RC Crew Chief Software >

RC Crew Chief Software

Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Got the software earlier and tried setting up a T4.

Done something to the front outer camber link settings and now it won't let me edit them or correct them.
Also doesn't properly explain what was wrong with what I did?

Just tried to add the vertical offset's for the outer link ranging from 0 through to 2mm in 0.5mm increments.

Skiddins
Email me the model and I will have a look.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
The thing that worries me about a user created file is the possible error tolerances. .1 mm at a hinge pin mount can throw everything else off a tad. Bob, do you plan to ever take the measurements? Are you using precision equipment to do this or are you just using a caliper?

Dave
I just use digital calipers. I would say accuracy would be +/- .1mm if you are very careful with the measurements. Give the same car to two different people and you will definitely end up with slightly different models.

What I always do when I finish a model is do a side by side visual comparison between the real thing and the graphic image displayed in the chassis manager. Placing the chassis on setup wheels or a stand helps with this. Notice any differences and check your numbers.

The important thing to remember is we are looking for the relative effect a specific change will have whether it's a gear ratio change or a shock spring. Does that change move the performance in the direction I want and what is the magnitude of the change big or small.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobW
I just use digital calipers. I would say accuracy would be +/- .1mm if you are very careful with the measurements. Give the same car to two different people and you will definitely end up with slightly different models.

What I always do when I finish a model is do a side by side visual comparison between the real thing and the graphic image displayed in the chassis manager. Placing the chassis on setup wheels or a stand helps with this. Notice any differences and check your numbers.

The important thing to remember is we are looking for the relative effect a specific change will have whether it's a gear ratio change or a shock spring. Does that change move the performance in the direction I want and what is the magnitude of the change big or small.
Bob to you plan to model the T4? A bit over a month you said you were going to be working on it didn't you?

Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Someone else had said they would create a T4 model and send it to me. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. If it shows up I'll post it as soon as I have it.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

That sucks. Really hoped you were creating these models.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
That sucks. Really hoped you were creating these models.
Maybe you can help??
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

I tried before and every time I'd measure I'd get a different reading which is why I hoped he'd do it. I have no confidence in my ability to produce a reliable set of data. Those .1 mm,s add up quickly when measure pin height, etc.

Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

I don't expect any better than .1 mm (.004 in.)when taking measurements. That's the width if a human hair. I can offer assistance on techniques I use for specific components if that would help you.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

I don't expect any better than .1 mm (.004 in.)when taking measurements. That's the width if a human hair. I can offer assistance on techniques I use for specific components if that would help you.
Perhaps you could mention the techniques anyway, so if anyone wants to sort out the model for any new car they'll have the basics of what to do.

Skiddins
Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 AM
Tech Addict

Next model I create I'll work on recording a youtube video.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I wish there was one locally I could borrow. In a hour or so I could have measurements with 5 μm accuracy!

Mike Slaughter
Attached Thumbnails RC Crew Chief Software-tamiya-rear-hub.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Would be nice to have a coordinate measuring machine. Sure would make life easier, and more accurate.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

I think some people may be getting wound a little too tight for accuracy of measurements for a car setup program. Sure if your software is designing a car to go into production, all those .1mm stacking up can cause problems, but again we are talking about a software program that allows use to sit in our underwear on a rainy day and analyze the effects adjustments might have on our race car without wearing out tires, burning fuel or charging batteries. I think the above quote is important to keep in mind in regards to what the software was intended to do.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The ultimate would be a partnership with RC Crew Chef and the car manufactures. They have the CAD data. They could easily extract all the measurements for a base setup that could be imported to Crew Chief and than users could adjust as needed. Can't get much more accurate than that.

We can all dream
Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
The ultimate would be a partnership with RC Crew Chef and the car manufactures. They have the CAD data. They could easily extract all the measurements for a base setup that could be imported to Crew Chief and than users could adjust as needed. Can't get much more accurate than that.

We can all dream
In a perfect world. To bad we don't live in one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.