Wiki Posts
Search

Always Novak ESC???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default Always Novak ESC???

Well, i want to start races again.
I will buy a TRF 415MS and now searching for other stuff.
First I want to buy a new ESC.
I have ended up in two:
Novak GTX and LRP Quantum Competition 2.
I remember that always I used to have Novak, about 4 years ago.
Just checking.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Well, both esc's are great bits of electronics.
For me the choice here would be reliability. That would nudge me towards Novak.
LRP claims the Q2 to be waterproof wich it isn't! Good example here is the Euro finals 2004. A sh*tload of Q2's went POOF when it started to rain.
Novak on the otherhand doesn't advertice anything their esc doesn't do. The last dead Novak i saw was a 410HPC (10 years old) 2 years ago.
Hope it helps you deciding.

Regards
Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a couple of my friends have had the gtx's. 1 was fine .the other persons was only giving him half throttle. so..... my quantum blew up , so i got aanother and it has been working fine since!-hope this helps--------lil b
Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

I have the Futaba Mc800C which is the same as they LRP. I had it for about 3 months when it blew up. Sent it in and about 3 weeks later they sent me a new one. Have used it about 5 races since and this past weekend it was a pain in the butt to reset. The buttons in it would work sometimes on the first press and sometimes it would take 10 presses.....then again sometimes 1 press would make it jump 3 settings at once.

When I ever get the money or decide to get something else I am going Novak.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a GT7 the first one I bought would stutter horribly. Called novak, was kinda pissed since it didn't work outta the box, they wouldn't send me a new one till I sent them my old one even if I did it through the hobby shop I bought it from. Finally we struck a deal after much yelling where they charged $400 onto my credit card and credited it back when they got my old ESC, they then went on to send me a letter stating that the original ESC had no issues even though at least a dozen people all saw that it didn't work right including the owner of the hobby shop. They said it was a one time courtousey that they wouldn't let the $400 charge stick, but I still had to pay shipping. So my $140 speedo cost me $170 bucks since I needed a new one two dayed out to make a race. I will never again buy a novak product.

LRP on the other hand... I had a cheap LRP quantum sport that I fried, nobodies fault but my own, well they gladly fixed it at no cost to me, paid shipping both ways. Now that is service. My next speedo will deffinatly be an LRP.

On the flip side after all the issues with my novak it does work fine, but I HATE that stupid diode and that cap you have to mount. Dumb set up if you ask me.

I've been racing for a lot of years and I've fried a half dozen Novak's, One LRP, and Never a Tekin. and I've owned just as many of each brand. Never had a novak I didn't have a problem with at some point.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Has anyone tryed the new Ko, and how do they like it?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have you considered the GM SX12. I just got one and although it isn;t the easiest to setup it does though have great features. I moved the QC2 that was in my Yok SD and put the QC2 into my T4 also I have another QC2 in my Yok TC Mini which neither has ever given me a problem> i also have Novak Dually and the old Tempest as only back up ESC's both have given me trouble and they are destined to be back ups forever. Now the Ko Propo is real nice. I would look at all of them and deside these things.
1) Are you going to race many races or just around your local sence? If the latter then I would go for budget as once you get into the $100+ range things really start looking the same.
2) Do you trust the company you are planing on buying from?
3) Do you want the smallest (if so I have found none smaller (including the capasitor) than the GM SX12) althought the QC2 doesn;t require it anyway.
4) Do you trust the opinions of perfect stangers????LOL
Just look at all the really fast guys where you race, what are they driving and go ask them what they like and the best question to ask someone is what they don;t like about there ESC...Like I said about the GM SX12 is that it isn;t that easy to set-up but once it is it is great.
Hope all the rambling has helped somehow.
Thanks for listening,
Stephen <><
Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

yep, i have an sx12 that runs extremely well. a big thumbs up for that speeder.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by seaball
yep, i have an sx12 that runs extremely well. a big thumbs up for that speeder.
Why it is so unknown I don't know?
Masami used one to win the 12th scale worlds with....If it is good enough for him you know it is more than I need LOL (HE IS MY HERO)LOL

Yea the spec's are better than the QC2 and the GTX number for number.
Although the Keyence does have the best numbers but man it is huge in comparison.
Just my two pennies
Stephen <><
Old 01-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go with Tekin. The G10 would be an excellent choice. It is light weight and has plenty of power. 2nd. choice would be the LRP Q2. The Tekin is very programable. The LRP is smaller.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

3 LRP's, no issues with any of them (knock on wood), I have used Novak in the past (2-cyclones, Dually,GT-7) with almost no problems, 1 cyclone melted down due to bad fet, novak promptly took care of this issue.
BUT if I had only one or two R/C's to deal with I'd seriously look at the Keyence Rapida Pro, I have yet to find one bad post about this esc. There a bit pricey but probably worth the extra $$.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie

1) Are you going to race many races or just around your local sence? If the latter then I would go for budget as once you get into the $100+ range things really start looking the same.
2) Do you trust the company you are planing on buying from?
3) Do you want the smallest (if so I have found none smaller (including the capasitor) than the GM SX12) althought the QC2 doesn;t require it anyway.
4) Do you trust the opinions of perfect stangers????LOL

Thanks for listening,
Stephen <><
Well i will go at first for local races.
Two friends of mine have Novak GTX.
I will search for some extra spec info for other brands and I will decide.

Also i would like to say that the opinions of ''perfect strangers'' have helped me in a lot of problems!
Thank you all!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

well i have had the novak dually for about 2 years and it has never had a single problem with it......and now i have the gtx witch is heaps better abnd seems to help my batts and its mutch smoother.....

NOVAK#1
Old 01-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

all i gotta say is love my keyence two years no problems at all.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by mugenracer
Has anyone tryed the new Ko, and how do they like it?
Yes. I have 2 of the KO VFS 2000's and recently picked up a VFS-1. The 1 feels like it has more punch and it has much more fine tuning.