Before you start plugging the chassis that won your last club race, lemme lay down a few ground rules:
- Box kit from Tamiya must cost less than $150 USD (and tell me where). eBay counts if you tell me what some of the other chassis are going for there. I know I can get a TB-02 kit for ~$130-140 + s&h, just wondering what other good options are.
- Kit has to be VERY durable, even kit stock. I may race it eventually, so it should be relatively lightweight, but I'd rather have FRN than carbon fiber for stuff like the body tub since my kits are mostly bashers (not literally, but more sidewalk than track).
- Should have hop-ups. Tamiya has pretty extensive hop-ups for almost all of their chassis, so this shouldn't be a problem. Bearings, shocks, and suspension top arms are probably all I'd swap out from kit stock.
- I prefer shaft drive for the durability, but I will consider a belt system with the right stuff
- Ease of assembly is not a factor. Ease of DISassembly is. I don't want to take the entire car apart to get to the front differential, like I have to with the TL-01 LA. I understand that quite a bit of tear-down is necessary for that kind of thing in any case, but the ENTIRE CHASSIS?
- I'm not really interested in the EVO chassis. It's the best, I know, but let's consider other options here.
I have an F-103 RS car that's pretty much restricted to indoor flat surfaces due to the clearance, and a TL-01 LA chassis that's far more suited to just taking it out on the sidewalk without sweeping. Tamiya advertises the TL-01 as "bulletproof"
, and it does hold up pretty well running over bumps in the sidewalk and into walls, but the body plastic is ABS and awful thin, and the pack and motor are largely exposed. The TB-02's FRN bathtub might be better suited for harder use. I'm mildly interested in the TT-01 since it's got the bathtub and looks a bit lighter than the TB-02, but it's also advertised as "easy assembly", which translates to "beginner's kit, no adjustments" in my mind.
So, any thoughts on all of this? Is the TB-02 turning out to be a good chassis? Is the TT-01 even worth a look?