fried motor?

Old 01-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default fried motor?

I just fried my epic binary2 stock... i think

i thought i was having problems with my esc (a fairly old GM v3r) where i couldnt get power to the motor. i could control the servo, so i was a little baffled as all my connections were fine. so i left the esc on and started fiddling with connections, trying my radio from time to time. I started to hear a little sizzle and promptly disconnected my batteries and shut off the esc. to my dismay a nice smoke trail was coming out of the motor. It had siezed and it was all i could do to break it free.

i had never ran the motor before trying to test it just now. guess im buying new elecs. So is my motor screwed? i took it apart and it looks fine, just some blackness on that green part of the come (motor newb here). Or is it my esc? or both?

it would suck to have to buy a new motor & esc this close to a club event, considering how rare races are around here
Old 01-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smoke is Bad!!!
Have another racer help you check out the motor and speed control. Even if the motor is ok for now, I would not trust it for long.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

yea thats my concern. its not seized now, but i fear ive shortened its life considerably.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If smoke started coming out, the motor will never run at 100% again....will still make a good practice motor though.

Later EddieO
Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

I would just use that motor as a papper weight and buy a new one. Like a tuned monster stock. Stay away from the bianary ones have seen to many go up in smoke
Old 01-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Send EddieO an Email and get yourself a good Monster Stock from br00d. Howards right, smoke isn't a good thing. The ESC may still be fine though.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

do these things come with a warranty or anything? this is the first time ive actually tried to run it.

so basically everything on this motor is screwed? Could i buy a new armature, can or endbell?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

if your in tight with your LHS they might exchange it. There is never a warranty on motors...when you buy it..... its yours.

in the long run its not worth trying to save what ya have. just buy a new motor BRO
Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

no problem there, im giving a p2k2 a try. depending on how active my club will be this year ill definatly be going for a tuned motor (monster based).

thanks for your help.