R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 AM   #511
Tech Adept

Thanks Bob & Erchn will do that no hardware changes just OS thanks.

Yokomo BD7 15 & 16, Motiv 13,5, 3 Racing F113 21.5 & SP1 F1, Serpent 120LTX
Triplec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 AM   #512
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RC Crew Chief Version 4.1 has been released. The main focus of this release is in the area of Flywheel Dyno Analysis and Brushed/Brushless motor modelling. The new version provides great tools and insights into optimizing vehicle and motor performance. Should be very helpful for Blinky Racers’.

Here are a couple screenshots and some Youtube video links that explain it better than I can in words.

Flywheel Dyno Analysis and Creating Motor Models
Importing Motor Models from Website
Analysing Motor Timing and Gearing
Attached Thumbnails
RC Crew Chief Software-motorcompare.png   RC Crew Chief Software-motormodel.png  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

nice job Bob

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #514
Tech Addict

Thanks Azeroth one thing about software is there are always improvements to make. On that subject here is another batch of models just uploaded to the website library.

Xray T4 '14 updated to include steering model
VBC D07
Tekno ET-48
Schumacher Cat SX/SX2
TeamC TM4

www.rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/Download.aspx
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #515
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Any chance of the Serpent Spyders being added to the off-road models?
shagino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 AM   #516
Tech Addict

If I can get my hands on one then yes but I don't know of anyone who runs Serpent Buggies in my area. The best way is to create the model your self. You just need digital calipers and some time to dismantle and take accurate measurements. These videos go through measuring a B44.2 and then entering the numbers into RC3.

Measuring the B44.2
Entering the Model

I am available via email to help you through the process if you decide to give it a try.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #517
Tech Regular

When last I visited the dyno entry I had difficulty entering my Facts Dyno dataset. Subsequently I have upgraded my computer and Windoze software and recently downloaded the 4.1 upgrade.

Rather than trying again to upload my dyno data, I thought I could just match the curve from the dyno to the motor curve on RC Crewchief by viewing them in their respective software windows side-by side (rather than have them overlapping).
However I could not create a motor model from scratch in RC Crewchief; I kept getting errors. Is this correct that I actually need to import the data to create the motor model?
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:44 AM   #518
Tech Addict

In order to create a model you must have RPM, Voltage, Current and time data from a dyno run that you can import. You also need enough data points. The MD2 Dyno samples at 50 hz (.02sec) intervals so for a 2 second run you get 100 data points. If you want to look at a data file download one of the motor model .zip files on the website. The dyno data files used to create the models are included. You can open those files using RC3, Excel or any software that can read a text file.

You can manually create a file just make sure you have 20+ data points. The more data points the better.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #519
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Any thoughts on doing pan car modeling?
WCICS.ca club rep. www.krcracing.ca
SLOWINSLOWOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #520
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bob,

I have a MD2, one thing I would like RC crew chief to show is run time. I believe that data matters just as much as anything else. When it comes to adjusting time, data will show that the motor will reach RPM's at different times. I've attempted to use your product in the past but never really got around to having the time for it. Things have changed especially with this new dyno feature have sparked a new interest for me. It saves me a bunch of time messing with excel (which i'm horrible at).

Great product, looking forward to using this much more in the future.

REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #521
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT View Post
Any thoughts on doing pan car modeling?
I've thought about it but really haven't had many inquiries. So it's doubtful.

Quote:
I have a MD2, one thing I would like RC crew chief to show is run time. I believe that data matters just as much as anything else. When it comes to adjusting time, data will show that the motor will reach RPM's at different times. I've attempted to use your product in the past but never really got around to having the time for it. Things have changed especially with this new dyno feature have sparked a new interest for me. It saves me a bunch of time messing with excel (which i'm horrible at).

Great product, looking forward to using this much more in the future.
If you decide to try importing a MD2 dyno file there are two lines of data at the end of the dyno file you will need to delete. Import the file into Excel or notepad and delete the last two lines.

When you import a dyno file the RPM vs time is graphed first. Is that what you are referring to as runtime?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #522
Tech Initiate

Hi Bob I’m from the land down under and noticed you are online
I have your program (3weeks now) and am very happy with it I am reading page 6 on RC tech so
I don’t know if you have answered my query on the remaining pages that I will peruse.
My question is in the program where you calculate the spring values My springs are mostly 25mm in length, I have two 28mm springs that I want to use they are 6 coils spread over the 28mm length
Where’s my other springs have six coils spread over the 25mm when I enter the wire diameter inside diameter and number of coils there is no consideration to the length of the spring would this effect the
Calculation
Looking forward to your reply
Caprice1
HPI Vorza in retirement : AE B4.1 in retirement
Caprice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #523
Tech Addict

The free length of the spring doesn't enter into the basic spring rate equation. Only the number of active coils, wire diameter and spring diameter determine the spring rate. Comparisons I have done to measured rates show the calculated value is normally within 10%. Always use measured values when available.

In your case with two identical springs with the free length is slightly different there will be a measureable difference in the spring rate. The taller spring being slightly softer. The difference would be very small.

When using the spring rate calculator make sure you enter the number of "Active Coils". Normally the first and last coils are considered inactive.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #524
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW View Post
I've thought about it but really haven't had many inquiries. So it's doubtful.

If you decide to try importing a MD2 dyno file there are two lines of data at the end of the dyno file you will need to delete. Import the file into Excel or notepad and delete the last two lines.

When you import a dyno file the RPM vs time is graphed first. Is that what you are referring to as runtime?
Yes that's what I'm referring to, the run time.

REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #525
Tech Addict

If you want to include the spin up time there is a notes section attached to each motor model where you can record that. The models do simulate the effect you see on track with higher timing the motor just continues to spin up on long straights.

Once you have a motor model you can assign it to a car and use the acceleration page to look at how acceleration, speed, RPM, motor current are effected by gearing and motor timing. Some interesting stuff here. Great for comparative tests.