R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Car Bodies Made for Specific Cars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/616238-car-bodies-made-specific-cars.html)

wcalaker 04-05-2012 10:27 PM

Car Bodies Made for Specific Cars

I would gladly pay $10 more dollars for a body specifically made with a dimple or precut holes in it so it would go on perfectly.

Would it cost that much more to produce bodies for specific models?

I would love to see a Mazda Speed 6 for TC6.1 on the shelf

Dan 04-05-2012 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by wcalaker (Post 10565873)
I would gladly pay $10 more dollars for a body specifically made with a dimple or precut holes in it so it would go on perfectly.

No, bunch of dimples can be added onto the mold for various cars. But 99% would probably not pay the extra $10. :lol:

Personally I just line up the body mount holes as best I can. Once I ream out the holes, then I place the body in normal height and cut out the wheel wells with my circle cutter.

MrUnlimited 04-05-2012 11:53 PM

I always had RIDE leightweigth accord bodies for my touringcars. Very beutifull and enough downforce on the front for cornering.

terry.sc 04-06-2012 05:45 AM

It wouldn't cost any extra, but it would have to have dimples to cover every current touring car on the market and you would have to make sure you chose the right dimples when making holes. Having ready marked holes doesn't help much unless you are mounting it exactly where the body manufacturer wants you to, others mount the body further forwards or backwards to adjust aerodynamic balance so the dimples wouldn't make it much easier to mount.

If you are using the same body to replace yours, then marking body holes is easy. Take your old body and trim it back so all you have left is the roof/window section and the parts front and rear that includes the body mount holes. Drop this over the top of the new body and you've got the location for the body holes.

cartix 04-06-2012 06:12 AM

Tamiya and HPI bodies have dimples for their respective chassis.

or8ital 04-06-2012 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cartix (Post 10566566)
Tamiya and HPI bodies have dimples for their respective chassis.

The HPI dimples dont fit for all HPI cars. In fact I don't know which ones they do fit for but non I had ever tried.

or8ital 04-06-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by terry.sc (Post 10566488)
It wouldn't cost any extra, but it would have to have dimples to cover every current touring car on the market and you would have to make sure you chose the right dimples when making holes. Having ready marked holes doesn't help much unless you are mounting it exactly where the body manufacturer wants you to, others mount the body further forwards or backwards to adjust aerodynamic balance so the dimples wouldn't make it much easier to mount.

If you are using the same body to replace yours, then marking body holes is easy. Take your old body and trim it back so all you have left is the roof/window section and the parts front and rear that includes the body mount holes. Drop this over the top of the new body and you've got the location for the body holes.

It would still work. At least it would give you the relative position. You just would need to punch all your holes X distance in front of or behind the dimple.

I think the bigger issue is the wheel cutouts though. Not every car has the same wheelbase and that is the bigger issue I see.

MikeXray 04-06-2012 06:25 AM

if you are willing to pay extra (I'm not since it's way to easy to mount a body), buy one extra body, line it up clear, make dimples with a reamer, then move to your next car, make dimples, repeat. At the end trim just the roof, hood and trunk area out of the body, you now have a template that you can lay on a new body, even painted and mark out the holes you need.

There are also 2-3 different type of body mount posts, one with lights, a few with pins, that you can use to help mount a painted body.

Norman2 04-06-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 10566570)
The HPI dimples dont fit for all HPI cars. In fact I don't know which ones they do fit for but non I had ever tried.

Hi, If you check an HPI body on their site at the bottom of the page
it tells you which model the body fits. Regards
Norman2

Six_Shooter 04-06-2012 07:41 AM

The dimples on my HPI 240Z body line up with the suggested post locations on the HPI chassis, just fine.

Personally, I don't like the dimples, I'd prefer they weren't there at all. There will still be some un-used dimples on the body when done, and it takes away from the clean look.

mooby64 04-06-2012 10:17 AM

If you stick with the same body, just take an old beat up body, cut off the front abs rear ends [leaving the post holes intact on the body] and use the old body as a template. Problem solved!!!!

Monteman 04-06-2012 10:25 AM

i bought a set of post hole markers from dynamite. work like a hot damn.
dynamite part # 5145

goots 04-08-2012 01:55 AM

since im lazy mounting bodies for my TCX. Ive been using the HB bodies, subaru a,b,and c. It much easier to have a body specifically for a chassis. I might say the different look of them will keep me away from the same old protoform bodies everyone runs.