Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

The most logical explanation it seems to me about the diff height effects has to do with moving the CG higher.... Higher CG = more chassis roll, and Lower CG = less chassis roll. Maybe there is some other effects as well, such as the driveshafts wanting to be straight, but the roll is a function of the CG in relation to the roll center. The further apart they are, the more effect or leverage there is.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO the effect of raising the diff is small. The effect on CG height can be calculated and I would guess it to be in the .2 to .5mm range depending on if one or both are raised. I agree this is probably the single biggest effect.

Reducing the diameter of the diff pulley will reduce the rotating mass of the of the pulley and drive belts. That will reduce spin-up time of the rotating components. Again small effect.

Gyro effect of smaller pulley will also be small, the diff itself is still the same size and weight so it is only the pulley that is changed. I don't think raising it would change the gyro effect. Any axle gyro forces would be small too as gyro effects are a function of the radius^2 which is small for an axle.

I guess basically it's a lot of small effects which can add up. Would be hard to quantify though.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Some more of the latest TC's added to the model library. Now available for import into RC3.

AE TC7
VBC D08
Yokomo BD7 '14
Yokomo BD7 '16
Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Dealing with 'camber slop' when translating values from the software model to the physical car. Seems like most of my cars have 0.5 to 1.0 degree of slop which is not evident at rest or on setup blocks unless one pushes the setup blocks out slightly at the top.

For example if I set 0.5 camber on the wheels at rest, once the car starts cornering that 0.5 becomes zero before any force can be transmitted through the tire.

Wondering how others deal with this or if everyone els's car has no slop.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ic-racer
Dealing with 'camber slop' when translating values from the software model to the physical car. Seems like most of my cars have 0.5 to 1.0 degree of slop which is not evident at rest or on setup blocks unless one pushes the setup blocks out slightly at the top.

For example if I set 0.5 camber on the wheels at rest, once the car starts cornering that 0.5 becomes zero before any force can be transmitted through the tire.

Wondering how others deal with this or if everyone els's car has no slop.
Everyone I know sets the car up at .5mm higher than desired camber when using a setup station.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

I got the software and works fine but I can't download files from the homepage!? Right click doesn't give me the option ''Save File As'' like there are no files!?

Thanks for help.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

I just tried it and it worked fine. Make sure you are right clicking on the model name.

Could be something to do with you Firewall or AV settings. If you can't get it to work let me know which files you want I will email them to you.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been using the trial version for a few days now and this software has me so excited I could **** myself. Really takes the guesswork out of a TON factors. Best weapon in the pit bag. I do however wonder why rear toe and anti-squat aren't factored in as well as changing the front arm angles? Those definitely play a factor in traction and grip. BTW...I'm experiencing numerous bugs in the trial version that I hope go away with a paid version such as changes made and saved on one tab don't get transferred to the others. Its a bit frustrating to make changes and save them then have to go through the settings on another tab to make sure they changed and find that they didn't. This defeats the purpose of having a "save" function so I'm hoping this is just part of the reduced functionality of the trial version.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
I've been using the trial version for a few days now and this software has me so excited I could **** myself. Really takes the guesswork out of a TON factors. Best weapon in the pit bag. I do however wonder why rear toe and anti-squat aren't factored in as well as changing the front arm angles? Those definitely play a factor in traction and grip. BTW...I'm experiencing numerous bugs in the trial version that I hope go away with a paid version such as changes made and saved on one tab don't get transferred to the others. Its a bit frustrating to make changes and save them then have to go through the settings on another tab to make sure they changed and find that they didn't. This defeats the purpose of having a "save" function so I'm hoping this is just part of the reduced functionality of the trial version.
What you may be encountering regarding saving changes is that when you make changes on the Weight Transfer Sheet or Dynamic sheets these changes are not automatically transferred to the current setup. There is a button on each of those pages that allows you to either update the current setup or create a new one.

If this is not the case then if you can provide some details of the bugs you have encountered I will fix them.

I am continuously working on updating the program and just like anything it takes time and effort. Kind of like why don't the RC manufacturers just come up with the perfect car to start with so we don't have to buy new versions all the time. Toe and squat is something that will be included in a future update.

Right now I am in the final testing stage of adding Damping Models to RC3. It will allow you to see the effect of changing piston hole sizes, hole numbers, oil viscosity and temperature. This update should be out very soon.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BobW
What you may be encountering regarding saving changes is that when you make changes on the Weight Transfer Sheet or Dynamic sheets these changes are not automatically transferred to the current setup. There is a button on each of those pages that allows you to either update the current setup or create a new one.

If this is not the case then if you can provide some details of the bugs you have encountered I will fix them.

