Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Brushless Motor Thread >

Brushless Motor Thread

Brushless Motor Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Exe
what the hell is with them? what's the stupid difference if it is wounded in one way or another? why they can't allow all windings? i don't get it...
AFAIK, if you do no limitation on winding on brushless, brushed got no chance at all. Especially when you see brushed motor is limited on magnet material (ceramic only, no rare material), but brushless allow Neodymium and/or Ferrite magnet.

Just imaging if your brushless motor got 5poles, pentagon winding, rare material magnet, etc. How fast will that be?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

so let it be.. why not? it's gonna be too fast or what? but why allow only two stupid brushless motors when there are 10s availbale more!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Exe
so let it be.. why not? it's gonna be too fast or what? but why allow only two stupid brushless motors when there are 10s availbale more!
I guess the point is: the rule is finally here. If manufacture wanna play the game, they gotta follow the rule. If Hacker or other company wanna do the racing with IFMAR rule, I'm sure they can make a new motor to fit the rule in no time. The real question is: will them? Most of current brushless motor makers are not focus on touring car but other application like airplane/chopper. Will they join the new market under the IFMAR rule is still a big Q.

At least we got the brushless rule now, that's the only thing that matter for me as racer.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

Originally posted by ttso
I guess the point is: the rule is finally here. If manufacture wanna play the game, they gotta follow the rule. If Hacker or other company wanna do the racing with IFMAR rule, I'm sure they can make a new motor to fit the rule in no time. The real question is: will them? Most of current brushless motor makers are not focus on touring car but other application like airplane/chopper. Will they join the new market under the IFMAR rule is still a big Q.

At least we got the brushless rule now, that's the only thing that matter for me as racer.

you are right, but there is interesting thing, at least in efra, where brushless allow, motor limit is 1 turn or something like that, i.e. no moto limit actually... show me brushless motor which is capable of running at par with 7-8 turn motor... novak ss5800 or new lrp?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Exe
you are right, but there is interesting thing, at least in efra, where brushless allow, motor limit is 1 turn or something like that, i.e. no moto limit actually... show me brushless motor which is capable of running at par with 7-8 turn motor... novak ss5800 or new lrp?
So far, no matter what gear ratio I use, new pack or old pack, SS5800 is just a little bit faster than stock 23T. The only thing I haven't try is matched battery (was using new IB3600) but I don't think that will save SS5800 from "a bit faster than 23T" to "same speed with 8T". Therefore, for modify racing, SS5800 is 100% too slow to against 8T.

I haven't see Novak's new system (probably SS5800 motor with a new ESC) and LRP Sphere ESC + Reedy NEO1 motor combination by myself since they haven't release yet. But from what I read on ROAR Nats report, they are fast enough to compete with 8T if not faster. So waiting for new system is a must for modify racing.

I think I will get Novak's new system if the only different is ESC. But if the motor also different from SS5800, than I need to evaluate is Novak faster? or LRP+Reedy faster? Also the size, weight, price issue. We will see....
Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think what I'll do is submit the rule as listed and also submit a modified version which takes out the stamping on the end bell, the wind type and maybe change the demensions slightly to allow any thing and see which one gets passed.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Exe
Tech Regular

novak isn't fast simply.. no matter what you use.. maybe with new esc it will help, but still it su.... i tried with matched batteries, doesn't make any difference. lrp should be a little more powerful, but still i really doubt, it can keep up with par with good mods...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Exe
novak isn't fast simply.. no matter what you use.. maybe with new esc it will help, but still it su.... i tried with matched batteries, doesn't make any difference. lrp should be a little more powerful, but still i really doubt, it can keep up with par with good mods...
Well, ROAR Nats 1/12 mods is scored by LRP Sphere ESC + Reedy NEO1 motor combination. Novak's new system also quite well on result. I guess you can read this: http://www.teamnovak.com/events/05ca...nroadnats.html

So was new brushless which within IFMAR's rule ready to compete with 8T? I think the answer is 100% yes. The only questions left are when? and how much? I hope it won't be too far away, and surly not something 500usd system...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

show me brushless motor which is capable of running at par with 7-8 turn motor... novak ss5800 or new lrp?
as far as I can tell the Plettenberg shadow could keep up with 7 and 8 turn motors. I know it isn't roar legal, but who cares, roar has seen it's day.

The reason that I believe that roar instated the wye wind only rule is because novak said to. novak believes it is the better winding pattern, but there are hundreds of other motors out there that disagree. All current production brushed motors are delta wound... so wye (pardon the pun) the inconsistancy between the two? I think we are going to see major changes in the rules in the next couple of years. We will just have to see what happens.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kufman
as far as I can tell the Plettenberg shadow could keep up with 7 and 8 turn motors. I know it isn't roar legal, but who cares, roar has seen it's day.

The reason that I believe that roar instated the wye wind only rule is because novak said to. novak believes it is the better winding pattern, but there are hundreds of other motors out there that disagree. All current production brushed motors are delta wound... so wye (pardon the pun) the inconsistancy between the two? I think we are going to see major changes in the rules in the next couple of years. We will just have to see what happens.

yes, there are real fast brushless motors, but the problem is that they use delta winding, not y... and y is confirmed not only by roar, also by efra
Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hmmmm that really sucks!!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

that's simply stupid...
Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Why didn't the poeple writing these rules just let brushless do it thing? Keep a 'Stock' type motor with KV of around 5000 (25,000rpm at 5v) and inside a certain price, and a mild modified under the same sore of rule (KV and price) just a bit higher,and just let the open modified work its self out. Brushlees is the way to go just let it happen, stop trying to hold it back.
Eddie
Old 04-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default UForce75 Question

What is everyone setting the #2 DIL switch to, ON or OFF?
OFF is the learning NP only and ON is fixed travel.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.