R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #331
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW View Post
One of the biggest requests I've had has been for access from smart phones and tablets. Well, I'm pretty sure I've found out how to do it, it's free and I don't have to modify 30,000 lines of code.

It's called Logmein (log me in) a program that allows you to access your windows laptop or desktop from anywhere and run the apps on it. Best of all it's free for personal use. You download and install a program on you windows system and one on your smart phone or tablet.

It's seems to be a very well known and respected program used by lots of companies to allow employees access their work computers from home. I've been playing with RC3 through my iPhone for a few hours now and it works great.

Check it out and decided for yourself!

https://secure.logmein.com/products/Free/
I love IT! Thank you for the tip.

I took those weights off I mentioned in our email correspondance, and it lowered the CG back down. Coupled with balanced spring rates, shocks, and roll centers - the car handles and drives like it is on rails. It is stable down bumpy straight aways, off jumps, and it's so easy to transition back and forth thru s curves, and this is on an off road course. I'm rebuilding the gear diff since I feel that ball diffs are a bad idea on an offroad modded buggy - this will add that weight again, but in the right place. After seeing the numbers, and experiencing the affects of a high CG, now I know why we want it as low as possible.

By the way, my buggy has a 30 deg "kickup" in the front. How would I go about measuring the front suspension parameters with this setup.

My initial intro, review, and conclusion of RC^3:
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

(Back to on-road stuff - sorry to deviate)

Last edited by Silverexpress; 12-20-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #332
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I love IT! Thank you for the tip.
By the way, my buggy has a 30 deg "kickup" in the front. How would I go about measuring the front suspension parameters with this setup.
Sorry didn't notice your edited post.

The Y1 point should be the average height of the hinge pin. Measure the highest and lowest position of the hinge pin relative to the underside of the chassis and take the average of the two numbers. Subtract 1/2 of the hinge pin diameter and that is your number. This places the hinge pin height at the mid point of the plane formed by the suspension arm.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #333
Tech Apprentice

Thank you.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #334
Tech Addict

Been doing a little experimenting over the last few days exploring methods to remotely change the program database. I'm now confident I have a method to safely do it. It needs to be well tested before it's released so I need a couple experienced users to volunteer as Beta testers. This will involve installing a second copy of the program as the test bed and then doing your best to uncover bugs. Your current version of the program will not be affected. Any takers?

My current thinking for changes to the Database are:
Chassis Manager
  • Inner Hinge Pin Position - Add option for Horizontal offsets
  • Outer Hub Position - Add option for Vertical Offsets
  • Shock Position - Option to define upper/lower shock positions as XY coordinates
Car Manager
  • Add Aero and Tire Rolling resistance coefficients
Any other suggestions?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #335
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

sure thing bob would love to try and crash it <G>system here has multiple drives and win 7 pro

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #336
Tech Addict

Thanks Azeroth I was hoping you would jump in. I'll let you know when it ready for testing.

Anymore volunteers?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #337
Tech Apprentice

Bob,

Would please add Y2 and Y2N for the lower shock mounting holes. Also is the shock oil info just a place holder for now? Would it be possible to factor in dampening - Over damped vs underdamped. Basically, I look for two conditions, the car/trucks ability to handle a rippled surface vs. it's ability to land from a certain height without bottoming out. If I can have a starting point to work from it will make it easier to choose the right oil weight....underdampened/dampened/overdampened.

The fluid flow from "what I gather" inside a shock is determined by the inner diameter of the shock body, the piston diameter (minus the shock body's inner diameter provides the gapping the fluid can pass thru), the holes drilled into the pistons, and the allowable travel distance for the piston.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #338
Tech Addict

I will be making changes to the options for shock mounting positions in this update. Right now I'm still working on the changes to the suspension links. This has turned into wayyyyy more work than I anticipated. I seem to have forgotten just how complex this program is.

Regarding the shock damping that will have to wait. In order to do something useful in this area I really need test data to validate the model. That means building a shock dyno

Any more volunteers for Beta testing?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #339
Tech Apprentice

Hello Bob,

I have a question. In the CG Calculator the Front and Rear Wheel Track are based on the center line of the wheels; however, in the Chassis page the Track is relative to the outer edges of the tires or is it the wheels?. Which page shows the correct reference picture?

Last edited by Silverexpress; 01-08-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #340
Tech Apprentice

duplicate
Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #341
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Hello Bob,

I have a question. In the CG Calculator the Front and Rear Wheel Track are basaed on the centerline of the wheels; however, in the Chassis page the Track is relative to the outer edges of the tires or is it the wheels?. Which page shows the correct reference picture?
They are both correct it just depends what you are doing. When you measure the car the value to enter for the track width is to the outside face of the tires as shown in the graphic in the Chassis Manager.

For calculation purposes the program uses the centreline of the tire for track width. This value is determined internally based on the track width and tire width entered in the Chassis Manager. The CG calculator uses and displays this value on the form. If you want to change the calculated value displayed in the CG Calculator then yes enter the track width to the centreline of the tire as shown in the graphic.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #342
Tech Apprentice

Thank you. I have a few more requests....

1. Add a 3rd column to the Camber Link and Hinge Pin Shims pop up windows. This will allow us to assign letter and # designations to the actual positions.

1A. In the Handling > Suspension popup add the current positions shown at the bottom, for example:

"Current:1A", Designates Inner Camber Link hole #1 and Outer Camber Link hole A chosen.

"Current:2C-H1", Designates Inner Camber Link hole #2, Outer Camber Link hole C, and Hinge Pin position 1 chosen.
Attached Thumbnails
RC Crew Chief Software-camber-link-positions-designations.jpg   RC Crew Chief Software-screenshot_2014-01-08-12-10-32.png   RC Crew Chief Software-screenshot_2014-01-08-12-11-17.png  

Last edited by Silverexpress; 01-08-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #343
Tech Addict

Thanks for the suggestions. I can easily add a column to allow a designation # to be assigned the alternate pin positions. It would be optional to fill in but could be useful in correlating between the Manual and the Model.

In the suspension pop up when you change the link positions from those in the current setup I think showing the old link position as a cross hair in a different colour would be easier to visualize. That shouldn't be hard to implement either.

I finally got all the mods to the suspension links working properly (I think). Now you can have alternate vertical positions at the hub/bearing carrier and horizontal offset on the inner hinge pin. Track Width and Droop are also now set on the Setup page. Screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails
RC Crew Chief Software-image-1.png  
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #344
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hmm couldn't just change axle in hub ok just have to remember moving bottom must move top as well

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #345
Tech Addict

I'm using hubs like the rear on the Mugen MBX6T as a reference. It has two positions for the hub lower hinge pin.

If you want to change the offset of the axle but keep the kingpin length the same then as you said you would need to change both the upper and lower hub mounting points. With the way the program is setup now you have 10 million (yes that's right) possible positions for the suspension links. That should be enough to solve any problem.