I am continuously working on updating the program and just like anything it takes time and effort. Kind of like why don't the RC manufacturers just come up with the perfect car to start with so we don't have to buy new versions all the time. Toe and squat is something that will be included in a future update.

Right now I am in the final testing stage of adding Damping Models to RC3. It will allow you to see the effect of changing piston hole sizes, hole numbers, oil viscosity and temperature. This update should be out very soon.
Say I make a change to the rear spring on the weight transfer tab and then click "copy new settings to setup". I'm immediately taken to the "setup" tab and you can see the change but if I now select the dynamics tab, that change is not reflected and it still on the previous setting. But if I do the same thing under the dynamics tab and save it to setup, then it reflects on all the tabs. So far any change that is made on the weight transfer tab and saved to setup doesn't get transferred to the other tabs. Also there's an issue of having to manually change the CG on each tab. If I change it on one and save to setup it doesn't get transferred to the others. And I'm a little confused at how to get these settings changes saved under the main page tabs to transfer to the chassis manager and car manager. I probably am just not understanding how you designed that to work. Don't get me wrong Bob, I am by NO MEANS complaining. Was just trying to rule out that my computer has issues or there was a bug in the latest download. Everything in life is always a work in progress and is always being improved. Nothing is perfect right outta the box and just when we think we have something perfected we discover something else to tweak. The never ending cycle of pursuing our idea of perfection. Your software has sparked a new fire in me as it drastically reduces setup time and gives a far greater understanding of how making one change affects another. This is worth its weight in gold!!! Takes all the guesswork and tail-chasing out of trying to get a good balanced setup on race weekend. And if you get the damping data added that would take things to a whole new level on setup. Still curious about how to approach rear-toe, anti-squat and front arm angle now that I can create a balanced car with your software. Will make those changes last after getting a balanced setup with RC Crewchief. Thank you for your hard work and dedication!!!

Last edited by RoketRdr; 06-25-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 06-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

If you make a change on the Weight Transfer page and use "Copy New Settings to Setup" the setup gets updated to reflect the new values but the settings on the other tabs remain unchanged. To get everything to update requires re-selecting the current setup or selecting a new setup from the list. I have thought of doing it as you suggest but since you are the first person to comment on it haven't felt the need. You make a good point though.

To change the CG position permanently you need to change it in the "Car Manager". The intent here is the CG position is a measured value so it shouldn't be changed unless there is justification. Using the Wheelbase/Track Width/CG Position Form is just to provide a quick method of comparing the effect of changing other variables.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BobW
If you make a change on the Weight Transfer page and use "Copy New Settings to Setup" the setup gets updated to reflect the new values but the settings on the other tabs remain unchanged. To get everything to update requires re-selecting the current setup or selecting a new setup from the list. I have thought of doing it as you suggest but since you are the first person to comment on it haven't felt the need. You make a good point though.

To change the CG position permanently you need to change it in the "Car Manager". The intent here is the CG position is a measured value so it shouldn't be changed unless there is justification. Using the Wheelbase/Track Width/CG Position Form is just to provide a quick method of comparing the effect of changing other variables.
IMO I recommend changing how it saves because I was under the impression that saving a change reflected in the other tabs on the current setup. I was playing around with changes and couldn't figure out why things weren't adding up and something seemed off. That's when I discovered that the changes weren't being reflected into the other tabs so when I thought I was working off one set of parameters I was actually operating off another. Clicking on a save feature and then having to manually make the same change in the rest of the setup just isn't right Bob. I do certainly see your point with the CG and track width though now that I think about it. That's not something you want accidentally getting changed across the board throughout the setup and is pretty critical. Now that I know to go make the change in the car manager if I want it to be permanent all will be well. That gives the ability to play with it a little in the setup to see how it would affect the car without accidentally making it permanent.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Will you be adding the awesomatix a800
Thank you
Old 06-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver
Will you be adding the awesomatix a800
Thank you
Bob doesn't buy the cars and then spec them into the library. We the car owner/end user do that. Buy the car, take the measurements and save the file, then send it to Bob so he can add to the library.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Want to add .02 to the raised diff height discussion. There are several of us that have been talking about it lately, including a few pro racers, since the Serpent Cobra GT 3.0 has the option to install spacers to raise the diffs front, rear or both by 5mm. The GT8 class are buggy based so lowering the car for onroad racing increases the arm and axle angles upward. Installing the diff spacers brings them back level while keeping the chassis low to the ground and in onroad form. This also affects the RC and CG of course. Once I get my new Cobra GT I'm going to take all the measurements for factory kit and then save a different file with the added diff spacer height so the difference can be seen and played with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.