Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T1FK05

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

nexus-

hmm..I will have to double check..--it is the spur gear for the touring right and not oval? not even sure if the oval spurs fit the sedans...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
Dal...I checked out the PRS Spur I had and both sides had the inner portion sticking out the same amount.

Are there 2 molds of PRS spurs that went in production? From asking around I was not the only one who couldn't get the PRS spur to work without some modification.
Nexus,

If you have a defective spur please contact PRS through their website at www.precisionracingsystems.com and let them know. There is not a MOLD for their gears. They are all machined. It is possible that they made a mistake but they will take care of it. The TC spurs are designed to fit the xray without modification.

EA
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Soviet
Screw all you guys...I'm gonna run 2 one-ways in my FT-TC4!!! Blazing speed yo...
You communist! Viva la revolucion!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgp
BigDogRacing/dawgmeat,

I respect your opinions, even with the indirect but certainly implied, derogatory remarks. As I have stated many times before, the one-way/foam/carpet setup is a "project".

I have absolutely no interest in following the status quo just to accomplish more wins. Thats why I am not a team driver (although the work I do for XRAY is a bit more than just moderating the forum; as we said in grade school, "all in the coolaid and don't know the flava").

My goal, as an engineer, with this project is to prove the naysayers, such as yourselves, wrong. And unless the Lord comes back, or I die, I will disprove the theory that a one-way/foam/carpet setup won't work well enough to win in high competition racing. You can quote that, write it down and keep it in the vault for future use.

I also believe some of the other drivers in attendance of this "glorified club race" are better than your title for the event suggests.

Since it seems that both of you are feeling a little frisky, how about a challenge then? Try the setup yourself and let me know what you think.

If thats a bit much for you to swallow, come on out to one of these glorified club races on the east coast, where I'll be, and I'll sit down and hand my car over to you to run with and see how you do.

Either way, if you have a problem with what I'm writing, I am always available via PM or I can make myself available in person to hear directly from your mouth comments such as the ones above. However, I would caution that you don't let my verbal skills and Christian faith fool you. I'm not the typical edgumacated cyberjunkie and I haven't always been a Christian.

I seriously doubt that you would use the same choice of words to get your point across in person as you have above.
Guy, I thought that I made it quite clear that I wasn't trying to be ugly about posting my opinion. I'm actually quite surprised you responded the way you did. I complimented you more than once by mentioning things like "you do a great job or reporting your findings" and "your writing and reporting skills are very good" (not exact quotes but I don't have time to go back and look). Anyways, I would love to run laps with my car, then run laps with your car (even using my own motors and batts for comparison) to see what the difference is- that's called back-to-back testing. I would certainly be willing to do the opposite as well. I think you're a good person and I've seen your posts where you take your stand as a christian- that's very impressive. I'm a christian too so I admire your faith and commitment.

As for the race not being more than a glorified club race, I could be wrong. I wasn't there. But I know Billy Spence and a number of the guys you were racing with, and I would bet they will tellyou the same thing.

Oh, and you mentioned that you intend on proving that a oneway setup will work on carpet... the funny thing is that it's already been proven- there REALLY ARE tracks/layouts/conditions where a oneway is faster on carpet. The thing you aren't getting is that running a oneway is a tuning option. Although few and far between, there are conditions where the oneway setup is faster. But just because you change the action of the front differential doesn't mean you must totally change the whole suspension setup making it unusually stiff and ill handling.

I hope you will realize that I'm not against you- I'm trying to help you. I said this before but I'll say it again- you would be a great asset to Team Xray if your research and reporting were usable information. The problem is that you are working outside the window of opportunity. Judging by your post you obviously think I'm not capable of using them there ten cent phrases like yourself (lol), but I'm not toally ignorant just cause I'm a fireman or I live in Tennessee. Let's say we are looking at our setup in a numberline style graph, and zero is the perfect Ralph Burch-Masami-it-just-won't-go-any-faster setup for our given car, and the postive side of the line is moving toward a stiffer setup and the negative side is progressively softer. Now for myself, which I'm typically a C-mainer at national level races, My window of opportunity might be a little bigger than Mike Dumas' (on both sides of the line) since I can't drive as well or accurate as he. But for our general purposes in this case, minor tuning changes within this window will affect the car's handling the same for me as for Mike. This is good information for me and Mike. But the information you are reporting are way outside the window of opportinuty here and while the results may be similar, they may not, and they might have a much larger affect or maybe much less than expected.

Well, I have to get to work now, but I hope this information will be useful to you.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Soviet:

Hi,

only two?????????. I have three one ways in my TC3. I have had them in since I ran rubber tires on carpet. it's fast everywhere expecpt when you need to stop !!!!!
Last year we ran a one-way on the layshaft on carpet on our 04 for most of the season with foams. my son liked it. and was fast enough to stay in the A at our club races. I never put a front one-way in mostly because I didn't have one.
with the TC3 I always ran at least one one-way (mostly a shaft) on carpet.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default TeamGP

I think you'll find this one-way setup a little too much for you to handle in my hands though. Come on down and get a whoopin!

