Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T1FK05

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

someone was asking about the 84T 48P "H" spurs.... the spur runs great equivalent in quality to the PRS gears... but with the 2mm chassis.. it is very close to the bottom (1-2mm away from scraping). i dont think you can run an 87T without it rubbing.

roger: car is butta smooth. definitely happy i got it (now nick m. is busting my chops for not getting it sooner )
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rob Mincey
I say, don't. When I bought my first XRay (EVO 2 FOC,) a friend of mine told me not to because they'd never seal right again after that. I didn't listen, but he was right. I never could get them to work correctly after that. I've had good luck just cleaning them out with something like an RPM Bearing Blaster and re-oiling them without taking the shield off. Works for me.

Rob

ditto
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
someone was asking about the 84T 48P "H" spurs.... the spur runs great equivalent in quality to the PRS gears... but with the 2mm chassis.. it is very close to the bottom (1-2mm away from scraping). i dont think you can run an 87T without it rubbing.

roger: car is butta smooth. definitely happy i got it (now nick m. is busting my chops for not getting it sooner )
Chris have you always been this quick to change a chassis?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have tried 87T on my 2mm chassics..
it's okay as i observation....
but be sure the ride height don't too low...
and also...don't "jump over" the track....
Old 11-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madjack
Chris have you always been this quick to change a chassis?
actually.. im losing my touch. i used to be faster.. to think the longest i kept a car was 8 months.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Has anyone else running the Serpent shocks noticed that they are stiffer than the Xray shocks? I think it is due to the use of two o-rings instead of one. The piston holes are virtually the same size, and the difference between the inner diameter of the shock body and the diameter of the piston is also virtually identical.

I think this may cause the car not to be as free as it should. I've been having trouble with it being too stuck in the corners, and I'm wondering if this could be the cause. I'd like to try replacing one of the o-rings with a spacer instead, but unfortunately the C-clips in the shock bottoms are tiny and almost impossible to remove. Anybody know of the correct tool for the job? I made some somewhat makeshift pliers for the diff-C-rings by filing down a pair that was too big I bought at Sears. With the rings so small however I think the proper tool is needed.

Josh
Old 11-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

I was thinking about changing my shocks for Tamiya. Do Tamiya shocks fit Xray? The price for a full set of aluminum bodied shocks only $60 usd for 4. That's a steal for the best shocks in the RC world.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

They dont fit directly u need some other hardware but they will fit
Old 11-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedo
Has anyone else running the Serpent shocks noticed that they are stiffer than the Xray shocks? I think it is due to the use of two o-rings instead of one. The piston holes are virtually the same size, and the difference between the inner diameter of the shock body and the diameter of the piston is also virtually identical.

I think this may cause the car not to be as free as it should. I've been having trouble with it being too stuck in the corners, and I'm wondering if this could be the cause. I'd like to try replacing one of the o-rings with a spacer instead, but unfortunately the C-clips in the shock bottoms are tiny and almost impossible to remove. Anybody know of the correct tool for the job? I made some somewhat makeshift pliers for the diff-C-rings by filing down a pair that was too big I bought at Sears. With the rings so small however I think the proper tool is needed.

Josh
Do you think 1 or 2 step lighter shock oil will help...? Sounds like you are talking about the rebound reaction of the shock is slower due to 2 o-rings design......just try to learn and help here.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Josh
Josh,

The standard Xray pistons have (I believe) 1.1mm holes. The pistons in the new Serpent dampers have 1.0mm holes. Although this does not sound a great deal it actually works out to a big difference in fluid flow and considerably alters the point at which the flow will become turbulent (high speed damping or "pack in toy car speak)

You can work out the combined area of your piston holes using the following formula:

(Hole Dia Squared) * (3.142/4) * (number of holes) = area in mm/2

3 hole 1mm pistons will be the following:

(1x1) * (3.142/4) * (3)
= 1 * (0.7855) * 3
= 2.356mm

3 hole 1.1mm pistons will be the following:

(1.1x1.1) * (3.142/4) * 3
= 1.21 * (0.7855) * 3
= 2.851mm

After you work that out you can see that just going down 0.1mm on the hole size actually reduces your available flow area by just over 20%

For instance, if you used to use say 40wt oil with your Xray pistons, try 30wt in the Serpents and you should be good to go. High speed damping over bumps will be slightly different but I dont think you will notice it that much.

Alternatively buy a 1.1mm drill bit form a Hardware store and drill them out to 1.1mm!

HTH

Steve J
Old 11-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

I did try building a Sperpent shock with 20wt oil and #3 piston and it did feel similar to an Xray shock with 30wt and #4, but still probably stiffer.

I think it probably has to do with the difference in piston hole size, and the Serpent shocks becoming turbulent while the Xray shocks remain laminar. I measured the holes with a pair of calipers but it probably wasn't incredibly accurace. I didn't think the holes were even 1mm on either shock but I could be wrong. I have access to hundreds of dowel pins so I will find a pin that fits the Xray pistons and test it in the Serpent pistons, then have the Serpent pistons drilled out to the Xray size.

Thanks for the help
Josh
Old 11-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

I did try building a Sperpent shock with 20wt oil and #3 piston and it did feel similar to an Xray shock with 30wt and #4, but still probably stiffer.

I think it probably has to do with the difference in piston hole size, and the Serpent shocks becoming turbulent while the Xray shocks remain laminar. I measured the holes with a pair of calipers but it probably wasn't incredibly accurace. I didn't think the holes were even 1mm on either shock but I could be wrong. I have access to hundreds of dowel pins so I will find a pin that fits the Xray pistons and test it in the Serpent pistons, then have the Serpent pistons drilled out to the Xray size.

Thanks for the help
Josh
wow 20wt is really light... maybe its just the shocks
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Anyone recommend the lower hinge pin blocks for carpet?

Do they affect roll ceter? I'm also running a 3mm chassis.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Default Anyone know off hand if you can use the Corrally...

ceramic/thrust balls in the Xray05?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Anybody???

I can never seem to get any help here. Is this just a chat thread?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.