Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Regarding maximizing grip what you want to do is minimize the load difference between all 4 tires as much as possible. That will provide the most grip assuming our tires behave the same as full scale tires do. To achieve this means minimizing the weight transfer under cornering, braking and accelerating. You do that by maximizing the track width as much as the rules allow, lowering the CG, and reducing the weight. Once you have achieved this goal then you move on to setup changes.

I consider there are four primary keys to realizing a successful setup:

1. Tires - There is no substitue for having the right tires.

2. Weight transfer balance - this is how the total weight transfer gets distributed between the front and rear tires. It is controlled by roll centres, springs, anti-roll bars, and shocks. Changing the distribution will affect over/understeer characteristics.

3. Overall stiffness - this is the overall stiffness in pitch and roll. Harder springs and stiffer anti-roll bars, less roll more difficult to drive. Softer easier to drive. My recommendation here is to run as soft as you can without scrubbing the chassis.

4. Camber/camber gain. This is all about maximizing the tire contact patch over the as much of the operating range as possible.

All three of these keys interact with each other so you can't look at each one in isolation. The old saying you can't make a change in one area without affecting something else is very true. This video talks about these keys and also provides a brief look as tire performance in terms of vertical load vs lateral load vs slip angle. This represents my philosophy on setup and is the basis for RC3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnVziwkWeA
Old 07-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just putting this out there, if you're running a MD2 and have communication errors. I use a older XP notebook, and ended up having to go into the system sub directory for the port assignments. I found that my default port speed was set at 9600 instead of the MD2 default setting. As well the port assignment kept defaulting to port 24, which is not a drop down choice for the run file either. Once I manually corrected both of these items it functioned correctly.

Bob, not sure if you missed the last part of my previous post, but on your web site, the video for "RCTech Question - Effect of changing upper link position versus Shimming Hinge Pin" come up as unavailable. I have tried this on two differnt machines so I don't think its the drivers.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Bob, not sure if you missed the last part of my previous post, but on your web site, the video for "RCTech Question - Effect of changing upper link position versus Shimming Hinge Pin" come up as unavailable. I have tried this on two differnt machines so I don't think its the drivers.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was doing some housekeeping on the Youtube Channel and must have deleted it. I'll remove the link from the website.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Bob, Just going through a trial of RC Crew Chief. Love it and will definitely purchase it.
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but do you have any plans to incorporate shock specification details specifically piston type and fluid being used in the future. If in fact that's thats even possible. My personal interest would be for off road but the same would apply for on road users.

Lindsay
Old 07-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gtext
Bob, Just going through a trial of RC Crew Chief. Love it and will definitely purchase it.
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but do you have any plans to incorporate shock specification details specifically piston type and fluid being used in the future. If in fact that's thats even possible. My personal interest would be for off road but the same would apply for on road users.

Lindsay
That's actually the next major upgrade I'm planning. I have been working with another engineer who has built a shock dyno and is sharing the data he has gathered with me. A basic shock model is working that correlates fairly well but still needs work. Progress is slow on my end right now as finding free time during the summer is difficult. The current model is based on bladder shocks but I hope to get it to work for emulsion shocks as well. The model shows effects of piston holes, viscosity, temperature, and velocity on shock force.

If you flip back a couple pages I posted some graphs that compare the test data to the model.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BobW
That's actually the next major upgrade I'm planning. I have been working with another engineer who has built a shock dyno and is sharing the data he has gathered with me. A basic shock model is working that correlates fairly well but still needs work. Progress is slow on my end right now as finding free time during the summer is difficult. The current model is based on bladder shocks but I hope to get it to work for emulsion shocks as well. The model shows effects of piston holes, viscosity, temperature, and velocity on shock force.

If you flip back a couple pages I posted some graphs that compare the test data to the model.
Thanks Bob for the speedy reply.
That's good news and I fully appreciate the difficulty of finding the spare time.
I'll go back and view the post your referring to.
Look forward to the update when it's done.

Lindsay
Old 08-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have an ARC 2015 and am using RC Crew Chief. Great program Bob, and very informative regarding setup.

I'm wondering if anyone has done all the measurements on this model and could post them. I've used the Capricorn Arc measurements for most of my setups and have compared them with the 2015 measurements that I've done, but I'd like to do a comparison with someone else's measurements.

Anybody have those measurements?

Thanks,

JB
Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

I sent an email to David Spashett who created the original model to see if he has an updated version he would be willing to share.

I would be happy to look your model over if you want to email it to me. Just export the file from the "Car Manager".
Old 08-06-2015, 04:05 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry JB, no luck on my end getting a model to compare to. As I said I will be happy to have a look at what you have and let you know if I see anything that looks out of whack.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

hi,

quick question
what platform does this software run??? Windows 10.1??? Android???
Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hobbs
hi,

quick question
what platform does this software run??? Windows 10.1??? Android???
Runs on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10. I believe it still works on XP as well but since MS doesn't support XP anymore I'm not sure how much longer that will last. It will not run on Android or iOS.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Runs on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10. I believe it still works on XP as well but since MS doesn't support XP anymore I'm not sure how much longer that will last. It will not run on Android or iOS.
Thanks.

I just want to be 100% sure.
As I am planning to get a tablet which runs Window 10.1
So this rc crew chief can runs on Window 10.1, right???
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i upgraded my computer last night to 10 and it still works so you should be fine
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hobbs
Thanks.

I just want to be 100% sure.
As I am planning to get a tablet which runs Window 10.1
So this rc crew chief can runs on Window 10.1, right???
I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 as well and it works fine. I haven't tested on 10.1" tablets but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Make sure the screen resolution is at least 1366x768 for best results as the GUI was designed using that resolution.

You also have a 7 day free trial period to make sure it works.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry JB, no luck on my end getting a model to compare to. As I said I will be happy to have a look at what you have and let you know if I see anything that looks out of whack.
Thanks Bob. As usual, you are always helpful and give great support for your product.

I think I will wait until I change my chassis in September and do my measurements then. If I need some assistance then I'll be knocking on your door.

JB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.