Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

A temp-probe used alone CANT false peak (unless you use a ligther or similar to heat the probe up ). But using a temp-probe as the only cut off method is risky... forget mounting that probe, and the pack goes BOOM...
This is true, our new dual charger allows you to specify one of four modes using the built-in temp probes, so you can OR which uses either one, or AND would can't false peak, but does require the batteries are placed on top of the charger, as it is designed for.
Temp alone is also possible, however, because of the built-in cooling fan, some well-matched packs will peak without getting very warm. This increases battery life, heat is the enemy of batteries.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Jack: Great idea.....

I think 2 chargers in one box is a GREAT idea...
Old 02-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

The APS Dyno-Charge (er) does have a peak lock-out function. This dis-ables the delta peak detect for the first 600 or so seconds of the charge to reduce chances of a false peak if your pack is somewhat discharged.

I've read in the instructions that the APS charger also uses PWM technology so it doesn't actually draw as much amp as it outputs. It says PWM is also why the charger stays cool and quiet.

I got mine for 3 weeks now and its excellent. A small unit to bring to the track that does both motor testing and battery charging. The buttons were a little hard to press at first but those buttons either it needs some break in time for I've adjusted my fingers cause they feel pretty good now after some use.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tres
Jack: Great idea.....

I think 2 chargers in one box is a GREAT idea...
What about 3 chargers then??

I own a Schulze electronics and it is 3 chargers at the same time!

1 outputs up to 10Amp
2 outputs up to 5Amp
3 outputs up to 2Amp

Discharges at same rate exept the first one with the addition of one extra item you can get up to 25Amp discharge

Nick
Old 02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by nimble
This is true, our new dual charger allows you to specify one of four modes using the built-in temp probes, so you can OR which uses either one, or AND would can't false peak, but does require the batteries are placed on top of the charger, as it is designed for.
Temp alone is also possible, however, because of the built-in cooling fan, some well-matched packs will peak without getting very warm. This increases battery life, heat is the enemy of batteries.
I thought that according to most of the cell matchers that heat actually is NOT the enemy of todays batteries, and that they actually LIKE to get a little toasty and if you run a fan on them it will build up the cells IR and actually decrease the cells performance??
Old 02-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think that is true, and a bad idea to cool them. Although too much heat is bad. Maybe 130 max? when charged at a good rate.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally posted by nnick
What about 3 chargers then??

I own a Schulze electronics and it is 3 chargers at the same time!

1 outputs up to 10Amp
2 outputs up to 5Amp
3 outputs up to 2Amp

Discharges at same rate exept the first one with the addition of one extra item you can get up to 25Amp discharge

Nick
yes, the ecolader select is good...3-in-1 charger...
Old 02-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
I thought that according to most of the cell matchers that heat actually is NOT the enemy of todays batteries, and that they actually LIKE to get a little toasty and if you run a fan on them it will build up the cells IR and actually decrease the cells performance??
The matcher's interested in two things: Speed and that we as customers should by more cells... some more heat will ensure both

Personally, I believe that the hotter the cells is, the lower the IR and the shorter the lifetime. So it's a matter of finding your personal magic spot between speed and lifetime. A guy at our track charges at 5 amps for practise and 6 for races. Might be a good idea...

Personally, I'm using the Eagle CDC 6.0B, which makes the cells quite warm (often peak at 60 deg. celsius). A 10 month old Fukuyama matched pack, delivers the same IR, capasity and average voltage after 28 runs, as it did after 3. However, the voltage curve has changed sligthly, it's flattend a little out, meaning sligthly lower voltage in the beginning, and a little higher in the end. Probably not an issue for mod, but for stock I would like to have the highest voltage in the first 5 minutes To give you an idea of the initial voltage decrease, after 2 minutes, the pack originally delivered 7,151, and now it's 7,105. This is at 20 amps. I tend to say this would have been the same with another charger, which keep the peak temp 10 degrees celsius lower. But since I dont have a control pack, I cant tell for sure.

Just for the record: I charge at 6 amps and 3 mV peak detect / cell. After the practise/race, I discharge at 20 amps down to 0,8 volt/cell. Immediately before next use, I equalize at one amp down to 0,8 volt pr. cell.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 02-05-2005 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default hotter batteries faster?

The matcher's interested in two things: Speed and that we as customers should by more cells... some more heat will ensure both
I was going to say something similiar.. I haven't seen anyone offering a battery heater and claiming it gives you more power, but in this market somehow I wouldn't be surprised. SuperBrain makes a big deal it keeps its batteries cooler than other charges, perhaps they should change their marketing message.

Our charger's cooling fan has an adjustable speed, so if you're one to believe hotter batteries will make you faster, then turn off the fan, the batteries sit above the power supply which generates heat, so you can get a battery warming charger.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

I have seen hotter batt give far more voltage under load than one that has cooled down, but I don't think that artificially heating them would do the same.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

I have seen hotter batt give far more voltage under load than one that has cooled down, but I don't think that artificially heating them would do the same.
Here we agree my friend. It's not the heat, but the "allowed to cool down" part. Batteries have peak performance when used immediately after being fully charged. It's not that they are hot, that is a side-effect (and a bad one) of being fully charged. If you cool them WHILE they are being charged, they will perform just as well, but they will have longer life.

If you don't pay for your batteries, then this is not really an issue...
Old 02-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I think I can go along with that too. I agree.