R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default "Best" Tamiya chassis and other Q's

Before you start plugging the chassis that won your last club race, lemme lay down a few ground rules:

- Box kit from Tamiya must cost less than $150 USD (and tell me where). eBay counts if you tell me what some of the other chassis are going for there. I know I can get a TB-02 kit for ~$130-140 + s&h, just wondering what other good options are.
- Kit has to be VERY durable, even kit stock. I may race it eventually, so it should be relatively lightweight, but I'd rather have FRN than carbon fiber for stuff like the body tub since my kits are mostly bashers (not literally, but more sidewalk than track).
- Should have hop-ups. Tamiya has pretty extensive hop-ups for almost all of their chassis, so this shouldn't be a problem. Bearings, shocks, and suspension top arms are probably all I'd swap out from kit stock.
- I prefer shaft drive for the durability, but I will consider a belt system with the right stuff
- Ease of assembly is not a factor. Ease of DISassembly is. I don't want to take the entire car apart to get to the front differential, like I have to with the TL-01 LA. I understand that quite a bit of tear-down is necessary for that kind of thing in any case, but the ENTIRE CHASSIS?
- I'm not really interested in the EVO chassis. It's the best, I know, but let's consider other options here.

I have an F-103 RS car that's pretty much restricted to indoor flat surfaces due to the clearance, and a TL-01 LA chassis that's far more suited to just taking it out on the sidewalk without sweeping. Tamiya advertises the TL-01 as "bulletproof" , and it does hold up pretty well running over bumps in the sidewalk and into walls, but the body plastic is ABS and awful thin, and the pack and motor are largely exposed. The TB-02's FRN bathtub might be better suited for harder use. I'm mildly interested in the TT-01 since it's got the bathtub and looks a bit lighter than the TB-02, but it's also advertised as "easy assembly", which translates to "beginner's kit, no adjustments" in my mind.

So, any thoughts on all of this? Is the TB-02 turning out to be a good chassis? Is the TT-01 even worth a look?

Last edited by Liko; 01-30-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Liko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I'm not really into Tamiya, but the TB-02 sounds like a good deal. Better than the TT-01 anyways, since the TB-02 is somewhat based off the TB Evo III. Maybe a TA-04 kit would work also......
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I race a TB02 kit on a weekly basis, b/c I'm cheap. I have a few hop ups (swingshafts, Alum. Shocks Etc...) but still running the bathtub chassis. Its heavy, and the chassis flexes, but I am still able to run with X rays, Evo, TRF, etc... and beat many of them. This is in a Closed endbell rubber tire class so the chassis flex isn't such an issue, but it is the tracks biggest class right now so all the big boys are running it.

All in all the TB 02 is a great kit, The TT01 is good for one thing and one thing only TCS spec class, its the only reason I have one. They cost about 90 bucks, and don't have bearings or oil filled shocks, add those and youve already exceaded the cost of a TB 02 and in all honesty its a far inferior design to the TB02. So for the money I don't think you can beat the TB02.

I love mine, but again I can't afford 400 for a car right now so I have what I have. There is a reason I call it a brick, but its a brick that works.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Tech Master
Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I know this may not be much help, but if you want a performer for that price, the ta04-trf is your car.

I have one also. Its already basically maxed out interms of upgrades. only problem is that its a stick pack runner. I saw one assembled for $200 usd on ebay.

I know its a bit out of your budget, but take a look at what it comes with, probably saves you $200 in upgrades.

Right out of the box, it comes with:
-Full bearings
-Front/Mid oneway
-Rear lightweight diff
-F/R sway bar. (Front sway bar set, 3 colors)
-Hardened suspension arms+uprights
- Harden Spur gear set
- TRF threaded aluminum shocks (flourine coated)
(not done yet...)
Just to mention a few.

Here's the website:

The only upgrade I did on the chassis was to modify it to take a side by side pack.

Also, I know you were looking for a shaft, but belt is less maintanance IMO, only two gears that need replacing, and I haven't replaced my front belt racing for a year now, still runs awesome. (Replaced the rear because i caught a rock once, jammed my diff and ripped my belt)

Diff is easy to adjust, just pop loose the camberlink, unhook the dogbone, and you can tighten your diff.

If you want, PM me, and I will give you some details on making the car more competitive...
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

From your requirements it sounds like the TB-02 fits your needs. It's a great chassis that can be bought at the right price and can be optioned out quite nicely. Personally, I love the belt drive cars so my choice would be any TA04S, TA04R, TA04TRF. The "R" should fit in your budget nicely and still gives you most of the good hop ups but still retains the tub carbon chassis. Parts are easy to get. Keep your eyes on Ebay or the RCTECH classifieds. They do show up. Also, post a "wanted" ad in the classifieds.....I'll bet you get a response pretty quickly. Good Luck
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
Tech Master
Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Yea, i agree with evoracer. the "R" is a good choice, the TB-02 is a good choice too.

But my prime choice is still the ta04-TRF. The parts that come with the ta04-TRF are already the best ever made for the line.

Slightly more expensive, but in the long run far cheaper. I had a TL01 2 years ago and spent over $200 on it for upgrades... and grew out of it in 6 months (I couldn't even set a negative camber on that thing without paying more) so I got a ta04TRF a year ago, spent $0 on upgrading it (only replacing damaged parts due to my stupidity and driving skills). And haven't needed an upgrade since.

One thing the ta04R and ta04trf definately surpasses the tb02, is the suspension system. the ta04R/trf uses shocks that run in today's fastest cars like the 415 (next to no modifications if any). And the materials of the gears and suspension arms cannot compare.

I like the ta04trf alot that's why i am so hard selling it. So excuse me if i sound pushy.

Leave a reply when you decide what toget, will be interesting to know.

Good Luck.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Tech Addict

you can buy my evo 3 for 150 dollars....its used but its much better than the tb-02.....just ad 15dollars for freight.
cooliomojo-CEBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
Tech Master

IMO The TRF 414 was the best Tamiya chassis made The only Tamiya (besides the TB Evo III) that I didn't have to run a completely off-the-wall setup to get hooked up with and fast.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. The EVO sounds good, but I'd rather build it myself. For me, that's half the fun right there.

I guess I'll have to take a good look at the TA-04 series. If my memory serves, my physics teacher, who got me and a couple other students building F103 chassis cars (I think we had my McLaren, a Ferrari, and the teacher's Lotus, but I digress), also had a Subaru Impreza that was a 1-1/2 deck CF 2-belt 4-wheel drive, which sounds a lot like the TA-04. Looked very complex (of course I could only compare it to the F103), but was very light. Trouble is I'm not seeing as many NIB TA04 kits these days. I'll take a good look at this and the TB-02. Maybe in a couple paychecks I can get one or the other.
Liko is offline   Reply With Quote