribed with more than 80 entries for the first national round, which doesn't take place for another 6 weeks! In less than 3 years GT12 has gone from nothing to being one of the most popular club level classes to race in the UK and attracting 40-50 entries to its own national events.

It continues to grow and develop, and we are now beginning to see people who initially came into GT12 start exploring 1/12 scale and WorldGT. This winter we will run 2 separate national championships; LMP (for 1/12 scale) and GT (for GT12, WorldGT and F1). We expect 80-90 entrants to each of the 6 LMP events, and around 70 entrants to each of the 4 GT events. :-)
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #141
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Don't laugh too hard. Did the MI5 beam mod without glue and the beam does indeed come off the pivots. Remarkably, the car still worked really well with just nylock nuts holding it down. Gluing tonight for even more precise steering!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #142
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Don't laugh too hard. Did the MI5 beam mod without glue and the beam does indeed come off the pivots. Remarkably, the car still worked really well with just nylock nuts holding it down. Gluing tonight for even more precise steering!
Oh oh more mods, more money

How many other mods/hopups are there for the supastox? I know about the diff of course...
Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #143
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
Oh oh more mods, more money

How many other mods/hopups are there for the supastox? I know about the diff of course...
MI5 beam mod with pivots. Camber straps, springs, o-rings, lipo brace, rear spring hanger, alloy body post mounts, front bearings (comes with bushings).

If there are more, they're not really needed. All you really need is the diff.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #144
Tech Champion

We may have a field full of McLarens. It is definitely the easier body for us to get a hold of. I really like the handling of the Ferrari though.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #145
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
We may have a field full of McLarens. It is definitely the easier body for us to get a hold of. I really like the handling of the Ferrari though.
Heads up...

When you get this body, don't blindly cut on the molded wheel well lines - they are much too large in diameter. The wheelbase is spot on, it's just that you need to be mindful to not cut the wheel well to large. Specifically the rear.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #146
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Heads up...

When you get this body, don't blindly cut on the molded wheel well lines - they are much too large in diameter. The wheelbase is spot on, it's just that you need to be mindful to not cut the wheel well to large. Specifically the rear.
Good note. I think my Protoform bodies are probably in and need to go check.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #147
Tech Elite

Default huh?

What is this?

http://www.racing-cars.com/products....&pagewidth=550

http://www.redrc.net/2014/10/schumac...it/#more-87585

Stan Garvin
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #148
Tech Elite

I'd say it is fairly obvious what it is... it is the new version of the Supastox.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #149
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I'd say it is fairly obvious what it is... it is the new version of the Supastox.
So I posted the link in the right forum space by accident?

The luck some people have...

Being so serious is bad for ones health, we're discussing toy cars here.

Stan Garvin
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #150
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking

Fantastic!! Now we search for a USA shop to get them...