Now that I'm off from work, "this is all in fun" I want be takin' any butt whoopin' anytime soon. we both started off around the same time but let's just say I'm a totally different animal. last year I was always in the C-main now I moved up to the upper B-main every blue moon I will make it into the A in stock, not the pro stock, expert stock or factory stock class just striaght up stock, as for coming down there when I do it will be during the summer, so we'll have to duke-it out with rubber tires
Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
...you would be a great asset to Team Xray if your research and reporting were usable information...But the information you are reporting are way outside the window of opportinuty here and while the results may be similar, they may not, and they might have a much larger affect or maybe much less than expected.
While the information I'm reporting may not be useable for you, it has been proven useful to others, including sponsored team drivers. As a matter of fact, I suspect you will be surprised where you find a lot of this information in the near future. And as such, I will continue to share it publicly for the XRAY community to use or disregard as they see fit.

Now it is commonly understood that every setup option has multiple effects and may or may not work between even *slightly* different overall setups. This is exactly why my posts are long and detailed, so as to give the reader a full understanding of the environment, outcome and the risks involved if they choose to implement any of the setup.

If you are indeed concerned with the quality of information that less experienced drivers read, then by all means start providing more detailed and informative posts on a more pro-active basis as I have. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm open to ideas. Just two weeks ago I adjusted my car's rear suspension to copy one of our local top drivers Corally standard diff setup, based on how his car handled in one critical section of the track AND his explanation making good sense from a chassis dynamics standpoint. And mind you, he is at the top of the list of the drivers who keep chanting to me, "...switch to a diff...". The results netted almost an entire lap to my overall best run with better consistency in the lap times. However, my cars handling did not get any worse on the other sections of the track where I continued to maintain certain advantages in speed.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

teamgp- although I wasn't behind the wheel to know how it felt, your car looked really fast on the track last week in NC. Send me over a set-up that you are reffering to for a one-way on foams. If it's not too far off where it would take me an hour to change over, I may give it a shot at the Novak race. I think if it drove consistent a one-way car is always faster on the clock.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would like to know what the best approach is to Lt/Rt chassis balance in a FK05 when switching from 3300's to 3800's. There seems to be about a 28 gram difference in the packs, and the car sits about a .5mm lower on the Rt side with the 3800's. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
teamgp- although I wasn't behind the wheel to know how it felt, your car looked really fast on the track last week in NC. Send me over a set-up that you are reffering to for a one-way on foams. If it's not too far off where it would take me an hour to change over, I may give it a shot at the Novak race. I think if it drove consistent a one-way car is always faster on the clock.
Here ya go. You can download it in PDF from the web page as well.

http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/xform...8&setup=t1fk05

The problem I have is with MY consistency.

Last edited by teamgp; 12-15-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M LANE
I would like to know what the best approach is to Lt/Rt chassis balance in a FK05 when switching from 3300's to 3800's. There seems to be about a 28 gram difference in the packs, and the car sits about a .5mm lower on the Rt side with the 3800's. Thanks for the help.
I have my Tekin G11 and spektrum reciever mounted in between the servo and motor with the heavier ESC close to the belt and the lighter weight receiver standing on its side with the top facing out away from the car. The antenna mast is shoo gooed to the side of the receiver that is facing up.

With a stock motor and a top fan mount with one fan attached over the motor endbell, the car is perfectly balanced in the rear. The C2's add 5g on the left side, but that is easily correctable by adjusting the spring tweak.

I have to add 5 to 15g of weight to the battery side when using mod motors though.

On the front, I have a lightweight Futaba 9550 servo with my PT mounted on top. I tried it at first with the PT mounted low and on the backside of the servo, but it made the left side just a tad heavier. With it mounted on top of the servo, close to the horn, this gives the front a perfect weight balance with IB3800's.

Last edited by teamgp; 12-15-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgp
... The C2's add 5g on the left side...

Your C2's are only 5 grams heavier thank stocks? what stock motors are you running? mine is 20 grams heavier than monster stocks...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by brians11
Your C2's are only 5 grams heavier thank stocks? what stock motors are you running? mine is 20 grams heavier than monster stocks...
His stock motors are weighed down with all that special sauce.... or could that be the tears of a Steelers fan?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brians11
Doh! Correction. With the stock motor, the rear is *almost* perfectly balanced using the Hudy chassis tools. But I'd guess that the motor side is a few grams heavier. In order to balance the rear out with a C2, I had to add a 10 gram (not 5) weight with a steel screw. I haven't actually weighed the two motors, but seeing as the weight is mounted in a different position than the motor, 20 grams may indeed be the difference.

Seeing as my car is already 40+ grams overweight (3mm chassis and adjustable/heavy top deck w/3 braces installed), I decided to use spring tweak to compensate with the 19t.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
His stock motors are weighed down with all that special sauce.... or could that be the tears of a Steelers fan?
Buckets and buckets of em...

But I like it better when we're underdogs. Sound familiar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.